Soft (long) cervix/contractions (33 weeks tomorrow {Friday 5/31}) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-30-2013, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello ladies,

I have been having contractions. I'll be 33 weeks tomorrow. The contractions are not painful but come often and then none. I've had more than 5 in an hour. Then if I lay down (and sometimes I will hydrate more) the usually go away. I was nursing my DD but have, sadly, had to wean her immediately as nursing would bring on long tight contractions. (The weaning has been awful as you can imagine...) I went in Tuesday ( a few days ago) to the CNM and she said my cervix was long but soft. I am trying to find out some info on this and it seems the softening of my cervix is a danger zone? I also have a yeast infection that I am treating as of Tuesday night. 

Does anyone have any info on this? I can't seem to find too much information... 

Thanks!!!

#2 of 5 Old 05-30-2013, 10:23 PM

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

What did the CNM say exactly...was she worried?

#3 of 5 Old 05-30-2013, 11:50 PM

if you have already had a baby it is normal for your cervix to soften earlier. Its length which can only be seen by ultrasound and dialation are what to look for. A soft cervix is not really an indicator or labor though your contractions are a concern but if they go away with rest and water then thay could also be nothing. I suffer preterm labor and incompetant cervix. I was 80% effaced and 3cm dialated at 34 weeks when I got out of the hospital and I had to be induced 3 weeks later wit little change so it really depends on the person.

#4 of 5 Old 05-31-2013, 08:06 AM

I went into labour and had my DD at 34 weeks. I thought I was having BH contractions but started timing them and they were EXACTLY 7 mins apart. And they did not stop. No matter what I did (and oh how I wish I could've stopped them).

I have heard that having a softened cervix and even some dilation with a second pregnancy is relatively common early on, and not necessarily a sign of imminent labour.

I think listening to your CNM and whether or not she is worried, or wants to keep a closer eye on you is your best best as she would know what to look. I think the fact that your contractions stop is a great sign from my experience.

Oh - my DD was born very healthy at 34w+1d (APGARs of 9 and 9). She did have to stay in the NICU for 1 week but is a healthy and active 22 month old now.

Best of luck to you!

#5 of 5 Old 06-13-2013, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies ladies! Sorry it took so long to reply back, we don't have the internets at home ;)

He is still cookin' in the belly, having contractions still but not too frequent as I was when exercising/nursing DD. If I get them I just chill out with what I am doing and they seem to follow suit.

My CNM said to be cautious but not excessively worry. She didn't mention about the 2nd pregnancy resulting in a soft cervix. I appreciate you all putting those two bits in.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page