Round Ligament and Pelvic Pain - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-22-2013, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I suffer through sever ligament pain during pregnancy and pelvic pain.  I even have issues when I'm not pregnant.  I found this great article yesterday and after years of issues I feel like I found the answer and have hope! I wanted to share.

www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/pubicpain.htm      Plus size has nothing to do with the pain btw. I'm not plus size.

All the other moms I talk to about the ligament pain don't really share in my experience.  My pain is daily and pretty extreme.   My midwife put me on CALM plus calcium and it has helped but not banished the pain.  I also have pubic pain.  Right in the front of my VA-JJ.  My ligament pain started early around 11 weeks and pelvic pain has been increasingly getting worse starting a few weeks ago.  I'm 24 weeks now.  I have issues with pelvic pain when not pregnant as well.  Now the pain is always there.  When I walk or carry heavy things it's extreme.  I feel like all my stuff is going to fall out of me.  

I have of course discussed this with my midwifes in my previous 2 pregnancies and this current one.  I always get it's normal pregnancy stuff.  My last midwife told me my ligament pain will be worse with each subsequent pregnancy.  Great, so I should be immobilized and almost dead by the time I stop having kids! The pain can last hours and seems to be the worse at night.  I had a very scary experience one night a few weeks ago.  I woke with ligament pain and had to pee when I stepped out of bed the pain was so severe.  I barley made it to the toilet.  I got all hot and felt like vomiting the pain was so intense.  I thought I was going to black out.  I peed and made it back to bed and it subsided after 30 minutes or so.  I told my midwife and she said it happens.  Like getting a charley horse and the pain can be that severe.  

To me it just doesn't seem right or just to be normal pregnancy stuff.  I asked my midwife if there was ANYTHING else I could do! I was up for 2 hours the other night in extreme pain.  She said see a chiropractor.  I googled what they would do for me and found the article.  Bingo Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction!!!!!!

I believe mine started pushing out my first born.  I had her in the hospital and was made to forcefully push her out. (valsalva method) Hiking your legs back as far as they will go and having everyone scream at you PUSH! PUSH! 1-2...10 push MORE!!!!! I pushed my 9 lb 5oz baby out in 20 minutes for fear they would use forceps or the vacuum on her.  Or worse section me, if I didn't get her out in a timely manor.  I tore extremely bad. Internally and externally with labial tearing.  I then had hip pain for 8 MONTHS after her birth!  I felt like my hip had been dislocated.  That was almost 9 years ago.  I have suffered with pelvic pain, sciatica pain (shooting pain down the leg) and of course very painful pregnancies with no answers until yesterday.  It also causes your babies not to rotate properly during birth which would explain why my second was born face up, and my third sideways.  

My chiropractor appointment is tomorrow! First one ever.  I'm hoping for some relief! Also looking forward to having this baby come out the right way- I hear it's less painful! I really hope this helps any mamas suffering through sever pain like me but just keep being told it's normal. 

supermod.gif who isbelly.gifwith #4  has jumpers.gif . Believe in homeschool.gif,bfinfant.gif,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIF,h20homebirth.gif,goorganic.jpg,saynovax.gif

#2 of 11 Old 05-22-2013, 10:29 AM

Wow, I am so happy you are making progress towards finding an answer and getting the treatment you need! I don't have relevant experience to add, just wanted to say thanks for sharing that info -- hopefully it will help someone else!

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#3 of 11 Old 05-22-2013, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I too had it pretty bad, I couldn't lift my right leg high enough to put on panties or pants while standing. When I gave birth, I had such a hard time finding a way to push that was effective while managing the pain in my right leg and hip...

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
#4 of 11 Old 05-26-2013, 06:24 AM

I had terrible, bring-me-to-tears SPD with my 3rd, starting at 8 weeks!! Could feel and HEAR it popping and grinding. Yuck. Couldn't get out of bed without crying, could barely walk across the house without crying, etc. Chiro didn't help and my SI brace barely provided temporary relief. Thankfully mine went away with birth...my babe was 9lb10oz, 22",15.5" head, so I think his weight and engagement (which he did early on) contributed a lot.

