Moms Who Always Go Late - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 07-02-2013, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Surely there are other moms like me who ALWAYS go late. All of my babies have been born well past their due dates, with more than half of them born at or after 42 weeks. I went into labor on my own every time. I fully expect this baby to go to 42 weeks. I'm ok with that (well, I wouldn't cry if he or she was born earlier!), and my doctor is completely supportive.

So what do you say to people who say things like, "Oh, I had to have all of my babies induced because I just never go into labor on my own." I suppose that could happen, but it seems like someone says that EVERY time the subject of when I'm due comes up. No way that many women genuinely can't go into labor on their own. Is it best just to smile and nod and not say anything?

Michelle, wife to DH, and momma to DD16, DS15, DS12, DS10, DD9, DD7, DS5, and baby girl born Christmas Eve 2013!
#2 of 21 Old 07-02-2013, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Mine seem to cook longer too. The comments annoyed me so much that I just lied about the due date after my first. Youngest was due june 20, so everyone was told "sometime in July". I do speak up about inductions if I can though..I wouldn't wish that on anyone if it's avoidable.
#3 of 21 Old 07-02-2013, 12:24 PM

This is my first, but I am pretty well convinced that Pip will need to cook longer than 40 weeks. I am an only child and was born (induced) at 42+ and my Mother's mother went over with four (I think) of her seven births. Fortunately, my midwife understands this AND the fact that I have long cycles, so I will at least not be getting pressure to induce at 40 weeks on the nose.

I don't know what it would take to talk me into an induction, but I think it would be a LOT. And just being 41-42 weeks is not enough.

SAH Princess, happily married to my adorable Nerf Herder

brokenheart.gif 2009 Expecting my rainbow1284.gif in November 2013

#4 of 21 Old 07-02-2013, 07:43 PM

Not myself, but a friend of mine has had all 3 of hers between 41 and 42 weeks.

Granola-ey, crunchy, marathoning, natural living Christian mamatreehugger.gif down south with DHguitar.gif and DD1 (6)dust.gif, DD2 (2)energy.gif, and DD3 babygirl.gif.    homebirth.jpgwinner.jpgcd.giffemalesling.GIFgoorganic.jpghomeschool.gif
#5 of 21 Old 07-06-2013, 12:55 AM

My first was 41 wks 4 days, second was 41 wks 6 days, both naturally and I fully expect all future children to fall along similar lines. It always pains me to see friends getting induced for simply being a few days past their due date. I pretty much hold my tongue though!

-Laura

wife of Ben

mommy to DS Dade 10/10/10 & DD Elloree 12/14/11

TTC #3

goorganic.jpg   h20homebirth.gif   saynovax.gif   homeschool.gif   blogging.jpg

#6 of 21 Old 07-06-2013, 10:19 AM

Both of mine went to 41 weeks, so I fully expect this one to as well. Im not counting on a day earlier but I wouldnt complain wink1.gif
#7 of 21 Old 07-06-2013, 12:42 PM

My babe wasn't ready to come out on his due date. And when people asked me when he was due and I told them that his due date was a few days ago, most freaked out and told me I have to go get induced. I didn't even know how to reply, just because he is late doesn't mean I have to get induced! And who are you to tell me what I should do? But I did schedule to get induced a day after two weeks and the night before I went into labor naturally and he was a big healthy boy! I don't think getting induced is bad but it's not as necessary as some people think! :-)
#8 of 21 Old 07-06-2013, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Yep. Always. My cycles have always been long and somewhat erratic and after #1 I was always breastfeeding when I got pregnant, so lmp dating doesn't work for me. Last time I couldn't have even told you when my lmp was so I requested early ultrasound dating.

So based on lmp I had 40+5, 42+, 44, 41+, and a 44+. The last one based on ultrasound was exactly 41 weeks. #3 we induced by arom because I had been contracting on and off all day and ultrasound showed some possible complications. #6 was very sluggish all day the day before and we went in and she failed her nst/bpp and I got hooked up to pit. The others all came on their own and we had been monitoring them and they were all fine.

#9 of 21 Old 07-06-2013, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My one and only was born 41+5. He came naturally. If I am ever pregnant again I will not tell anyone the estimated due date. I would be vague and mention a month.
What should have been a blissful time in my pregnancy, because baby and I were both doing well, instead became horribly stressful. Lesson learned for me.

Per inductions, I would likely not speak my mind unless someone really asked for my opinion.
#10 of 21 Old 07-07-2013, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

As far as telling the due date, I'm due December 12, but I just tell everyone that I "expect this baby sometime around Christmas."

Michelle, wife to DH, and momma to DD16, DS15, DS12, DS10, DD9, DD7, DS5, and baby girl born Christmas Eve 2013!
#11 of 21 Old 07-07-2013, 04:38 PM

I also keep saying its a Christmas baby. We are due December 10th so no one will ask me "have you had it yet?" Until after Christmas I hope!
#12 of 21 Old 07-10-2013, 07:52 AM

I am due march 19 but I have been telling people, the end of March. I went to 42 weeks with my first and 41 weeks with my second and fully expect to go late this time too. :)

I think it's sort of funny and sad that we get that sort of reaction. It's right up there with my doctor told me my 8 lb baby was to big to labor through naturally so i will have to have all my future babies by c-section. I hear that a lot around here too. I hold my tongue though unless the mom seems disatisfied with her experience. otherwise if she's not interested why stress us both out by sharing my opinions on the matter?

