Can't Breathe!!! (x post from June DDC) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-03-2013, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

For most of this pregnancy I've felt like I'm suffocating.  Like, I can get plenty of air IN, I just feel like I'm not getting enough oxygen.  About 2 months ago I was discovered to be anemic, so I assumed that was the issue.  My mw put me on Floradix and my hemoglobin is now 10 something, not quite as high as she wanted it, but high enough to legally homebirth so I assume at a safe level.  But I STILL feel like I'm suffocating a lot of the time!  I've been super sensitive to allergies and chemicals this whole pregnancy, could it be that?  I sit next to an air filter all day in attempt to breathe allergen free air.  I don't use chemicals for cleaning or laundry or anything.  If it were just at the end of my pg I would assume its from lack of lung space but its been going on most of the pregnancy.  It got worse in the last tri for sure.  I'm just so frustrated.  Its a scary feeling and I'm taking herbal remedies to keep from having constant panic attacks because of it, but they aren't helping a whole lot.  When I stand up I feel weak and like I'm being pulled forward and down and can't catch my breath, so I lay down almost all of the time.  Any ideas/comfort?  I'm scared I won't be able to breathe in labor or that it will be worse after some blood loss and I'll pass out.

Holly, eternally in love partners.gif with Kolby, Raising Juelie Anise (10y), Behnjamin Shen (6y), and Coen Syaoran (4y). Expecting June 2013 2ndtri.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2013, 03:58 AM - Thread Starter

BUMP.  Heeelp!!

Holly, eternally in love partners.gif with Kolby, Raising Juelie Anise (10y), Behnjamin Shen (6y), and Coen Syaoran (4y). Expecting June 2013 2ndtri.gif

Old 06-04-2013, 04:38 AM

Yikes. I am not sure what that could be. What does your midwife say? That doesn't sound normal to me; I would see a doctor if she doesn't have any ideas besides the Floradix. 

Old 06-04-2013, 10:24 AM

Are all your other blood-related levels OK?  Platelet count, cell count, etc?

WOHM to Leo (4/08) reading.gif and enjoying the journey with DH geek.gif

Announcing the arrival of Clara in August 2013! homebirth.jpg

Old 06-04-2013, 01:59 PM

Feeling like you can't breathe is SO scary. Your problem sounds more persistent and intense than what I've experienced, but for me, that "breathing in but not getting any air" feeling is a dead givaway that I'm experiencing anxiety--that is how my anxiety problems manifest themselves, even if everything else seems fine. Pregnancy can definitely be an anxious time. Any chance that is it? Add third-trimester lung crowding and it is very unpleasant.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
What do they say at your appointments?

I have spells of breathlessness, but I can often feel better by cooling off, stretching forward into a L shape holding onto something, or lying down on my left side for a bit.

My triggers tend to be posture (hunched over, leaning back too far), tiredness, and heat.

Have you been able to find any triggers? Hat might help pinpoint the issue.

For me it seems mostly caused by the fact that I am very sensitive to how blood slows when the baby pushes down on the vena cava in reclining positions.

I haven't laid on my back since week 17!!!

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

User Tag List