Coffee during pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 06-03-2013, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hello ladies!

I have done some research online but I'm wondering if anyone here knows the exact reasons of why you are not supposed to drink coffee during pregnancy. I'm finding conflicting views/reasons and what I'm really wondering is if one cup of coffee in the morning is harmful what-so-ever because if it is, I won't drink any throughout this pregnancy. I've just heard so many others say they drank a morning cup all throughout their pregnancy and no ill effects were produced?

Anyone out there know the specific science as to why no java? 

I'm not going to lie, I love my coffee yummy.gif but won't be heartbroken if I can't have it for a while...well maybe a little, haha!

Thank you!

#2 of 32 Old 06-03-2013, 07:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know of any specific studies to link, but I have never given up coffee during pregnancy, except during the first trimester when I've sometimes developed a smell aversion to it. I try to stick to 2 cups or less per day, but I don't worry about it much. I've read that under a certain amount of caffeine is ok, and over that amount can increase your risk of miscarriage. Hope someone will come along and be more specific smile.gif

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#3 of 32 Old 06-03-2013, 07:23 AM

There was a study in Sweden (I think) that showed an increased risk of miscarriage for women who drank coffee in early pregnancy. I think I read somewhere that excessive caffeine can lead to lower birth weights and smaller head circumference.

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
#4 of 32 Old 06-03-2013, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks JennyAnydots & Scottishmommy. 

Seeing as I just started getting my bfps in last couple days and today at 13dpo I got a darker line, I should probably just start drinking decaf for the next couple months to be safe let baby be sticky! Perhaps I can have a morning cup after the first trimester has passed...Its the first baby for us so I'd rather give it up if there is ANY chance of miscarriage!

#5 of 32 Old 06-03-2013, 08:12 AM

I skipped coffee in the first trimester because that's when the miscarriage risks were found and it was pretty easy because my nausea found the very smell of it deeply offensive! Though I never hope for someone's discomfort, it did help me, so I hope you get the same "boost" in your commitment to quit.

However, once that risk had passed, I started drinking it again around week 18, and I felt sooooo good! I had clearly been adding to typical first tri fatigue by breaking my caffeine addiction cold turkey.

Now (32wks) I have a cup or two once a day and I think that's within the safety zone. I wouldn't be drinking anymore than that though.

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#6 of 32 Old 06-03-2013, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I heard the study about coffee increasing chances of miscarriage in the first trimester too.  I stayed away from it till the 3rd when I needed a little help keeping things regular.  I didn't drink it with my first 2 kids and DS was slightly smaller than they were, but didn't really change anything for us.

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#7 of 32 Old 06-03-2013, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Cynthiamoon~ starting today its decaf. I don't want to risk a single minute of this amazing journey! I've waited nearly 40 years for this moment! I also will have to establish a relationship with a midwife etc.in the next week as I'm sure I'll have loads of questions. For example - I also take this supplement by Garden of Life called Super Green Perfect Food  http://www.gardenoflife.com/Products-for-Life/Foundational-Nutrition/Perfect-Food.aspx and its probably fine to continue but I'd rather get confirmation.

#8 of 32 Old 06-03-2013, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Chloe'sMama, the more I'm hearing at minimum its best to stay away for the first trimester and perhaps just a small morning cup if I'm desparate later on in preg.

I've absolutely been a coffee junkie for years and I'm sure its time I weaned off anyway.  thumbsuck.gif

#9 of 32 Old 06-03-2013, 10:46 AM

I drank coffee all through my last pregnancy, which turned out fine. I've cut back with this one only because it doesn't taste as good to me. My OB--who is otherwise pretty cautious--just told me that 1-2 cups per day is totally fine, which put my mind at ease.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#10 of 32 Old 06-03-2013, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Blanca. Today I tried a double shot of DECAF esspresso.  Tasted good...definitely no boost. Haha, I'm already yawning!

#11 of 32 Old 06-03-2013, 11:05 AM

I always say there would be no Hispanic people if coffee were that bad during pregnancy LOL. In Guatemala EVERYONE drinks coffee, even kids!! I drink a little black tea or one shot of espresso a day. I didn't have it in my first trimester but I am very sensitive to caffeine so prob shouldn't have it AT ALL but oh well. :-P

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#12 of 32 Old 06-03-2013, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
What the prev posters are saying. I couldn't tolerate coffee, decaf or reg, with nausea, but I had 1-2 cups a day when I felt ok. REGULAR coffee! I think the risk has been exaggerated.

