Anyone NOT Get Ultrasounds? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 06-12-2013, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I did them with my first 3 but this time around I really don't want any. At all. I've been doing a bit of reading and am quite convinced of their danger. Just wanting to chat with someone else who avoided them.

Lots of info here - https://www.facebook.com/doppler.danger?ref=ts&fref=ts

Christi

Wife to one Amazing man, Mom to 3 Wonderful children with #4 due in Feb

#2 of 30 Old 06-12-2013, 10:21 PM

I am only getting one, at 19 weeks. They do 2-3 as standard, here, unless you decline. I also do not allow Doppler. So at this point I haven't seem or heard the baby(ies). I'm 13w5d. It kind of sucks, but once I start feeling movement it will be better. I don't get ms, so sometimes I forget there is even one in there.

Rebecca, mother of one beautiful girl born May 9, 2008, wife to Ben since June 30, 2007, and angel1.gif July 9, 2011.

#3 of 30 Old 06-12-2013, 11:01 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)

I dont get US's!!!  Or dopplar.  Here's some good info I just read on the subject actually on one of my favorite nutrition site's, the weston a price foundation.

" Dangers of Ultrasound: Overheating of the fetus: inhibits enzyme reactions, enzymes may be unable to function, even after temperature returns to normal.

HEATS BONE (SKULL) more rapidly than soft tissue, subjecting brain to continued heat after ultrasound exam.

Recorded sound in uterus “as loud as a subway train coming into the station.”

Frequent exposure associated with decrease in birth weight, increase in left-handedness, delayed speech.

Focused on baby’s genitals to determine sex: Defects of genitals has greatly increased, now affecting one in ten babies

Focused on the heart. Serious defects of the heart increased nearly 250 percent between 1989 and 1996

In 1993, FDA approved 8-fold increase in equipment output.

Since that date, incidence of autism has increased nearly 60-fold.

Highest in U.S., Japan, Scandinavia, Australia, India and U.K., countries where most pregnant women are exposed to ultra-sound."

What to do:

AVOID PRENATAL SCREENING: Ensure a healthy baby with good pre-conceptual and pregnancy diet. Let baby’s sex be a surprise!

INSIST ON A FETOSCOPE during pregnancy, do not allow“Doppler” fetal monitor. Avoid hospital birth if possible.

FOR HIGH RISK MOTHERS (older, many babies, family history, poor nutrition, baby conceived during period of stress), one screening for birth defects may be justified. Should be set at lowest possible level and for shortest period of time."

(as far as autism goes I dont think this is THE cause, I believe that autism has so many contributing factors, but I believe that basically it is a toxic buildup for the most part, and much of it is environmental and over a lifetime (the mother's exposure to toxins over her lifetime and what is in her body while baby is developing and that baby therefor has in his/her body), but ultrasound could possibly be a contributing factor as well.)

here's the link to it if u want to see the whole thing (it's a powerpoint presentation on healthy pregnancy), http://www.westonaprice.org/childrens-health/healthy-pregnancy-presentation-by-sally-fallon-morell

#4 of 30 Old 06-13-2013, 01:21 PM

I had the option of declining all US and almost did. But I'm doing basically nothing: no pelvic exams, no glucose tolerance test, no urinalysis, not tracking weight, etc. So when my midwife respectfully requested one US at/near 20 weeks, I agreed. Other than the initial blood draw and a few 2-minutes or less listens with Doppler, the one US is all we're doing. My midwife actually would have been fine with my skipping it, but I feel like I'm declining so much that this one concession was something I could live with. Turns out DH is thrilled that we're doing it- he is so excited to see the baby. But we have all agreed that we want it "quick and dirty". Get in. Get measurements, get out. There will not be even thirty extra seconds trying to see if we have a boy or a girl, or cooing over something cute like thumb sucking.

I do not blame you in the least for declining. 😊

jinxymama likes this.

