Really awful nausea?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-17-2013, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey all,
This is my 3rd pregnancy and 7.5 weeks along. I have literally been nauscious since a week after conception. And it's ALL day and night. I've vomitted a few times already. I was nauscious until 16 weeks with my last 2 pregnancies. However, the nausea began around 8 weeks. I don't think I can last much longer!

I started taking vitamin B6 and snacking often. Did anyone ever try Zofran or any other medications? Did they work?

This is so difficult. I actually broke down and cried yesterday, on Father's Day, because I feel so awful all the time.

Thanks in advance.
#2 of 10 Old 06-17-2013, 10:46 PM

Oh no, i'm so sorry you're having to deal with that hug.gif I dont have experience with taking meds, but what helped me with my all-day nausea while pregnant with my daughter (also started about a week after conception, sheesh) were ginger chews (http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005Q4FKVO/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1371534326&sr=8-1&pi=SL75), small, frequent meals that has protein, lots of water, and seabands (http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00820HS1E/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1371534246&sr=8-2&pi=SL75). I hope you get some relief soon!
#3 of 10 Old 06-18-2013, 04:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I used ondansitron when I was pregnant with my first. It helped a bit but I was taking a very small dose (4mg once/day instead of 8mg three times/day) because it is very expensive in Australia. It really just allowed me to function when I absolutely had to rather than making me feel good.

I tried it a couple of times in my second pregnancy but it didn't really help and gave me horrible wind pain.

It makes me *extremely* constipated. Way more than narcotics. If you take it, I would suggest starting something for constipation at the same time. I used Metamucil which worked as long as I took it religiously.

All the best, it is the most hideous time. I remember it vividly.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#4 of 10 Old 06-18-2013, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I'm sorry you are feeling so bad.  I have not taken Zofran, but I did use B6 with Unisom.  The regular Unisom can be helpful.  I only took it at night because I didn't want to fall asleep during the day, but maybe you could take half.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#5 of 10 Old 06-18-2013, 02:08 PM

I take 1/2 a unisom every six hours or so. Works like a charm. I stopped feeling sleepy after a while, but the first few days you will be soooo tired.

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
#6 of 10 Old 06-19-2013, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, ladies!!! I started taking B6, but when does it kick in? It's been 5 days now. I'll def try unisom... Is it in the vitamin section?
#7 of 10 Old 06-20-2013, 07:43 AM

Unisom is in the sleep aid section

#8 of 10 Old 06-20-2013, 07:44 AM

Make sure you get the unisom with doxylamine

#9 of 10 Old 06-20-2013, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Wanderslake - I read in a book called "Beautiful Babies" that magnesium deficiencies can be a cause of morning sickness?

http://www.mommypotamus.com/the-real-cause-of-morning-sickness/

I can't verify it to be so (not medically trained) but I've been taking it daily and I haven't had any morning sickness and I'm 7 weeks, that also could be a complete coincidence.  It's no guarantee but perhaps it might help?

It sounds like at this point Ginger tea probably wont touch it, sounds pretty severe. Sorry that you are having it so extremely. goodvibes.gifI'm sending peaceful tummy vibes your way. Also, have you tried getting an organic 100% essential oil of peppermint? Again, would run this by your medical provider but maybe add one drop to 30 oz. of water and it could help to sooth?  I hope you feel better very soon!

#10 of 10 Old 06-26-2013, 12:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It sounds like you have Hyperemesis Gravidarum. You can check out this website for more information about it and for support forums: http://www.helpher.org/. I would talk to your doctor about different medications you can take - with my first pregnancy, I took 8 mg of Zofran every day from week 13 until the end of the pregnancy. This pregnancy, I've been taking Zofran since week 6. I was first taking 24 mg a day until about week 17, and am now taking 16 mg a day (and am 21 weeks). Definitely try Zofran if you're still feeling sick - it doesn't take all my nausea away, but it helps a ton. And there are other medications you can take, too. Talk to your doctor!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page