Breastfeeding after Reduction - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-17-2013, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all-

I know that there are posts available in the archives, but I was hoping to connect with some other currently expecting mommas who are in a similar situation.  

I am currently 27 weeks  along with my second baby.  My first is 2y 9 mos.  I had a reduction approximately 14 years ago.  With my first,  i didn't do much to prepare for breastfeeding during pregnancy, had a very slow start and never produced enough to EBF.  We supplemented starting day 6 after DS lost 1lb.  I breastfeed until 14 weeks.  I used fenugreek and mother's milk tea, sought guidance from an LC but never made enough. 

I really, really want to try again.   Is anyone in a similar situation or has been?  Is there anything i can do before delivery to prepare my body to make more? I am going to see if insurance will cover an LC visit before I deliver but am also requesting to see LC immediately after delivery and access a hospital grade pump if that's what i should do?

Any guidance and support is so greatly appreciated!

WOHM   geek.gif , wife to fuzmalesling.gif since 10/07, momma to jog.gif born 8/22/10 and belly.gifEDD 8/16/13

#2 of 9 Old 05-17-2013, 11:06 PM

I haven't had a reduction, but hopefully this post will bring your post to the top of the list and catch the attention of someone who has. Good luck mama! 

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#3 of 9 Old 05-18-2013, 06:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hey there, 

I have not had a reduction, but I *suspect* I have insufficient mammary glands for full production due to a congenital disorder, leaving me in a similar position. I became very depressed when I began to have this suspicion, and though I am trying to wait and see... I can't help but fear that I will not be able to EBF, if I can even BF at all. 

So... I too have been wondering what I can do to improve my supply, and if that's not possible, to learn more about at breast suplementers and how to choose a formula. From what I have read so far ("Nursing Mother's Companion," sections of "Pregnancy, Childbirth and the Newborn," and the relevant La Leche League articles), most of what we can do comes after the baby is born, though it makes sense to learn about those options now rather than in the early post-partum period. 

One thing I have read that may give you a better shot this time around (and me a better shot next time) is that our bodies make more mammary glands with each pregnancy. So theoretically, you should have more "equipment" to work with now than with your first. 

I am definitely planning on meeting with an LC prior to birth to discuss options, even if it means paying for her services out of pocket. If nothing else, I want someone to talk to about this, and it's something I haven't yet been able to bring up to my husband. 

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#4 of 9 Old 05-18-2013, 06:25 PM

I have insufficient glandular tissue (IGT) and so making enough has always been a challenge for me  " the breastfeeding mother's guide to making more milk"  is the book you want to read.  It is the most complrehensive resource I've found for mama's with low supply.  Check out the breastfeeding challenges section here.  there used to be a thread on there for low supply IGT mama's that could be helpful.

Mama of 3 little boys - DS1 4/08, DS2 4/09, DS3 12/11

#5 of 9 Old 05-20-2013, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Momsteader:  Thanks for the bump up!

Cynthiamoon: Thank you for your comments. While i am hoping that this time around will be different, I really would like to do something now if possible like taking supplements or anything.   The wait and see approach was very hard for me last time because once baby arrived I didn't know if my milk would come in, if ever and became very stressed about feeding baby and making sure he was hydrated.   This time i will have formula on hand from day one in needed, but then again what i "know" from reading and reading is that feeding as much and on demand is what will help stimulate the breasts to make milk.  I just don't know if it will be enough. ever.

If you don't mind, i would love to hear how your LC appt goes and any tips they have.  I can do the same once I have mine.

Fnpmama: Thanks for the resource. Its on its way from Amazon!  I have also checked out the BFAR site repeatedly.  I did peruse the IGT thread after posting in the challenges section.  It was helpful to read others stories and some suggestions. I was just hoping to connect with others in more "real-time" who are preparing for a similar situation, but thank you so much for replying :)

WOHM   geek.gif , wife to fuzmalesling.gif since 10/07, momma to jog.gif born 8/22/10 and belly.gifEDD 8/16/13

#6 of 9 Old 05-20-2013, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would be happy to do share what I learn as I go and when I meet with an LC. Just so you know though, I don't think we'll be scheduling the Appt until June due to being quite busy at the moment.

Let me know how you like that book when you start in on it. I'm tempted to get a copy also, but I'm trying to keep my impulses in check-- if not I'd have a whole library by now!

I promised myself I'd finish the last one we got before moving on. As a pair of committed nerds, books are like an addiction in our household.

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#7 of 9 Old 05-20-2013, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

So i just got of the phone with the LC at the birth center.   She said she would be happy to answer a few questions over the phone, but since they can't bill, usually don't see pts. prior to delivery.  She was pretty helpful.  Some things she told me:

No supplements before birth

They will start me on a hospital-grade pump almost immediately after delivery, then get my regular pump through insurance. (hospital grade pump is not something i did last time around) 

Encouraged use of SNS, something i had last time but didn't use as it was not encouraged by the LC i did see.

She also recommended the Making More Milk book (that's like the 15th person to suggest it!)  and checking out Jack Newman's site. 

#8 of 9 Old 05-20-2013, 06:25 PM

Hello :) I am an IBCLC and work with Diana West (author of Making More Milk) so I definitely recommend that!  And I am glad you found bfar.org. I would also suggest lowmilksupply.org- the companion site to the book.  What type of reduction did you have?  A lot of times that can make a big difference in how much milk you are able to produce.  Definitely getting set up with a hospital grade pump ahead of time (with correct-fitting flanges! Almost nobody fits in the standard medium size), taking galactagogues (you will find in the book that fenugreek and MM tea are actually pretty weak, and there are lots of other great alternatives!). Also, a prenatal consult with an IBCLC would probably be very beneficial, in addition to support in those early days. Good luck!

Amy

Amy, mommy to Ava, 6, Gavin, 4, Lila, 2, and Baby #4 due in early November! joy.gif
#9 of 9 Old 05-21-2013, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Amy: Thank you for your reply.   My surgery was about 15 years ago, and actually I don't know the name of the type of reduction, but the nipple was not completely removed and remained attached.  I did have a good amount of tissue removed however, going from a DD to a B cup. 

As an IBLC do you recommend any supplements before delivery?  The LC I spoke with did not, but I have heard that Alfalfa might be helpful and is safe in pregnancy?  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page