SAH Princess, happily married to my adorable Nerf Herder

brokenheart.gif 2009 Expecting my rainbow1284.gif in November 2013

#5 of 30 Old 06-14-2013, 06:43 AM

I did not with my last and was very happy with it. Even if they find something wrong, only in rare cases is there much that can be done to help at that point, and as previously mentioned, US has risks and downsides. There may be more that is not studied or we are not told about since they are such an easy moneymaker.

They also often lead to more unecessary interventions. With my first, I had a 20wk US and it lead to my 'due' date being signifcantly moved up, despite me being sure of when I conceived. They also said the baby was too big and I might need a csection. This of course led to heavy pressure to induce when that date rolled past. I put my foot down and deliverd naturally weeks later (it was a big baby, but I got him out), if I had believed them I would have had a preemie (hmm...more interventions, even more money!!) The US also showed that the baby might have cysts on his brain and be disabled, something that caused me pointless stress for a few months. (He was fine)

The US also showed placenta previa, which of course led to a vaginal US and to ANOTHER US in the 3rd trimester, at which point the previa had resolved...good grief! Never again. I will consider one only if medically indicated, which is what the ACOG recommends anyway. It is the fact that insurance companies will pay that makes it routine, not that routine is recommended. Before having one I will ask, can the information we need be gotten in another way? And, what are we going to do with the information?

From what I read, the Doppler also has even more exposure than an US, just fyi. I think you are smart to opt out...I wish more women even realized its optional. I will say I found it hard to wait to know the gender though smile.gif. But so worth it!
#6 of 30 Old 06-15-2013, 03:55 PM

I only got an ultrasound scan with my first baby, because the CNM recommended it and I didn't think about it. With the other children, we chose not to have one done, because by that point I had met so many people who had been told after their ultrasound that there was an issue which turned out to be nothing that I didn't want to deal with it. 

I'm not worried too much about the use of the Doppler. I know that it's a fairly new technology that we're using on people, kind of a large-scale experiment, but the amount of listening in pregnancy is pretty infrequent.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#7 of 30 Old 06-15-2013, 10:05 PM

With my first i had only a dating us at 12 weeks. this is because my uterus was quite large and my MW wanted to check on twins or dating as i was not TTC. we skipped the 20 week U/S because of that. 

With my second we had the 20 week. I do know the concerns over effects on the baby. I have personal experience with a friend who had some congenitial abnormalities picked up on the 20 week ultrasound that changed her needs for birthplace and ended up helping the baby to survive with delivery in the hospital with a specialized pediatrician. that is a rare occurance i know. I had another friend who didn't have an ultrasound with her first but did have great experienced midwife care. She had a surprise twin birth at home and had to transport to the hospital! he was tucked right in behind. 

it is great for mom to have the info and make an informed decision. With both my pregnancies i requested the fetoscope instead of the doppler except for the heartbeat check at 11 weeks and limited during labour. I shocks me that women buy doppler to use at home to listen to the baby daily!

Jese Mom to Elaina (April 2007) & Macy (June 2010). #3 m/c at 10 weeks (July 2013), #4 m/c at 9 weeks (october 2013). Expecting again! Due October 22/2014.
#8 of 30 Old 06-16-2013, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesepumpkin View Post

It shocks me that women buy doppler to use at home to listen to the baby daily!

Women who have had miscarriages in the past, particularly late ones, tend to do this for sanity's sake. Otherwise, quite they'd be in a state of panic and fear all the time that they'd lost the baby. It gives a sense of calm knowing that they can hear the heart beat.

Me (33), DH (35) and DD1 (3) conceived naturally after 6 months. After TTC#2 for 15 months, finally got a pos.gif on my second cycle of Clomid, DD2 born Sept, 2013. Can I convince my DH it's a great idea to have another one?
#9 of 30 Old 06-16-2013, 08:55 AM

I'm not getting any, I think my midwife is more against it than I am though. I wouldn't be against getting one if we think there is a good reason to of course, I would not hesitate at all.