However, with #4 I prevented it for most of the prenancy. For me, the key was keeping my SI joint released as well as my round ligaments. I never connected my lower back pain or RL pain with the SPD, but they totally are. I would do some exercises and stretches to release my SI joint whenever I started feeling sore in my back, and I would put pressure on my RL whenever it would pull or feel tight (the same as they do as part of the Webster technique in chiropractic). Made a HUGE difference!!!! Of course little things like trying to not move my hips side to side, sleepin with a pillow between my legs, etc, helped, but the others pretty much kept away instead of just lessening it.

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#5 of 11 Old 05-26-2013, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Well I went to the chiro Thursday morning (4 days ago).  She sorta listened to me.  She did a lot of work on my lower back, which is where it hurt while she was adjusting me.  I left very sore in the lower back and tail bone/butt. I hurt all night my back kept cracking and I barley slept.  I hurt just as bad on Friday.  My lower back seemed puffy and swollen.  When I stood on one leg to put my pants on my whole spine cracked deep inside.  Then I had shoulder and neck pain for the rest of the day as well as lower back and pelvic pain.  That night my RL pain returned.  Last night I was up with it again.  But today my back is much better.  No RL pain yet today.

What kind of stretches did you do to loosen you SI? I put pressure on my RL but it doesn't help.  Maybe I'm not in the right spot? I always sleep with a pillow between my legs and under my belly.  I found it absolutely amazing that it says in the article when you turn over at night keep your legs together.  Apparently that is something I never did but now that I'm aware to do it, it makes a HUGE difference.  

I never had popping and grinding. Well I did after the birth of my first for many months but that went away with hip pain after 8 months or so.  When I'm not pregnant I get bouts of pelvic pain.  Not often enough to send me to the doctor.  I will hurt for 3 or 4 days and go away for months.  Same with the sciatica pain.  It acts up but goes away in a few days.  Hence it's been almost 9 years and I never really sought treatment for anything.  I get a sore back every so often, but it is usually my shoulder blades (chicken wings we call them).  I never associate that with this problem.  Just that I over worked or slept on it wrong.  My belly belt doesn't me at all either.   

I'm going to try to talk more with the chiro this time and get answers of how long treatment will take and anything I can do to stop the pain and what in her opinion is really causing it.  I'm hoping after adjustment #2 I won't be in as much pain.  Most of all I want to RL pain to go away! It is worst at night and keeps me from sleeping.  It hurts so bad I can't move and I do lay there and cry.  It's funny bc when I'm upright it's usually better.  You would think that strains the ligament more? I hoisted my self up through the pain several nights ago and slept sitting upright against the wall.  It was better that way. 

If this chiro doesn't help me feel better after several visits I'm going to switch like the article says.

supermod.gif who isbelly.gifwith #4  has jumpers.gif . Believe in homeschool.gif,bfinfant.gif,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIF,h20homebirth.gif,goorganic.jpg,saynovax.gif

#6 of 11 Old 05-26-2013, 07:46 AM

Hope you get some relief soon!  It is quite miserable.

I did have a different chiro with #4 than I did with #3 and I think he was much better.  He adjusts differently than my previous chiro (uses the activators more than manual adjustments, and my body seems to respond so much better that way and it's not as painful!).  Plus the first wasn't trained in the Webster technique.

Here is a video on the SI release...it's not the original video I found that helped me so much, but it's close enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=q_96kCy0kYY#at=30

Here is a video on the RL spot, about 2 minutes in. (though sometimes I just run my fingers down the ligament until I feel a knot or tight spot):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Llp3trG7Pzo#at=39

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#7 of 11 Old 05-26-2013, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much! Going to do a little more reading on Webster Technique too and try the stretching. 