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

#13 of 32 Old 06-03-2013, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Dalia - haha, love it.

Katie 8681 thank you. 

I think I'm just on high alert because of my almost 40 status. Everyone tells you you are automaically high risk over 35 and so I just want to do everything right so I can make it through that first trimester with a sticky bambino! energy.gif

I'm probably being hyper vigilient but if it eases my mind and I can relax an enjoy first tri, w/out coffee and worry then I'm quite certain I'll pick it back up during my 2nd/3rd tri.  I haven't had any aversions yet but its still super early. The hpt's just started to darken and make me feel like I'm really preggers!

#14 of 32 Old 06-03-2013, 12:07 PM

I totally understand and I avoided in the first tri as well. I only drink it now because I have these headaches just about everyday and the caffeine helps.

I am 38 and will be 39 when the baby comes. They totally treat me like I'm the damn crypt keeper at my OB's office LOL. I should ask them "where's my teeth?" and bring a walker in next time from the way they act!!! Anyway, 40 is the new 30 so that's what I'm going on. Good luck with your pregnancy!!!

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#15 of 32 Old 06-03-2013, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Dalia, you rock AND you're funny! Thank you.

So when are you due? Congrats to you as well! 

Yeah honestly I'm probably more healthy in last couple years then I ever was. I eat organic, non GMO, uber healthy no refined flours or sugars etc. and had 3 mos of acupuncture prior to getting pg so I feel  like I'm more ready now than ever. I can't wait to tell my OBG(oozing with sarcasm) that I want a midwife/doula. She was really weird about the acupuncture and the minute I say midwife she may get all weird on me. She'll probably try to scare me by saying I'm high risk and how risky that is of me yada yada but its the way I've always wanted and hoped for so hopefully it will all work out that way.

Hope your preg overall has been wonderful!

#16 of 32 Old 06-03-2013, 12:29 PM

Thanks! I'm due Oct. 19th. :-) I'm surprised your OBG was weird about acupuncture! I think among the alternative modalities that is the most accepted by mainstream docs. Oh well, don't listen to any negativity. Listen to your instincts. :-)

joy.gif

#17 of 32 Old 06-03-2013, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Not a coffee drinker but through the first trimester of my last pregnancy they only way I could eat anything was to have an ICECOLD coca cola with my food. In fact I crave coke (the pop!) during pregnancy and for the first two years post partum. After that time I cannot STAND the stuff!

My second baby was not small either and neither was her head. I completely understand staying away from certain things but the caffeine didn't affect her smile.gif

If you can stay away though it doesn't hurt smile.gif but I wouldn't feel bad if I caved once in awhile either smile.gif

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30****35***40**

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
#18 of 32 Old 06-03-2013, 02:54 PM

It's not really the coffee that't bad, it's the caffeine. I remember learning in school that the physical structure of the caffeine molecule allows the possibility for it to slip between places on the DNA strand and cause mutations. That would make sense why pregnant women should avoid too much caffeine in the first trimester. A DNA mutation in early pregnancy could easily cause the baby to develop abnormally, leading to miscarriage.
#19 of 32 Old 06-03-2013, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Dalia - def on listening to instincts! 

Delightedbutterfly - funny, I rarely (prob been a year or two??) drink CocaCola but reading your post just made me salivate for one, lol!

Dejagerw - interesting, and makes sense.  Glad I stopped today. I hope I haven't already done any mutating!!  I've been drinking am/pm cup since ovulation.

I feel I'm fine but def glad to know the science as to the why to staying away from it for first tri. Thanks!

#20 of 32 Old 06-03-2013, 04:52 PM

I stopped any caffeine for the first 6 months because of all the studies I had read about miscarriage etc and I also had such bad vomiting that just the smell of it would send me running for the bathroom. At about 24 or 25 weeks ( I am now 34 weeks;due mid july) the insomnia kicked in and I realized the smell wasn't bothering me as much. Having been adamant not to drink it my whole pregnancy..I was so frigin tired every morning I decided to start drinking it again. So Ive been mixing decaf and regular together and just have one cup a day...when im really super tired Ill have a full caffeine one. I find the mixing the decaf and regular tricked me into feeling I was getting the little up in the morning with the right taste but not a huge jolt for the babe..haha!  I feel like its safer after the 1st or 2nd trimester to start again but only up to 2 cups or less. 