My midwife didn't even use the doppler on me at my 18 week prenatal when she couldn't find the heartbeat. She found it eventually, we think the baby had it's back against my back and that made it harder. We had heard it at 15 weeks with little effort, so we weren't too worried.

#10 of 30 Old 06-17-2013, 12:09 PM

I'm also in the "shocked at home doppler use" camp. I've had 3 miscarriages, so I *get* the fear, but... doppler/ultrasound has been shown to INCREASE the risk of m/c... I'm not risking any of that craziness unless medically indicated.

We may use the doppler ONCE, at the 12 week midwife appointment, just for a quick reassurance. But certainly not at every visit, and NEVER multiple times a day like I've seen so many people talk about! It scares me.

Doula/breastfeeding counselor/car seat tech partners.gif forever in love with my big, strong construction man.

Birthmom since Jul/09 adoptionheart-1.gif

Early losses Jan/10 (7w), Aug/11 (5w), Jul/12 (5w)

joy.gifDD Jan '14

femalesling.GIF novaxnocirc.gif bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gif ecbaby2.gif cd.gif 

#11 of 30 Old 06-17-2013, 03:45 PM

Choose not to get an ultrasound. That's fine.

Choose not to use the doppler, whatever floats your boat.

Don't judge people because they choose to have the ultrasound and to use the doppler.

We are all mothers here, and we are all doing our best for our babies. Putting someone down for using something that you wouldn't makes you no better than those who put you down for not using them.

cricketschirpin likes this.

Me (33), DH (35) and DD1 (3) conceived naturally after 6 months. After TTC#2 for 15 months, finally got a pos.gif on my second cycle of Clomid, DD2 born Sept, 2013. Can I convince my DH it's a great idea to have another one?
#12 of 30 Old 06-17-2013, 04:48 PM

Not entirely sure where you saw a putdown... I just said that it scares me, and I wouldn't do it.  Sorry for having an opinion - I kind of assumed that's what this thread was for.

Jeez.

Doula/breastfeeding counselor/car seat tech partners.gif forever in love with my big, strong construction man.

joy.gifDD Jan '14

#13 of 30 Old 06-17-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JelloPanda View Post

Not entirely sure where you saw a putdown... I just said that it scares me, and I wouldn't do it.  Sorry for having an opinion - I kind of assumed that's what this thread was for.

Jeez.

That definitely wasnt a put down. Im here to read other peoples opinions and experiences...it helps me make more thoughtful informed decisions! Bring them on please!
#14 of 30 Old 06-17-2013, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JelloPanda View Post

I'm also in the "shocked at home doppler use" camp. I've had 3 miscarriages, so I *get* the fear, but... doppler/ultrasound has been shown to INCREASE the risk of m/c... I'm not risking any of that craziness unless medically indicated.
We may use the doppler ONCE, at the 12 week midwife appointment, just for a quick reassurance. But certainly not at every visit, and NEVER multiple times a day like I've seen so many people talk about! It scares me.

I have never seen anything that proves the link to increased miscarriage with Doppler/ultrasound - have a link that shows the connection?
#15 of 30 Old 06-18-2013, 12:08 AM

Yes, I'd like to see that as well. I've even had trouble finding conclusive evidence that U/S is *that* bad, but that's just my take on it. It feels harmless to me to get one and I *really* love seeing the baby in utero! I wish I didn't love seeing it so much! I guess for me, I feel more connected that way though its perhaps not the most logical thing.

This is my second pregnancy and I was put in the "high risk pregnancy" category meaning I'm asked to get more of them and having a miscarriage before means I have that fear and end up getting one for peace of mind. I'm all about zero interventions too so I don't know why this particular thing doesn't worry me.

I'm curious tho about women who don't get them because IRL I just haven't come across any that don't!

geek.gif Mama + superhero.gifDaddy +energy.gifDD (12/20/09) = heartbeat.gif

Expecting stork-girl.gif #2 in September!

