Birthpool alternatives - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-05-2013, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone given birth in anything other than a dedicated birthpool?
I am planning my second home water birth for this sept/oct and we live in a small home, with having two other children around I don't want to take up so much space by having such a huge pool bang smack in the centre of our lounge (coincidently our biggest space) and then the boys not having enough space to "be" while I labour and birth.
Wondering if anyone has custom made a pool, or used a trough to birth in???
#2 of 5 Old 07-06-2013, 02:02 PM

I have space issues as well, so if I want a waterbirth I will be using our bathtub. It sucks because it's small, and I don't think my husband can be in there with me. My midwife already said it's fine with her, I was worried she would think it would be too difficult to access me.

But for me, I'm not sure I even want to birth in the water, so it would be a waste of money and too much trouble to get a pool. Not to mention, my midwife and her assistant would have to hop in with me because there's no room lol.

#3 of 5 Old 07-07-2013, 11:53 AM

I've attended a few births where women delivered in "fishy" pools. The inflatable kid's type pools. Some of them are smaller than a conventional inflatable birth pool but also have high enough sides that you can fill them pretty high and still get that weightless feeling.

Married to my love stillheart.gif, Mommy to W ('09) homebirth.jpg and Doula.

brokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gif God has answered our prayers & we welcomed our baby girl earth side 11/24/13 h20homebirth.gif

#4 of 5 Old 07-07-2013, 04:38 PM

I tried an inflatable kiddie pool with one labor - it was too small for me in terms of water depth. The water only came up halfway on my belly and I didn't find a lot of relief. It also took up a fair amount of space in my bedroom too. I think as a 5'9, heavier woman, the fishy pool just wasn't right for me. I did not give birth in it as I wanted.

For the next birth, I got a 100-gallon stock tank from the local farm supply store. I put pillows on the bottom to make it softer, lined it with a white sheet and heavy duty plastic wrap before filling with water. The tank is black, so the white sheet was to help judge blood loss and such. I loved everything about it. The water was deep enough to cover my chest and very relaxing. The edges were very firm and I used them for holding on and squatting (while still wonderfully submerged) when pushing got started.  And it took up half the space the kiddie pool did. It was big enough for me to sit and lean back and I think my legs were mostly extended too.

Karen happily partnered mother of 3 beautiful girls (teen/toddler/newborn).
#5 of 5 Old 07-10-2013, 08:02 AM

that sounds great, I tried to labor in my tub last time but it just was not deep enough to get that weightless relief. I ended up hopping in the tub, but then having to much pressure on my back, getting out and walking for a while, then getting back in. it was a mess.

The stock tank sound great though!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page