#8 of 11 Old 06-04-2013, 02:56 AM

I have PSD as well, I had it last pg too.  My husband is a Chiropractor, so I get adjustments frequently.  He specializes in activator (which is MUCH better for pregnancy) and does the Webster Technique on me.  I would probably be in even more pain if I wasn't able to get adjusted frequently.  It will take a good number of adjustments to really get things to where they're supposed to be, it sounds like an injury from long ago.  What will happen is the muscles (because muscles have memory) will push the bones back into misalignment after the adjustments.  This will happen less and less as you get adjusted more.  Also, because ligaments are so lax during pg adjustments don't hold as well.  Chiropractic is not a quick fix, it will take frequent adjustments for a while and after the pregnancy to heal but I'm happy you have found this as it really is a great tool.  I have for sure seen how it gets worse with each pregnancy.  This time I feel like my body is totally falling apart.  I have been lying down for weeks because if I stand for more than a minute or two the muscles under my ginormous belly spasm and cramp up.  I'm taking massive doses of calcium and magnesium (liquid) and that helps some with the pain, but I still can't be upright.  I feel crippled and I can't take care of my other children.  I really don't think my body can handle another pregnancy.  Hope you feel better soon! 

Holly, eternally in love partners.gif with Kolby, Raising Juelie Anise (10y), Behnjamin Shen (6y), and Coen Syaoran (4y). Expecting June 2013 2ndtri.gif

#9 of 11 Old 06-30-2013, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

*update*

So I've been going to the chiropractor for a little over a month now.  My pain has gotten better, 80-90% better! I have good days and bad.  However I am growing very rapidly now at 29 weeks.  I have big babies.  I'm able to make it through most nights without pain.  I find remembering to keep my legs together when rolling and moving to get up really helps me from straining anything and lifting my body with my arms and not my stomach muscles really helps too.  

I'm still on my feet all day and ofter over exert myself.  I find I feel better when I'm upright compare to sitting or lying though so...? I find a lot of errands in and out of the car and walking far in stores often sets off the pelvic pain and then the ligament pain.  I was in SO MUCH pain the other day in the store and was so grateful I made it to the lawn furniture to sit down.  I didn't want anyone calling an ambulance or anything.  I had very sever pain the other night as well.  I though for sure I would vomit and had to wake my husband and have him help me to the bathroom.  I have given in and taken Tylenol, 1- 500mg pill about 3 times now.  I HATE being helpless and in so much pain! I am grateful that I have gotten a lot better though.

I can't wait to give birth! However my DH and I have decided to have #5 asap.  We waited extra long to have this one bc I just wasn't ready.  She was suppose to be a he!  My DS who will be almost 4yo when she is born NEEDS a brother! He is stuck with 3 sisters and we have decided to try for another boy for him.  I would like to try the close in age thing bc that is something we have never done.  Also I'm getting old, but mostly I want to get the baby years over and done with and move on.  Just hope I survive #5 especially if it's right after this one!! Yes, I am crazy.  

#10 of 11 Old 07-01-2013, 04:47 PM

I have moderate to severe SPD and pelvic pain through all of my pregnancies.  I'm at the end of pregnancy #3 right now and I'll share with you what works for me.

My most extreme pain happens when I get up to go pee at night.  It seems that the longer I go without moving, the worse the spasms and pain are.

Mine has not gotten significantly worse with each pregnancy.

I find stretching and yoga aggravates it.  I was a yoga teacher through my first pregnancy, and there was a definite correlation between nights I would teach and pain.  I find bike riding to alleviate the pain and help my pelvis settle into a good position.

I find chiropractic care to be absolutely the most important thing to help.  BUT it is hard to find a good chiropractor who can really make a difference.  If you didn't like the first one, keep searching.  I've been through 7 chiros in 5 years and only had successful treatments with 3.

The more I move, the more I can move. The more I sit on the couch, the worse the pain is.

Hope this helps!

Julia, mama to Bumpa 2008, and The Mole 2011

#11 of 11 Old 07-02-2013, 04:36 PM

My SPD is much worse this pregnancy and this time I have sacrum and hip pain. Didn't with my first. Sitting on hard surfaces makes the pain so horrible. Standing and walking a lot in one day means sleeping will be painful. Also laying on my back at my prenatal usually triggers my sacrum to ache for a few days. Can't do that anymore.

I've been going to the chiropractor often this pregnancy and will now go every other week and possibly once a week.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page