Extreme dryness - drying soap, preg symptom, or yeast infection? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-06-2013, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

TMI alert!

About 6 months to a year ago I tossed out all un-natural soaps and shampoos and we switched to Bronner's Castile soap, baking soda and ACV.

Previously I used a Summer's Eve intimate cleansing soap. I have a very sensitive area and this was the only thing that did not give me UTI's and extreme dryness.

The last month or so I have been experiencing extreme dryness in my external girly area. It itches, it burns, when I pee it feels like fire is spreading in my groin area - yeah, it isn't nice.

I bought a coconut fat based soap thinking perhaps it was the Castile, and no..that wasn't it.

I had made some home made oregano oil and began putting it externally on the dryness, and that has helped..but then I read absolutely not to do this while pregnant because it can weaken the uterine lining. I was using it because its what I had handy. Oops. I do have some calendula and lavendar so I know now!

I hate to say I'm 5 kids up and I have no idea if I am just having a reaction to the soaps or if I have a yeast infection.

I am really tempted to just go back to the Summer's Eve stuff.

Any one have any ideas? Experienced this before? Maybe this is all just some odd preg. symptom.

sewmachine.gifknit.gifrainbow1284.gifDaughter of Him, Wife and Mother to them partners.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gif,  

heartbeat.gifOne more on the way Fall 2013 pos.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2013, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Have you tried coconut oil? It works great. melts on contact! We use it for dry skin, (sorry TMI - sexy party lubricant) and on our faces in the winter. Also I wonder if some rosehip seed oil would be soothing or avocado? Great site www.anandaapothecary.com for essential oils but also carrier oils. I love them. I think coconut oil is perfectly safe for your nether regions! I also think rosehip would be good not as sure about avocado?! I mix that in with my own face serum and my skin just loves it. Course could just could be preggo symptom too I suppose. No matter what my gut says - coconut oil!
Old 06-07-2013, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Crickets :) I have tried it and love it, but while it seemed to ease the symptoms of dryness - I was still constantly dry. I didn't try it consistently every day though, so I am going to now. Thank you for the suggestion!

sewmachine.gifknit.gifrainbow1284.gifDaughter of Him, Wife and Mother to them partners.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gif,  

heartbeat.gifOne more on the way Fall 2013 pos.gif

Old 06-07-2013, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

You're welcome Kamiro, I hope you find relief soon!

Old 06-07-2013, 10:11 PM

I would have your OB/MW check for the yeast infection. But maybe try not using a soap product on that area until things calm down. Personally, I use Dr. Bronners for all our soap, but I know the Bradley Birth Method recommends using just water on the private areas to avoid drying things out during pregnancy.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:50 AM

I second coconut oil, it's great to use down there. I think it can even treat/ward off yeast infections, but I'm not sure if I'm remembering right.

And Dr. Bronners is very gentle, but try just using water. Dr. Bronners is also supposed to be safe for douching (bad idea I know), so I wouldn't think it could be causing any harm though.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:43 PM

Stop using soap down there! Especially Dr. Bronners, it has a high ph, and I bet that is the source of your problems. The skin down there is very sensitive and I believe is more on the acidic side (5 or 6 I think?). Dr. Bronner's is 8 or 9 and that can really mess with your natural balance down there and cause a yeast infection.

I know it sounds yucky not to use soap, it always did to me. I couldn't stand the idea of not being "clean" down there, I thought I would really stink it up otherwise. But I quit using soap on my nethers a couple years ago and surprisingly I have far less odor than I ever did when I used soap. Just give yourself a good rinse in the shower. If you still feel dirty, wipe gently with a little watered down witch hazel or use a gentle baby wipe.

Let me say it again...Don't use soap on your crotch!!

Old 06-09-2013, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I second the "no soap" recommendation. I use soap on the outside, but not inside. I think this makes a big difference than soap all over and it's a little more satisfying from the "feel clean" POV than no soap at all.

I've used Bronner's exclusively for years, and I don't think that could be the only cause though. Anything from hormones to over-washing makes sense to me, but I though infections were associated with MORE moisture and discharge?

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

User Tag List