First little seed!! Homebirth vs birthing center questions... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-30-2013, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So my hubby and I just found out we are expecting our first. Yea! We've been trying for 3 years so this is a pretty special for us.

We go today to get our first and only sonogram to see little seed. I'm kind of nervous just because I really want everything to be okay. I'm praying with all that's in me for him or her to be strong and healthy. We didn't use any prescribed meds to get pregnant just did it all natural and with lots of prayer. The doctor believes little seed is about 7 weeks possibly 8 wks.

Anywhoo, it's been my heart for a long time to have a natural home birth with a midwife and that is the path we are going down. I wanted to ask what everyone thoughts are on home births vs birthing center. My first choice is home, but I am totally okay with a center as well. We live in the DFW (Texas) area and there are plenty of amazing birthing centers around here so I have options.

So what are your thoughts if you have done either or both? And also is one more expensive than the other? If you did a home birth, how did you handle guests?

Thanks friends!

Krista

Blessings,

Krista

Quote:
Don't overlook the obvious here, friends. With God, one day is as good as a thousand years, a thousand years as a day. God isn't late with his promise as some measure lateness. He is restraining himself on account of you...He's giving everyone space and time to change. -...

#2 of 6 Old 05-30-2013, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Congratulations on your first! I am due in January as well smile.gif

I chose a home birth over a birth center with my first and have since had a second child at home. My reasons for home birth vs. birth center were that I would not have to travel in active labor and then again within a few hours of baby's birth, it was cheaper in our case, and my research showed that safety was comparable for both locations. I also didn't want to be in the same space as another laboring mother, just a personal preference I had. We did visit the birth center's info night after we were mostly decided on a home birth and that cemented it for DH. He was much happier with the idea of birthing at home once he toured the center and heard their spiel.

Some reasons you might choose a birth center over a home birth would be if DH is really uncomfortable with the idea of home birth, if your insurance covers the birth center but not a home birth, or if the birth center is closer to the hospital in case of transfer. I would interview both types of providers and visit several centers in the area before making a solid decision. I interviewed 6 midwives and am glad I was able to make a very informed decision.

As far as guests, we were in a one-bedroom apartment and lived within 10 minutes of our parents with #1 so it never came up. If we lived away from family, I would not have anyone stay with us unless they were offering to cook/clean/get up with baby in the middle of the night. My mom stayed over a few times with #2 in that capacity and it was great, but I refuse to entertain within 6 weeks of giving birth.

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#3 of 6 Old 06-01-2013, 06:03 PM

Hey Krista,
I had my third at home after two hospital births. Loved it. My midwife told me that a center birth was just like a homebirths…except it was her home. And I had to drive there. And back. Driving in labor sucks!

I'm from DFW too, if you want to talk about midwives. I chose a practice with a CNM and a non CNM midwife. Actually preferred the non CNM. Having my second with them in February. : )

Congrats!
#4 of 6 Old 06-02-2013, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the info ladies!

We did the sono and everything is great! Actually, more than great, we are more than 6 to 7 weeks- we are 17 weeks! CRAZY! So not only am I out of my "danger zone" I'm in my 2nd month of my 2nd Tri! Baby is looking good and healthy; Im measuring exactly where I should and am also healthy. All is well! Woot!

@alexisfaye I have decided to go the birth center route and we have our first interview with a midwife this Friday at Gentle Beginnings in Keller, TX. Her name is Michele Massey. Gina Phillips was also recommended to me by a good friend who is my chiropractor and acupuncturist. Do those names ring a bell at all to you?

Blessings,

Krista

Quote:
Don't overlook the obvious here, friends. With God, one day is as good as a thousand years, a thousand years as a day. God isn't late with his promise as some measure lateness. He is restraining himself on account of you...He's giving everyone space and time to change. -...

#5 of 6 Old 06-05-2013, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Lucky you, "skipping" the first trimester like that :). I'm doing neither (risked out) but I just wanted to stop in and wish you continued good health on your journey!

There's LOTS of threads with ideas on what to do about visitors BTW. I've posted answers there, and didn't want to be a broken record. Try searching for "postpartum visitors" and "visitors in hospital." I'm still deciding what to do about that too! 

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#6 of 6 Old 06-13-2013, 01:15 PM

Krista im in mckinney so i dont know her… but word of mouth is the best way to go!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page