#21 of 32 Old 06-03-2013, 08:33 PM

I think the risks of coffee have been greatly exaggerated, personally. Maybe they have some of those risks in susceptible individuals or in people who drink tons, but there are lots of people who drink a reasonable amount of coffee every day in pregnancy and have no issues. I drank coffee nearly every day with my daughter and she doesn't seem to have any genetic defects and was born at a very average 7 lb 10 oz. Of course, if it makes you feel psychologically better to avoid it, that's your call. But I don't think any of us need to go scaring ourselves about it. 

As for caffeine getting into DNA molecules and causing mutations, theoretically it is possible, but we'd have to bear in mind a. the number of caffeine molecules that get to the embryo, b. the odds of a caffeine molecule actually causing a mutation, c. the odds of that mutation actually having any effect on the action of the DNA of the one cell it's in and the daughter cells of that cell--the job of DNA is ultimately to code for proteins, but because of the way the encoding works, many mutations at a single location on DNA don't actually have any effect at all on the resulting protein, and many sections of DNA don't actually code for any protein but are just "filler" so a mutation there wouldn't do anything, d. the odds that said effect is a bad one as opposed to a neutral one or even potentially a positive one (a lot of mutations have an effect something like "change amino acid A to amino acid B in this protein", but that isn't going to necessarily have any impact on what the protein actually does). I don't know the numbers for points a. and b. but I'm not too stressed about points c. and d. 

According to Wikipedia, ACOG says 200 mg or less a day is okay. 

#22 of 32 Old 06-04-2013, 03:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Actiasluna & erigeron very informative and lots of food for thought!
#23 of 32 Old 06-04-2013, 03:27 AM

I feel like I worded my post sort of badly and want to note that while I'm not trying to be flip about the possibility of a DNA mutation, I genuinely do not think it's very likely either, so it's both a. unlikely and b. even if a mutation does happen we think "mutation" and something horrible, but it may be nothing that has any actual impact. 

#24 of 32 Old 06-04-2013, 09:01 AM

When I got my BFP, I switched to decaf early on just because a cup of coffee was part of my morning routine.  I didn't necessarily need the caffeine.  Between coffee and soda, I think I've only reduced my caffeine intake a little bit.  When I have a choice, I go for decaf coffee, but if I can't in the moment I don't sweat it.  I've been so chill about everything!  Which I think is bizarre considering this is my first ever pregnancy. lol

wife to an AMAZING dude and mommy to an awesome 9 month old boy
#25 of 32 Old 06-04-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennyanydots View Post

I don't know of any specific studies to link, but I have never given up coffee during pregnancy, except during the first trimester when I've sometimes developed a smell aversion to it. I try to stick to 2 cups or less per day, but I don't worry about it much. I've read that under a certain amount of caffeine is ok, and over that amount can increase your risk of miscarriage. Hope someone will come along and be more specific smile.gif

yeahthat.gif

This is my stance on this as well. I'm very sensitive to caffeine and tend to stay away from it in general. But this pregnancy (my 4th pregnancy, will be my 2nd live birth) I decided I LOVE coffee after the morning sickness subsided around week 16-20. I only have a cup, that is, one mug full. I have it with stevia now because I am battling sugar. I am worried I am craving coffee because it's another vehicle for sugar. *sigh* 

I believe when it comes to miscarriage (I suffered one at 8wks in 2009) that it'll happen if it's going to happen. Our female bodies are smart and if something isn't right in the amazing process that is conception, a darned cup or two even of coffee isn't gonna do squat. But I am biased, I have never had trouble in the conceiving department, though I have an autoimmune disease which shows infertility as a symptom. I know there are studies out there that say one or the other. Have you asked your doc/midwife? See what they think. My holistic doc was FAR more concerned with processed food and things containing nitrates then coffee when I told him what I'd been eating during the first trimester. Sheepish.gif

Now, if you are drinking seven cups a day, you might have an issue. But overall, one cup isn't a big deal, no science here however, just my opinion.

