Newly pregnant: When should I schedule a meeting with my doctor? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-08-2013, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all,

This is probably 15 dpo and I did a home based pregnancy test now and there was a faint line. I almost could not believe it and had to ask DH to also see to confirm that it is truly positive.

I am really happy and would like to test more later and would be glad to see a darker line. I started taking folic acid today already joy.gif

Ok now to my question:

When can I schedule a meeting with my Ob/Gyn. she  had told me that the first appointment there would be series of blood tests and examinations. I would like to know if I should wait for 6 wks dpo or more before  going and what types of tests would I have to do?

DH  is excited and already asking me to rest etc.Guess it has not dawned on me at all. What am I supposed to do or not do now?It's my first and I am so new to all of these.

Thanks everyone

Married to a great man and friend
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2013, 03:33 PM

I called my midwife the day I tested. But, there are sometimes waitlists for midwives so I like to call early. I think, with my first pregnancy I saw here around 8-10 weeks and we discussed what testing I was interested in (e.g. Genetic testing, ultrasounds, etc.). She also inquired about my blood type and asked general questions about my health and family history. She probably measured my stomach and may have checked for a heartbeat with a Doppler. Midwives can be fairly hands off, unless requested otherwise. I'm not sure what OB's do. They may be more involved. I'm sure when you call they'll tell you when they want to book your first appointment.

Mother to a wonderful little girl, born Sept/2011 via h20homebirth.gif and enjoyingbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif

Currently belly.gif(EDD: February 2014)

Old 06-08-2013, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

OB's will usually see you later also.  8-12 weeks.  There isn't much to do at the beginning unless you have a history of problems.  I had my first regular appointment at 10 weeks.  They did a quick ultrasound to confirm and she ordered some blood tests. They test urine at every appointment.  I would call soon to see when they want you to come in and make an appointment because sometimes they are busy and it could take a while to get an appointment.  Congratulations on your pregnancy! 

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)

Call the OB or midwife Monday and get an appointment on the books - they probably won't see you until 8-12 weeks after your last period, but some of them schedule way in advance.

And if you're looking into homebirth, call now!  Homebirth midwives around here wind up seriously booked, so if you don't call basically as soon as you have a positive test, they're already committed to other patients.  The same is true for some of the more popular OBs. 

It's sweet of your DH to tell you to rest, but you can basically do anything you feel well enough to do.  Just listen to your body and make sure you get enough water. 

Old 06-08-2013, 10:54 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
The midwifery practice I first sought out only takes people after 10wks, and the OB recommended I wait until around then too. The only reason I got an earlier Appt. was because I had a particular concern that might have affected an early pregnancy.

I know... That's AGES away (56dpo, lol). I think it's crazy, but there must be a good reason since 10-12 weeks seems very common across regions and practices.

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

Old 06-08-2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepyCat View Post

It's sweet of your DH to tell you to rest, but you can basically do anything you feel well enough to do.  Just listen to your body and make sure you get enough water. 

I agree his caring intention is very sweet, but remember it's a long 9mo journey and it ends by beginning an even more exhausting one!

I am glad that I took rest when I needed it, but never when I didn't. It allowed people in my life to continue seeing me as a strong and capable rather than as frail, and that really helped once I started feeling very vulnerable and tired in the third trimester.

It also helps because sadly, so many people are only accommodating of your needs for a while, and if you are too needy now, you might be sad you didn't bank the favors until later!

This is what happened to me at school, where nausea took it's toll. After a month, my profs were a lot less sympathetic and patient, and I was glad to e feeling better and in no need of their help!

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

Old 06-08-2013, 11:20 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthiamoon View Post

I think it's crazy, but there must be a good reason since 10-12 weeks seems very common across regions and practices.

It's depressing, but I think the reason is that roughly 20% of confirmed pregnancies miscarry.  One in five women who gets a positive HPT will probably not still be pregnant at 12 weeks... but we don't necessarily know what causes those miscarriages, and there's nothing we can do to prevent them.  At the early stage, miscarriages don't necessarily require medical attention - when they do, they wind up referred through the ER.  I think it just saves them some scheduling challenges if they don't see you until 10 weeks.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone.

Your responses have been really enlightening. 8-12 weeks really look so FAR away smile.gif But i surely can wait. I would just have to take my mind off it then.

Thanks also for the advice not to look too needy, I don't intend to at all being a naturally restless person. 

Usually, I only needed about a day or two to book an appointment with my OB/Gyn, but that was just normal dr's visit. With a first pre-natal visit, I guess it will take a lot of time I guess and they may want a longer notice. I would definitely call early this time around.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:39 AM

I'm glad it helps. Just to clarify, plenty of people who *really* care about you will always be looking to care for you, and that is GREAT and such a blessing when you need it.

It's just the peripheral people I've discovered can be impatient, like distant bosses and casual acquaintances.

The only reason I've had for not wanting to appear too needy is because then people will start telling you not to do things you want to do and can do, and that gets really annoying smile.gif.

When you really do need help, definitely don't hesitate to ask! smile.gif

Old 06-14-2013, 11:20 AM

Definitely give your OB a call. Even if it normally only takes a couple days to get in to be seen they will tell you when they want you to come in for this. So even if you call now they probably won't schedule the appointment for a few weeks. 

Old 06-14-2013, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I finally called and got an appointment for first week in July. Would be 7 weeks by then.bouncy.gif

User Tag List