#16 of 30 Old 06-21-2013, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

There are definitely studies that show a possible link between ultrasound and increased risk of miscarriage as well as preterm labor.  I understand the desire to hear the heartbeat, especially with a prior loss. I will likely use the doppler to listen for a a minute at 9-12 weeks (once I feel my fundus).  I have access to a doppler since I'm an assistant midwife.  I will not, though, be getting any routine u/s or u/s for pleasure.  Only if something comes up and it is medically indicated.

"Obstetricians in Michigan3 studied 57 women who were at risk of giving birth prematurely. Half were given a weekly ultrasound examination; the rest received pelvic examinations to assess the state of their cervix. Preterm labour was more than doubled in the ultrasound group - 52 per cent - compared with 25 per cent in the controls. Although this was a small-scale study, this statistical difference was unlikely to have emerged by chance.

In a large randomised controlled trial from Helsinki,4 9000 women were randomly divided into two groups. The women in one group were scanned at 16-20 weeks whereas the women in the other group were not. Comparing the results from these groups revealed 20 miscarriages in the scanned group and none in the controls.

A later study carried out in London5 randomised 2475 women to receive routine Doppler ultrasound examination of the umbilical and uterine arteries at 19-22 weeks and at 32 weeks of pregnancy compared with women who received standard care without Doppler ultrasound. There were 16 perinatal deaths of normally formed infants in the Doppler group compared with four in the standard-care group.

It is not only pregnant women receiving antenatal care who are at risk. Physiotherapists use ultrasound to treat a number of conditions. A study done in Helsinki6found that, if the physiotherapist was pregnant, handling ultrasound equipment for at least 20 hours a week significantly increased the risk of a spontaneous abortion."

the rest of the journal article is found here - http://www.aims.org.uk/Journal/Vol16No4/ultrasound.htm

one of the studies that is referenced - 

Lorenz RP, et al. Randomized prospective trial comparing ultrasonography and pelvic examination for preterm labor surveillance. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1990;162(6):1603-7; discussion 1607-10. 

abstract found here -http://www.unboundmedicine.com/evidence/ub/citation/2193518/Randomized_prospective_trial_comparing_ultrasonography_and_pelvic_examination_for_preterm_labor_surveillance_

#17 of 30 Old 06-21-2013, 09:14 AM

I am newly pregnant, and the midwife I am probably going with for my homebirth does not do ultrasounds, OR use a Doppler.  She uses only a fetoscope.  I was actually pretty excited to hear that.  I have a 16yo son, and I had us and Doppler with him.  I have to admit, I WANT to SEE the baby in utero, but it's not necessary IMO, or in the opinion of my midwife.  They have a DR who will do us for their clients if necessary, which is good to know.  I really want an intervention free, natural pregnancy and birth, I want to have faith in my body to do what it is made to do. 

#18 of 30 Old 06-21-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myjenny View Post

I am newly pregnant, and the midwife I am probably going with for my homebirth does not do ultrasounds, OR use a Doppler.  She uses only a fetoscope.  I was actually pretty excited to hear that.  I have a 16yo son, and I had us and Doppler with him.  I have to admit, I WANT to SEE the baby in utero, but it's not necessary IMO, or in the opinion of my midwife.  They have a DR who will do us for their clients if necessary, which is good to know.  I really want an intervention free, natural pregnancy and birth, I want to have faith in my body to do what it is made to do. 

My midwife is the same way. She will refer me to a doctor should I need an ultrasound.

For me, it wasn't that important to SEE the baby, but it was hard to be patient with the heartbeat since she uses a fetoscope. I didn't get to hear it until I was 15 weeks, and I was lucky to have heard it then. She found it so easily when I was 15 weeks, and my past two appointments (18 weeks and 21 weeks) I haven't gotten to hear it at all :'( We think the baby's back is against my back, and its easier to hear when the baby has their back against my belly. I'm not worried at all since my baby has been kicking me since before 18 weeks, and is now kicking me often throughout the day.

