Insurance for Exising Pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-24-2013, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone,

I am a non-US citizen who would be moving to the US in a few months with an existing pregnancy because my husband is picking up some research positions there, so I would not be the employed person. I would like to know whether health insurance providers would insure me and cover the pregnancy and delivery details whether as an individual or extension of my husband's insurance to me. Would this be private insurance or public insurance and what conditions needs to be fulfilled before one can sign up for public or private insurance.

Or is pregnancy and or delivery care covered by the state?

Please I would appreciate any suggestions as to insurance companies to contact or any advice or personal experiences that can help.

Thanks

Married to a great man and friend
#2 of 10 Old 05-24-2013, 05:19 AM

The first place to start is with your husband's insurance company. Do they allow family memebrs to be covered on the plan? If so, his insurance cost will likely go up but you and baby will be covered. If they allow family members then they have to allow you - you cannot be denied coverage based on the fact that you are pregnant.

May I ask which state you are moving to? If private insurance through your husband's plan is not an option, then you'll want to contact the state (not US federal government) about your options. The recent healthcare law requires all states to have insurance "exchanges", but it is still being implemented so I'm not positive but I believe there are still some states that do not have their exchanges set up yet. An exchange is a state-sponsored way for people who don't otherwise have access to insurance through their employer or famly to buy into a private plan at a reduced rate.

Lastly, if none of the above is an option for you, then you are going to need to look into a last resort option. Either purchasing private insurance individually (which will be very expensive) or researching whther you qualitfy for a public option, such as medicaid, schip, etc. I know very little about these public options but hopefully someone else can chime in.

Good luck!

My wife (30) and I (32) have been legally married since 2006. We are proud queer mamas to baby W, born 10/10/2013.
#3 of 10 Old 05-24-2013, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Idk, sometimes they do deny you because your pregnant, they consider it a "pre-existing" condition. From my experience, usually only medicaid will take you, and that varies state to state.
I was on NC medicaid with my 2nd pregnancy, and moved to NJ when I was 6 months along, I couldn't even get medicaid there. So I tried one of those discount medical plans, they make it look great on the Web site, but when I received the details in the mail, they really would only cover up to 5% of my delivery and postpartum stay. Which wasn't worth the $200 a month I was paying to belong to this discount plan! Especially since they advertise saving you 25-50%! So I dropped it. Ended up having to pay out of pocket for the whole thing :-\

Id start by getting in touch with your DHs insurance and see if they will take you, if not get in touch with the medicaid office in that area or google medicaid in whatever state your moving to...

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
#4 of 10 Old 05-24-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LilChunklins View Post

Idk, sometimes they do deny you because your pregnant, they consider it a "pre-existing" condition.
Yes, this used to happen in the past, but it is illegal now. This was part of the recent Affordable Healthcare Act, aka Obamacare. It is now illegal to deny health insurance due to a pre-existing condition, including pregnancy.

My wife (30) and I (32) have been legally married since 2006. We are proud queer mamas to baby W, born 10/10/2013.
#5 of 10 Old 05-24-2013, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Oh, that's cool! I'm glad they changed it cuz it's really screwed up to discriminate against pregnant women like that.

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
#6 of 10 Old 05-24-2013, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

There isn't really a State healthcare option in the US.  If you meet certain conditions (pregnancy usually helps) you can qualify for publically-funded Medicaid to cover medical costs.  But you should find out if you qualify.  I'm not sure how immigration status affects your ability to qualify.

If your husband has insurance through his work, you should see if you can get on it.  His monthly contribution will probably go up, though.  It is possible for an insurance company to not accept you because they consider pregnancy a "pre-existing" condition.  While the recently passed Obamacare will make doing this illegal, my understanding is that it doesn't go into effect until 2014.

Otherwise you have an option of getting an individual plan from a private insurer, which is often very pricey.  Your state may already have set up some low-cost individual plans, though as someone mentioned not all states are doing this yet.

What a broken healthcare system we have in the US.

If there are any community women's clinics or Planned Parenthoods in the area, they sometimes offer advice about different healthcare services that are available to you in the area.

Excited, anxious and proud to be pregnant for the first time! My partner and I can't wait to meet the little boy sometime around Sept 20th.

#7 of 10 Old 05-25-2013, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmamita View Post

If your husband has insurance through his work, you should see if you can get on it.  His monthly contribution will probably go up, though.  It is possible for an insurance company to not accept you because they consider pregnancy a "pre-existing" condition.  While the recently passed Obamacare will make doing this illegal, my understanding is that it doesn't go into effect

Group insurance plans had to comply immediately (2010) with the new pre-existing condition regulation, so if her husband has insurance through his work that allows family members, it would be illegal right now for them to deny her coverage based on her pregnancy. The 2014 compliance date is only for those pricey individual plans that I listed above as a "last resort".

ETA: My apologies, the above is ONLY true for children under age 19. Lilmamita is correct that for adults it is not applicable until 2014. HOWEVER, still check with his employer anyway. Just because they CAN deny you coverage doesn't mean they actually will. Insurance plans are an employee benefit here, so many companies sign up for plans with good terms in order to attract the best employees. My company, for example, which is not particularly large or wealthy, has never offered a plan with a pre-existing condition exclusion.

#8 of 10 Old 05-25-2013, 05:14 PM

If your husband is working for a university, I think they are likely to have decent insurance, where you could be covered.  I think, as everyone else said, that is going to be your best bet, if it is an option.  I believe you have to be here for some number of years to qualify for medicaid (and it is income limited, so if your partner has a good paying job, you are unlikely to be eligible anyway), though if you have a child while here, your child will be a citizen and should qualify, if you are income eligible.  I agree, our whole system is very broken.  If it turns out that you cannot get health insurance, and you have some savings, a homebirth midwife might be a more affordable option, and many will work with you on a payment plan.  This obviously still leaves you in a bind if you need to transfer, but a hospital can not turn away a women in labor, so they will take care of you (though the bills would obviously be terrible).

#9 of 10 Old 05-25-2013, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
another question to ask is if husband's insurance recognises your current country's insurance. We've moved from UK to USA a few times, and getting US healthcare to acknowledge that we've had continuous care was at times tough.
#10 of 10 Old 06-08-2013, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks a lot everyone for your advice. I really appreciate it.

We would surely check out our options including returning to home country to give birth. It is much cheaper there.

Married to a great man and friend

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page