#13 of 21 Old 07-10-2013, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Sigh, I have this pregnancy app that gives little "tips" every day. I installed it specifically for the drawings of different gestational stages, to show to my 4yo, but the tips are so BAD that I find them fascinating. (Like talking about washing your hands two days in a row, including detailed instructions. And a tip for dads to -- gasp! -- try listening and even responding when mom talks about her pregnancy! Seriously? The funniest one was when they recommended something to reduce stretch marks, and the very next day say that it's just an old wives tale.)

Out of curiosity, I skipped to the end just to see what they said. I was impressed that they actually have tips all the way up to 42 weeks, but almost every single one between 41 and 42 weeks talks about being induced. The first one *does* say there's no need to be induced if everything looks fine, but after that they flat out assume that the induction is already scheduled. Even going so far as to say what a relief it must be to know that you will definitely have your baby on the induction date, if not sooner.

Don't get me wrong. I HATE those last couple weeks of pregnancy. I am so jealous of women who give birth on or before their due dates. But it makes me crazy that the default reaction to a totally normal situation, when there's not actually any medical reason to be concerned, is to freak out and tell the mother than her baby needs to be saved from her broken, defective body. greensad.gif
Selissa likes this.

#14 of 21 Old 07-10-2013, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Don't get me wrong. I HATE those last couple weeks of pregnancy. I am so jealous of women who give birth on or before their due dates. But it makes me crazy that the default reaction to a totally normal situation, when there's not actually any medical reason to be concerned, is to freak out and tell the mother than her baby needs to be saved from her broken, defective body. greensad.gif

I had a nurse ask if one of my 44 weekers was born in America. She could hardly believe they "let" me do that.

JenVose likes this.

#15 of 21 Old 07-10-2013, 11:59 PM

I had my first one 41wks 2 days and I'm expecting baby number 2 march 19 as well. I learned my lesson this time and I'm telling people early April. Having people ask constantly can be very annoying. Last time my midwife suggested I take black and blue cohosh herbs to help induce labor because my blood pressure was acting up a bit but still normal. I don't know how long I would have gone if I hadn't done that.
#16 of 21 Old 07-12-2013, 08:44 AM

All a few days before or after 42 wks here as well....I too am vague with due dates when asked. Its surprising how many people really push for me to tell them a specific day, though, so then I usually ask them why that's so important to them.

With those people, I do point out that avg. gestation is actually more than 40 wks and even then normal can vary greatly, because I wish someone had told me that before I was overdue with my first and being pressured to induce.

Michelle that app sounds hilariously awful! Stuff like that is the reason I speak up even though Im sure I come off as argumentative sometimes.
#17 of 21 Old 07-13-2013, 07:01 AM

Mine were born at 43+wks and two at 42+wks. And I feel so lucky that I had a wonderful midwife that made me feel comfortable to let my body go into labor when it and the baby were ready. One thing I try to remind people is that normal/average gestation is 38-42 weeks. No one freaks out if the baby comes at 38 and 39 weeks, but they all start to freak out one day after 40 weeks. So many people are being induced before they even wait the very AVERAGE 42 weeks.

I always would try to lie to people about my due date as well, but there were a lot who really pushed me for the exact date. 

JenVose likes this.
#18 of 21 Old 07-18-2013, 07:04 AM

The due date is a guess, not an expiration date. That's what I say. :)

#19 of 21 Old 07-18-2013, 07:47 AM

My daughter was born right around 41 weeks; her due date was adjusted forward by about a week and a half for ultrasound, then back by about half a week for her actual development at birth to come to a nice round 41 weeks. I was steadily heading to "42 weeks" based on my progress up to labor, and had been scheduled for an ultrasound on the following Monday (she was delivered on a Saturday night). I was actually a bit irritated at the extra measures since there were no indications of complication and I felt that there was no need for anything but to just "wait it out." From the time I was around 38 weeks, my grandmother kept calling to insist, "Don't you think you just need to go down to the local hospital ER, explain what has happened and get them to induce you?" So irritating! My entire reason for using a midwife and birthing center nearly two hours away was fear that an OB/GYN would schedule an induction for no good reason, even if it were 40 weeks or later!

#20 of 21 Old 08-04-2013, 09:34 PM

My first baby was induced at 42 weeks.  I'm 12 days past my due date with this one now and not looking like he's coming anytime soon.

I charted and had dating scans with both of them to confirm edd, so it wasn't just a guess.

stork-boy.gif Baby boy born July 30 2011     Baby boy #2 Aug 6 2013

#21 of 21 Old 08-05-2013, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyMuffin View Post

My first baby was induced at 42 weeks.  I'm 12 days past my due date with this one now and not looking like he's coming anytime soon.
I charted and had dating scans with both of them to confirm edd, so it wasn't just a guess.

*HUGS* Everybody here knows how frustrating that can be! Do you have a supportive care provider? If you do, and if you and your baby are healthy, the best thing to do is keep waiting -- even though it's not fun! It seems to me that the most common complication for a baby who goes past his due date is "doctor got antsy."

Tags
Pregnancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page