EDIT: I also should mention I'm drinking a store-bought coffee. Not Starbucks. I had a half-caff mocha a few weeks back and it made me terribly sick-- I had to lay down and wait out the instant headache I got from my drink! I don't know how much caffeine they have in their espresso but it was horrid the reaction I had. I also can only have a few sips of caffeinated soda, because it's SO high in caffeine!

My brand, which is sold at Trader Joes is lower in caffeine from what the employees tell me because it's ground WITH pine nuts. This results in a lovely nutty flavor and is a mild brew, so you don't need much sugar/cream. You could drink it black and I was trying to do that before getting pregnant while eating Paleo. Here's the link to the site: http://www.nmpinoncoffee.com/npc_shop/detail.asp?dept%5Fid=1&pf%5Fid=NMRP16

geek.gif Mama + superhero.gifDaddy +energy.gifDD (12/20/09) = heartbeat.gif

Expecting stork-girl.gif #2 in September!

#26 of 32 Old 06-04-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalia View Post

I am 38 and will be 39 when the baby comes. They totally treat me like I'm the damn crypt keeper at my OB's office LOL. I should ask them "where's my teeth?" and bring a walker in next time from the way they act!!! Anyway, 40 is the new 30 so that's what I'm going on. Good luck with your pregnancy!!!

Bwahahahaha! That was so good. smile.gif

I drank little coffee in 1st tri, mainly because the thought made me urpy. Now in second tri, I have 1-2 eight ounce cups of coffee daily, usually one in the morning and one around 3pm, when I'm dying of fatigue and trying to keep my 4year old from imploding before dinner. I'm an "everything in moderation" person. I'd enjoy a glass of wine or an IPA here and there too, but it tastes like poison to my pregnant tongue.

Married to P and mama to DS (1/09)blahblah.gifand DD  (09/13 babygirl.gif). I'm into friends and family, gardening, exercise, yoga, reading, knitting, photos, traditional foods, breastfeeding, home birth, babywearing, and much more. 
#27 of 32 Old 06-05-2013, 12:02 AM

Mine too. Just kidding. I had a TINY glass of wine on Mothers Day and it tasted GOOD.

I know all about the 4yo imploding thing. Mine is 3.5 and I swear-- she sees me making a special dinner (I did steaks tonight and barely ate it of course) because she had a meltdown when daddy cut her steak wrong. *sigh*

Might have a second cup for that but probably would have trouble sleeping. I can't win this pregnancy.

geek.gif Mama + superhero.gifDaddy +energy.gifDD (12/20/09) = heartbeat.gif

Expecting stork-girl.gif #2 in September!

#28 of 32 Old 06-05-2013, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks ultrafighter, tillymonster, and haurelia! I have tried decaf now for 2 days and it blows. Not worth it to me so most likely I'll just pick the caf back up in 2nd trimester! I can't wait! If I just am craving it like mad I'll have the worlds tinest thimblefull in the meantime, lol. But really I think the overall message is that for the most part 1 cup a day isn't going to do a world of damage. But with many of the stats in first trimester I'll do my best to avoid during this time. I agree with others too in the everything in moderation theme.
#29 of 32 Old 06-05-2013, 02:10 PM

I, too, am a coffee drinker, and a compulsive worrier... I'm currently 39+ weeks with my second child and drink coffee daily. It is usually either two shots of espresso from sbux or 2 cups of coffee at home. FYI, the espresso has fewer grams of caffeine!
Anyway, the only concerning thing I have read about caffeine is that it is known to leach one's bones of calcium and also can interfere, in general, with the absorption of calcium. Now, the reason this worries me is that my 5yo DD had mineral deficiencies when she was younger. Her four top front teeth came in with deformed enamel and basically started crumbling before she was 18mo. Is this definitely related to caffeine interrupting calcium absorption??? I don't know. But, I do know that over the last 5 years, I have greatly improved my gut health and have healed my own sensitive teeth. I'm hoping that this will be the main factor in protecting this new LO from
some of his sisters difficulties. I'm pretty sure
I am also drinking a bit less coffee than last time, just in case!

Wife & Momma to Echo 2/20/08 and HP 6/11/13
#30 of 32 Old 06-05-2013, 02:25 PM

I knew that caffeine can inhibit iron absorption, but I didn't know about the calcium. Yikes!

wife to an AMAZING dude and mommy to an awesome 9 month old boy

Tags
Pregnancy , Pregnancy Questions , Healthy Pregnancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page