8 weeks some brown discharge - scared - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-28-2013, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi ladies,

I posted this over in my February due date club but felt maybe this was a better place for it?

I know that unless its bright red and accompanied with cramping/pain I probably shouldn't be worried and yet, how can I not be?  I haven't had a single solitary drop of any color since before missed period 7.5 weeks ago. When I got up this morning (sorry for TMI) I felt like I had to poo right away.  When wiping in the frontal region I was still bleary eyed from sleep but immediately got worried because there was some brownish discharge on the tp, I wiped a couple more times there and there was still a few more little bits.  The first wipe contained a smear of clear cm mixed with the brown.  I also have completely lost my appetite. I had to force down a bit of cereal and didn't even want my hot decaf. 

I hope this is normal and leftover blood. I don't really have any pain or cramping (just the usual lower back ache and a few twinges here and there) and no bright red.  But I wish I didn't have to go to work. I'm scared.  

Does anyone here recall having that during a previous pregnancy and it turned out to be ok or normal?

Uggg trying to stay calm here. greensad.gif

#2 of 11 Old 06-28-2013, 05:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Hi. I am not currently pregnant, but wanted to respond. This brown discharge is called implantation bleeding. It happened with both my pregnancies right around the 7-8 week mark. It hung around for a few days and was intermittent. Never had any cramping or twinges with DD, but did with DS. The cramping was pretty intense, so much so that I thought I was going to get my period. Nope. All was well with both pregnancies. If you are really worried, to put your mind at ease, just give your doctor or midwife's office a call to let them know what's going on. They will further advise you from there. From what you describe, it sounds like implantation bleeding, which is normal.

Newly married 10/2013 to DH superhero.gifSAHM to DD 2007  dust.gif and DS 2010  bouncy.gif  homeschool.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.gifhamster.jpg
#3 of 11 Old 06-28-2013, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Erinmattsmom88, thank you!

I always thought that the implantation bleeding happened around implantation which was a while ago?

Maybe what this is, is the blood from that time finally working its way out? Thank you so much for your reassurance!

Its so hard not to worry about each little thing! But yes I didn't think it was implantation because a lot of times you hear about that happening around your missed period. I'm so far beyond that I didn't even think thats what it could be!

Whew! 

Thanks again! 

Ok off to deliver travel documents to a customer in the thunder and lightening! Joy!

#4 of 11 Old 06-28-2013, 06:05 AM

I was always told that it occurred anywhere between 6-8 weeks of pregnancy. Just looked it up and read that it usually happens 10-14 days after conception. Kinda the same thing. But, yes, my point was to let you know it happened to me and everything turned out fine. Glad you are feeling better about it. But, like everyone says, if the bleeding changes color and increases, please notify your doctor ASAP. Take it easy today, just to be on the safe side.

Oh, and I, too, worried about every little thing! We just want everything to be ok. It will!

Newly married 10/2013 to DH superhero.gifSAHM to DD 2007  dust.gif and DS 2010  bouncy.gif  homeschool.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.gifhamster.jpg
#5 of 11 Old 06-28-2013, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I always have brownish discharge around week 7 or 8. For me it usually lasts a few days. Brown and pink can be ignored.

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
#6 of 11 Old 06-28-2013, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you again erinmattsmom88 and scottishmommy! I do feel better now and just  had a chance to call my doctor. Tt the receptionist who has worked there since the stone age and has probably gotten that call one million times and I asked the question, she explained it was totally normal and the next question was is this your first? LOL. Yes gosh what gave me away, the fear in my voice or could you just smell it!

She laughed and said its leftover blood from when the baby was implanting in the wall of the uterus and she said its like planting a tulip - you dig the hole removing any dirt you don't need so the tulip can take up the space there and then you discard that leftover dirt. Well that brown blood is like the leftover dirt the tulip didn't need that your body is discarding.  

She said it might happen over next couple days and I may even cramp but this is all totally normal. Whew. Thank you ladies, I swear I keep saying I'm going to relax, my body knows what its doing yada yada but then a symptom comes (or goes) and I'm right back to worry. 

Serenity now!  As George Castanza's dad from Seinfeld would say! wild.gif

#7 of 11 Old 06-29-2013, 12:46 PM

I'm 10 weeks but just had the same, maybe even with an orangish tinge.  2 days ago, I went to the ER for bad cramping and low back pain.  They saw the baby on u/s and hb was 162 and he/she was moving.  But, they also dragged out this medieval metallic speculum to look inside and I'm thinking it might have been mildly traumatic given that it was metal.  Ugh.  Anyway, here I am, 2 days later and woke up with my non-usual clearish discharge.  It was flat out orangish-yellowish-pale brown.  Weird.  I was about to go the ER again, but I'm drained and figure that I'll see my OB on Monday if need be.  The waiting for it to clear and wondering if it'll progress into something more is the stressful part.  Hoping all is well!  For what it's worth, these complaints are so common and many women and their babies do just fine :)

#8 of 11 Old 06-29-2013, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks starflower! Im sorry you had to go through that scare not to mention that medevil instrument! Yikes! Mine was clear early today and then it seems that after I AHEM "drop the kids at the pool" it must release a bit more out? Thank you for your reassurance and good thoughts! I'll be thinking good ones for you too!
#9 of 11 Old 06-29-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketschirpin View Post

Thanks starflower! Im sorry you had to go through that scare not to mention that medevil instrument! Yikes! Mine was clear early today and then it seems that after I AHEM "drop the kids at the pool" it must release a bit more out? Thank you for your reassurance and good thoughts! I'll be thinking good ones for you too!

What you're describing happened to me when I was right around the 6-8 week mark.

I had some brown discharge, just like you described, and sometimes pinkish. I don't think it was ever red. There was a few days where it happened. I know I was 6 weeks the first time, it lasted half a day and stopped, a few days later it came back and did the same thing. I wasn't getting it on my underwear or anything, I would just check the tp after wiping and there would be brown.

And yes, I think it could be related to going #2. If I remember right, that's how it occurred every time I got it. I got the runs a lot in those early weeks (perhaps frequent and loose would be a good way to describe, TMI sorry), and in the process of my butt exploding, I would have light spotting. I'm not saying #2 causes it, but maybe it's making you squeeze out the old blood? 

And after freaking out and googling, I learned that it can also be caused by intercourse. Mine happened a few days after, so I couldn't exactly blame it on that. You make me feel less crazy now that you've experienced it.

Oh btw I'm 22 weeks now and everything is dandy.

cricketschirpin likes this.
#10 of 11 Old 06-29-2013, 09:27 PM

Yes, actually, come to think of it, back at about 7 weeks, I had a TON of hot sauce, and, then a raging case of diarrhea.   Later that evening, I had a lot of pink-tinged mucus.  I'm thinking that something during the diarrhea, etc. got inflamed or blood vessels ruptured.  But, the next day it was back to normal!  Then I had my 8 week u/s a week later and all was fine.  It's just really scary though!

cricketschirpin likes this.
#11 of 11 Old 07-01-2013, 03:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks starflower3 & CLPlus1!  It has gotten much better!  Whew! I got extra rest this weekend and now if it happens again thanks to all of you I'm not going to freak out :-)

This board rocks! 

I have my ultrasound on July 9th and my first apt on July 12th so hopefully it will all be great news. :-)

Tags
Pregnancy , Pregnancy Bleeding

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page