#19 of 30 Old 06-21-2013, 06:31 PM

While there may be little "conclusive" evidence, according to some, that ultrasound is dangerous - there's NO evidence that I've ever seen proving that it's totally safe, and none of the medical organizations in Canada (possibly the US either) recommend routine ultrasound!
If my family had a serious history of CHD or severe, life-threatening issues that can be detected and/or fixed in-utero, I would have no problem with getting an ultrasound. Same with if my midwife has a serious concern that can only be checked on with ultrasound, I will get one.
I just see no reason to even RISK any of the side effects I've read about just so I can see my baby early.  People waited to see their babies for many, many years before us. I think I can handle a few months of mystery.

Doctors here strongly discourage women from getting at-home dopplers, and I'm shocked that more doctors aren't doing the same!

joy.gifDD Jan '14

#20 of 30 Old 06-21-2013, 07:24 PM

A dear friend of mine bought an at-home Doppler when she was expecting last year an lent it to me when I told her that I was expecting. I think I've used it twice. After my previous loss,  and having a friend IRL who has had two late term losses, I am a little neurotic. I didn't even try to use it until after the MW found the heartbeat with her Doppler my 15 week appointment, and then only for sanity- for about two minutes or so every other week. These days I can feel baby move, so I don't feel tempted to use it. But if I were to go a whole day with no discernible movement, then I might pull it out for sanity. The blood pressure spikes I get from worry are probably worse than a minute of Doppler exposure....

SAH Princess, happily married to my adorable Nerf Herder

brokenheart.gif 2009 Expecting my rainbow1284.gif in November 2013

#21 of 30 Old 06-22-2013, 10:27 PM

I had an ultrasound with my first when he was 42 weeks to make sure the placenta still looked good.  I chose to have an ultrasound at 18 weeks with my fifth because I was having an unassisted birth and wanted to have peace of mind of seeing a healthy developing baby- that was the only time we knew the gender.  

Dopplers were used during my first two labors briefly, and in my fourth and fifth pregnancies to detect the heartbeat in the first trimester just once.  

So I've had very limited exposure overall.  There really isn't such a need, especially if you know your due date by charting, are healthy and your provider doesn't have any specific concerns.  There's so much that can be missed on ultrasound too.  

That said, it's so amazing to see the baby moving around, especially for my husband!!  He loved the experience and would like to do it again this time, also so the children could see.  I'm undecided still about what I want to do this time around.

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

#22 of 30 Old 06-29-2013, 12:53 PM

My OB just uses the u/s at 8 weeks to quickly date the pg. and check the h/b.  After that, the only other time is to check the position @ 36 weeks to see if baby is head down.  He does check h/b with Doppler at each visit, but it's for such a short amount of time.  Then there is the 20 week anatomical scan which I always accept.  I do decline the nuchal translucency as it's too much, imo.  I just opt for the screening bloodwork panel instead.  With each of my kids, I have averaged between 3/4 u/s per pregnancy.  All of my kids are healthy and normal and running around like banchees!   I do understand the u/s concerns though, but think of all of the high-risk women who've been monitored via u/s much more than the average mom, and go on to deliver healthy babies. 

#23 of 30 Old 06-29-2013, 01:12 PM

I'm an older lady with 3 grown/growing kids..  had 'em in the early 90's through 2000.  I was also a childbirth educator and doula for several years.

I did not elect to have any ultrasounds, never wanted them.  With my first pregnancy I was told I "had" to, or was recommended just one at 5 months gestation, because their daddy had had a congenital, genetic and very serious heart condition at birth {that required open heart as a baby}.  

For my first, I did the ultrasound. I was 22 and nervous and under the care of an MD. For my other 2, whom I went to midwives for, I did not.  This was a personal choice reached by my husband and myself.  It's not for everyone, and may seem cavalier, but to me, intuitively, I did not want them, so I didn't do them.  I also did not do a bunch of other tests that were recommended in a pat, general way.  My point is, the power is in your very own hands, to make choices for your children from the moment you learn they are in there..

