Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   I'm Pregnant (http://www.mothering.com/forum/19-i-m-pregnant/)
-   -   Pushing Positions w/ Epidural? (http://www.mothering.com/forum/19-i-m-pregnant/1385503-pushing-positions-w-epidural.html)

Tara415 06-22-2013 07:46 PM

Hi ladies-

With my last pregnancy, I had planned on having a non-medicine, natural birth so I didn't really look into options for what you can/can't do if you get an epidural. However, I did end up getting one and since I didn't know enough about it, let the nurses tell me exactly how I needed to be throughout labor and pushing. My L&D nurse told me I had to be flat on my back the whole time, which I went along with since I didn't know about physical limitations with an epi. I'm due in a few months with my second and I'm pretty sure I'll get an epidural again. But I want to go in more prepared. Anyone know about being able to sit up, or be reclined (instead of lying flat) during labor/pushing with an epi? I know from the natural birth classes I took that lying down isn't the best to get baby moving. TIA!  

Lovin_Life 06-22-2013 08:02 PM

Talk with your care provider because they are the ones that are going to encourage a certain position so if you have a problem with said position you can talk with them about ones you would like to try. It is much easier to have this conversation in an appointment rather when you are pushing. Depending on the strength of the epidural, it may be possible to push on hands and knees, sidelying, and/or semi-reclined. 

MeepyCat 06-22-2013 09:30 PM

I had an epidural, and pushed reclining - I think I was actually sitting up and screaming when he came out.  Definitely talk to them about what would make you most comfortable.

The real concern about mobility and epidurals is that your legs may not work as well as usual.  "Paralysis" is usually an overstatement, but they might not bear weight as well as usual, and hospitals do get really cautious about trip and fall risks.  There's nothing inherent to en epi that prevents you from reclining, sitting up, lying on one side or another, or rolling onto all fours (maybe the leg thing a little, but if you're on the bed, you don't have far to fall).

pokeyac 06-22-2013 09:47 PM

I had a doula client who had an epidural, and she pushed on her side and felt more comfortable that way.  I imagine it would help keep things moving if you could sit up while you are dilating so that the baby's head is pushing down on the cervix.  I agree that it is a good idea to talk to your care provider about possible positions.  Depending on how numb your legs are, hands and knees may not work if you can't hold yourself up.  I hope everything goes well! 

cynthiamoon 06-23-2013 10:25 PM

What a great thread topic! I am interested in hearing what experienced moms have to say. I am planning not to use pain relief, but it's always good to know the options out there if things don't go as planned!

heket 06-24-2013 01:44 AM

My first was an epi birth. From my readings, pain management and numbness varies for each woman. However, I was totally numb and had no problems pushing in the traditional reclined on your back pose. It was annoying that I couldn't get my own legs up into the stirrups so dh had to pick up my legs and place them.

Magali 06-26-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovin_Life View Post

Talk with your care provider because they are the ones that are going to encourage a certain position so if you have a problem with said position you can talk with them about ones you would like to try. It is much easier to have this conversation in an appointment rather when you are pushing. Depending on the strength of the epidural, it may be possible to push on hands and knees, sidelying, and/or semi-reclined. 

This.

scottishmommy 06-26-2013 01:54 PM

Side lying all the way. It's a great position for avoiding tears.

Katie8681 06-26-2013 04:00 PM

I have had women with epidurals push semi-sit, side-lying, all fours, and squatting (butt on edge of bed, leaning onto squat bar). Whatever works! It just takes a little teamwork to get situated smile.gif

skycheattraffic 06-29-2013 05:06 AM

I pushed semi reclined, DH and my mom had my legs curled up to my chest and I only had a small tear. I'm hoping to go epi free since last time I was 9cm by the time it was administered so I figure I can get through it. What a great idea for a thread! I like the idea of side lying too but I think I'll try hands and knees this time around if I skip the epi like I plan to smile.gif

pillowy 06-29-2013 12:23 PM

I was semi-reclined, which worked great for me. I was super comfortable and the baby came down just fine.