Constipated and Fed up - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 05-19-2013, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ugh! I've just tried to go to the loo - and within two seconds of starting I've had that horrible thought "oh no! Not this *again*!!!"

I'm so constipated.

Was on the loo for an hour - trying every position imaginable on the toilet seat - with nothing to show for my efforts! (sorry for tmi, but it feels like it is twice the size of my bum!)

Can anyone else relate? xx

#2 of 13 Old 05-19-2013, 11:42 AM

Definitely!! I ended up taking a cheap probiotic to help curb what I thought was a mild yeast infection (turned out to be simply pregnancy crotch :-/ ) and a side effect was that it helped regulate my bowels! I mean I'm not perfect now but it really helped... It's pretty cheap (I literally went with the cheapest I could find in the vitamin aisle at my bargain grocery store) and easy to try so I've been spreading the word. I hope you find relief soon! Constipation is my second most dreaded pregnancy symptom, right after vomiting/nausea hug.gif
#3 of 13 Old 05-19-2013, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Try eating 10 prunes a day. Much easier than it sounds

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
#4 of 13 Old 05-19-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarebell60 View Post

Ugh! I've just tried to go to the loo - and within two seconds of starting I've had that horrible thought "oh no! Not this *again*!!!"

I'm so constipated.

Was on the loo for an hour - trying every position imaginable on the toilet seat - with nothing to show for my efforts! (sorry for tmi, but it feels like it is twice the size of my bum!)

Can anyone else relate? xx

I have horrendous constipation no matter what I eat during pregnancy, not even prunes, although they help a littlle.  Hemmoirrhoids can become really serious.   I have seen several doctors about both issues and they ALL tell me the same thing: metamucil dissolvable fiber.

I have 2 drinks a day of this mixed into orange juice and it works like a charm;-)

If I forget even one drink, I'm borderline unable to go for the day.  Sorry you gotta deal with those wacky hormones!

#5 of 13 Old 05-22-2013, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Have you tried a magnesium supplement like NaturalCalm? It does a wonderful job of keeping me regular, but I have never been constipated to the degree you mentioned. I'd also second a high-quality probiotic. It's beneficial for many GI things, but should help with constipation too. Sorry you are going through this!!!

Happily married to DH 

Stay-at-home mama to DS1 (01/12) & DS2 (01/14)

#6 of 13 Old 05-22-2013, 07:26 PM

I have to exercise in order to go, but heaven forbid I end up walking where there is no restroom nearby! When it happens it is quite urgent. I seem to go from one extreme to another!

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#7 of 13 Old 05-23-2013, 08:41 AM

Prunes did nothing for me but black beans got things moving.  That and using a step stool in a similar fashion to the squatty potty.  Black beans, lots of black beans.

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

#8 of 13 Old 05-23-2013, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone - I did manage to get some relief in the end.

I'm curious about the raising feet thing - does it help you to push harder?

#9 of 13 Old 05-23-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:

Thanks everyone - I did manage to get some relief in the end.

I'm curious about the raising feet thing - does it help you to push harder?

From what I understand, squatting or raising your feet on a stool unkinks your colon, making it easier to pass stool without straining. Seasoned squatters, help me out wink1.gif
#10 of 13 Old 05-24-2013, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycheattraffic View Post

From what I understand, squatting or raising your feet on a stool unkinks your colon, making it easier to pass stool without straining. Seasoned squatters, help me out wink1.gif

Yes. Squatting is not about being able to push harder, it is actually about having to push less. The position straightens out your colon and in my experience, everything comes out quicker, easier, and cleaner. On a particularly consitpated day I may still sit for 5-10 min to give it some time to work through, but I'm not straining. I had been trying this position with the edge of my bathtub and/or a small footstool for the last few months, and then a few weeks ago I saw an ad here on MDC for the squatty potty. With the MDC coupon the cheaper model was only $30 i think, and the shipping was quick. I've been using it for two weeks now and I really like it. DW isn't pregnant and she is using it too, with rave reveiws!

My wife (30) and I (32) have been legally married since 2006. We are proud queer mamas to baby W, born 10/10/2013.
#11 of 13 Old 05-24-2013, 05:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycheattraffic View Post

When I was pregnant the ONLY way I could have a comfortable bathroom experience was with a small stool in front of the toilet.  It works wonders!

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012.  Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013.
#12 of 13 Old 05-24-2013, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice.

My only worry would be - what happens if you need to have a BM when you are not at home (e.g. one of my worst nightmares - in a stall of a public toilet) - and you don't have anything to raise your feet up with?

I'd be worried that I'd become used to having my feet raised - and wouldn't be able to go without doing so (especially if you're sitting there thinking about it).

Does it seem a valid concern?

#13 of 13 Old 05-24-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the advice.

My only worry would be - what happens if you need to have a BM when you are not at home (e.g. one of my worst nightmares - in a stall of a public toilet) - and you don't have anything to raise your feet up with?

I'd be worried that I'd become used to having my feet raised - and wouldn't be able to go without doing so (especially if you're sitting there thinking about it).

Does it seem a valid concern?

Yes, very valid and good question! I was a little worried about this the first time I had to use a public restroom also, and found myself looking around the stall wondering how feasible it would be to prop up at least one of my legs against the wall. it was pretty comical. The thing that I have found after doing this a few times is that the squatting does not actually condition your body to only go when squatted. It makes it all around easier/more comfortable when you can squat, but it's not like you lose muscle memory and can now only go in that position. My ability to go without squatting has been as good/bad as it was before the assistance of a stool/tub/squatty potty - no better, but no worse.

My wife (30) and I (32) have been legally married since 2006. We are proud queer mamas to baby W, born 10/10/2013.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page