Research.  Gather information.  Weigh your hearts.  Consult with your partner, and make YOUR OWN decision, for absolutely everything having to do with your child.  Might as well get used to that, it continues throughout their whole lives.

Incidentally, I had 3 healthy, Hearty babes joy.gif who are 3 healthy big ol' kids/college kids today.  Follow your own heart, Mama.. it starts now.

Best of luck to you.

jinxymama and Kysaroko like this.
#24 of 30 Old 07-12-2013, 08:24 PM

I'm so torn about this topic! I'm due with my 4th in Feb '14, but it wasn't until recently that I started reading more about the dangers of doppler and u/s. My 2nd & 3rd babes were planned homebirths with a midwife, and I'm hoping to do the same again with this one (although midwifery law in AZ just changed and I'm not 100% on what all has been affected). Anyway, my gut tells me that all is fine. I have no prior history of anything that would warrant a scan. I think part of me just feels the need to do a super quick 'check' to make sure there is nothing majorly wrong, since we are delivering at home. Like as short as possible. I'm definitely fine with waiting to find out boy/girl at birth. That's so exciting! I guess more prayer and thought is needed...

Homeschooling, homebirthing mama to DS1 (11/06), DD1 (08/09), DD2 (10/11) and DS2 (02/14)
#25 of 30 Old 07-13-2013, 06:29 AM

I had two u/s with my first child. One at twelve weeks and one at 20. I was offered or suggested u/s at every visit till i switched to a midwife. She used doppler constantly during my birth. It was a bit to much for my taste, actually.

With my second I had no ultrasounds, and i think she doppled me maybe twice during 30 hours of labor.

This time, I haven't met my midwife yet so haven't asked her how she feels about it. I tend to lean towards less interference not more so probably won't get any unless she requires it

#26 of 30 Old 07-13-2013, 07:00 AM

I have only ever had an ultrasound after miscarriage.  Both times because of hemorrhaging.  Never during a pregnancy and don't anticipate ever doing it.

My mother and I were just talking about this the other day.  She said she asked the family doctor about an ultrasound when she was pregnant with me.  He said to her, "Are you gonna to get an abortion if you see something wrong?"  She said, "No."  He said "Then you don't need one."

Years and years ago there was a study from Norway or Finland that said there was an increased risk of leukemia with one or more ultrasounds during pregnancy.   I've seen way too many people told there was something wrong with the baby based on an ultrasound or even amniocentesis (sp?) and given birth to perfectly healthy babies later.  Some of them were even specifically told by the doctor to have an abortion.

The day I realised I was pregnant with my daughter I knew I was having a girl.  Everybody said I couldn't know that.  I had a girl.  I also told the people present at birth I was Strep B neg, and there was no issues with the blood type (I'm RH negative, hubby is positive).  All of which everybody said I couldn't possible know.  They were all true.

Aside from knowing I was having a girl, I have a friend who is a graphology expert.  The kind who can testify at trials as an expert witness.  He explained to me how to tell the sex from my handwriting and it also said girl.  As far as knowing the sex, you can do handwriting or use a pendulum and find out.  I know I'm having a girl again.  Ironically, yet slightly less reliable, the Chinese gender calendar says girl for both of them based on my age and conception month.  This time our RH types will be different, but it will be fine.

In my opinion, ultrasounds are for emergencies.  I feel that way about all medicine personally.  If you are in a car accident while pregnant, it might be a good idea to get one if there is any spotting afterwards.  Any time there is really spotting and you need to know where the placenta is.  As far as a routine "I want a picture of my baby" thing...  Definitely not.

You can tell the babies position without an ultrasound, and there are also fantastic exercises you can do to help the baby stay head down naturally or turn the baby if necessary.  They aren't 100%, but I did some just to be safe and my daughter was head down.

Reading a lot of other women's experiences (especially in the RH neg arena) and just knowing other women, it seems like the more interventions, the more problems.  What comes first, the chicken or the egg?  Probably sometimes there are more interventions because there are more problems and sometimes there are more problems because there are more interventions. 

