Anemia and pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-28-2013, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have mild anemia and I am 21 weeks pregnant. My last test shows that I have 10.6 hemoglobin and 33 hematocrit.

My gynecologist recommended I get iron intramuscularly every five days. But a hematologist told me that iron stains the skin permanently and that my leves are not worrying.
I`m taking I am taking 100 mg oral iron passing one day since week 17.

I do not want to have more anemia, or follow the rest of the pregnancy worried if the oral iron is working or not.

Has anyone had any experience with intravenous iron? What have been the results in your blood tests? I have severe anemia? Very disturbing? Does the oral iron will not help me improve or be too slow? Please help me.
#2 of 5 Old 07-01-2013, 04:52 PM

I'm shocked your OB would reccomend iron infusions for 10.6.  It is really not that low!  

To give you perspective, mine was 9.4 and I have gotten it up to 10.2 and my midwife is pleased with the improvement.

You need to spend time researching the subject.  There is a lot of interplay with vitamins C, B12, and calcium consumption that can complicate Iron absorbability.

Julia, mama to Bumpa 2008, and The Mole 2011

#3 of 5 Old 07-01-2013, 08:14 PM

I agree that iron infusions sound extreme. 10.6 isn't that low. 11ish is preferable but there is certainly nothing life threatening about a 10.6. Mine was 10.1 and my midwives just ask me to increase iron in my diet and start taking Floradix (a liquid iron supplement). Cooking with cast iron is good too. Calcium will inhibit absorption though so don't drink milk with iron supplements or with food you are eating to increase iron. Vitamin C aids in absorption of iron.

Granola-ey, crunchy, marathoning, natural living Christian mamatreehugger.gif down south with DHguitar.gif and DD1 (6)dust.gif, DD2 (2)energy.gif, and DD3 babygirl.gif.    homebirth.jpgwinner.jpgcd.giffemalesling.GIFgoorganic.jpghomeschool.gif
#4 of 5 Old 07-01-2013, 10:30 PM

I had anaemia in pregnancy. I was started on iron i.v. (i personnally would totally refuse i.m. - I mean, that's painful, right?!) - but my level was 8,5 and I was having symptoms like shortness of breath and being painfully tired - plus the oral medication did not work. @all: it does not only depend on the iron levels, like the exact numbers if you need to give iron, also on symptoms and how the fetus is doing. there might be a valid reason on recommending iron parenterally at this level, you never know the whole story! Hang in there

Trin with DH , DD(7)  and DS(5) ,  DD(2) ,
I am not regularly online at the moment due to the above ...
#5 of 5 Old 07-06-2013, 06:21 PM

I was so anemic in my last (not current) pregnancy that they could not even get a reading--we got an error message. bigeyes.gif I had to take Floradix and eat a ton of iron rich foods to get me up to a 10ish. I had no insurance so any IV iron, etc was not an option for me. I am really surprised at the recommendation of iron injection at that level. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page