It would be really great if women could always be able to follow their gut instinct.  Too many women tell me they didn't want to do this or that, but the doctor really pushed them.

#27 of 30 Old 07-14-2013, 08:54 AM

I plan to only get one, at 20 weeks (normal here is 3-4). I am actually convinced that ultrasounds ARE safe, but I think they're unnecessary so I'm turning them down on principle. Boo to artificially increased medical costs. My midwife DOES use Doppler, which I'm down with.

The only reason I want the 20-week anatomy scan is that I have a good friend whose child was born with a life-limiting birth defect. She had a heads up because of ultrasound. I totally know that sort of thing is super rare, and I'm not under any illusions that ultrasound ensures healthy babies, it's just that having heard about her experience I KNOW I would want to know, as well. I am ALL in support of mothers not having ultrasounds! There's no evidence I know of that they produce better birth outcomes.
#28 of 30 Old 07-14-2013, 09:19 AM

When I was pregnant with my son, I had a vaginal U/S at 5 weeks, a routine one at 19 weeks, and was signed up for one at 42 weeks but thankfully my son was born a day shy of the appointment. I really hated both of them and felt that they were unnecessarily invasive, both to me and to my unborn child. I didn't WANT to see in there and was so relieved when the sonographer turned the screen off. (though he did say I was the first person to have that reaction and I can totally understand why people would be excited to see inside, it's just not me)

This time around, I don't want to do any ultrasounds and I've asked my midwife to use a fetuscope only. She is fine with that, but she did say that to use a fetuscope during labor would mean my laying on my back every 15 minutes so she could check on baby (I'm assuming she meant during active labor or just maybe when I'm fully dilated, but I should check, because I know I don't want to be on my back that much!) So I am considering using the doppler during labor so I don't have to be uncomfortable and lie still when I am deep in laborland. I am curious what other mamas who are not doing any doppler have to say about this--has anyone gone through labor with the fetuscope who can let me know what it is like? It is very likely I am making it out to be more than it is, lying on my back periodically. I probably just have this negative energy charge around lying on my back because of my judgements about the medical model and supine position.

#29 of 30 Old 09-03-2013, 05:06 PM

i didnt do any ultrasounds for my second son. i did have 2 ultrasounds for my first son (one early for dating, my dates were waaay off... and my homebirth midwife requested a second at 42 weeks for legal purposes to check fluid levels/placenta because he was postdates.) both ultrasounds i chose to have for my first son were as quick as possible for a specific purpose that i felt was important for my situation. i didn't feel any need to have any for my second pregnancy. i probably wont have any for any future pregnancies either. 

im oisin's mum 15april10 and faelan's mum 29nov12. "just to be alive is enough" suzuki.roshi
#30 of 30 Old 09-07-2013, 08:28 AM

I never had the US w/ my first until I hit 42 weeks, & then went in every other day to check fluid levels. Tricare doesn't pay for routine US.

Our second was a home birth, no scans, but they did the Doppler when Husband was there, fetoscope just for me. He likes gadgets, but not going to prenatal appts. so it didn't get used much.

Our 3rd did get an US when I started bleeding profusely at 12 weeks & it was a relief to see a heartbeat! We were living in an RV at the time & were moving around, so prenatal care was spotty, & when we did get settled into a midwifery practice at 36 weeks they wanted another scan to be sure everything was resolved. Tricare did NOT cover that one & it took a year to pay off. We sold the RV to cover the copay of the birth itself (got a house 2 months before baby came).

Our 4th baby was a UP/UC as we are no longer in a position to pay for Tricare's copay. We did rent a Doppler though, for monitoring throughout the birth. It was a long labor & after the first couple of times I could get the heartbeat fine through Husbands stethoscope. I wouldn't have wanted to rely on that though in case something did come up in active labor.

I guess we follow a selective or as needed model, but definitly only what we're comfortable w/.

http://domesticfelicitations.blogspot.com/transtichel.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page