Question for midwives about fasting blood sugar goal/ need for medication - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-08-2013, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What do you use for your fasting blood sugar cutoff in terms of when you would recommend medications/insulin during pregnancy or any additional testing (u/s, NST, etc)?

This is pregnancy #3 for me, I am 31 weeks.  We are planning a homebirth and live about 15 minute from the hospital.  This is a very active baby and so far a healthy pregnancy other than possible blood sugar concerns.  My weight gain has been much more than with my other 2, but is still within the normal range for those starting out with normal BMI.  With my first 2 I did the glucola testing (failed 1 hour with #1, but all normal values on 3 hour) and passed 1 hour well within range with #2.  This pregnancy, my midwife did not recommend the glucola, and instead checked a 1 hour sugar after my normal meal, which was about 96.  So she didn't recommend additional testing (other than watching for sugar in the urine, which has been negative).  I am measuring fine, but this baby feels bigger at this stage.  (My others were 7#6oz and 8#3oz at 38 3/7 and 39&4/7 weeks respectively).  So out of curiosity, I got a glucometer and started checking my sugars.  My post-prandials are completely fine--my highest 1hr was 119, but several below 100, my 2hr are 65-89).  But my fastings are 96-100, with nothing lower.  I have seen that several organizations are now advocating a cutoff of 90 or 95 for fasting numbers.  I have experimented with different bedtime snacks for about a week and it doesn't seem to change things.  I checked a 3am BG once and it was not low.

What would you recommend?  Continued monitoring?  Seeing an ob and considering medication?  Just relaxing and not worrying about it since my post-prandials are completely fine?  I appreciate any input! 

Thank you.

#2 of 3 Old 07-08-2013, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Not a midwife but I'm big into nutrition lately, fixing some problems my hubby and I were having. For anyone on the verge of diabetic symptoms I'd suggest you try low carb and upping your proteins and fats, meats and veggies. The really effective way I found to do it for my family was cut out most of the grains and dairy in our diet, even to the point of eating stirfry without rice and burgers on lettuce without buns, and using coconut milk or almond milk, and snacking on nuts, fruit, and jerky. After like a week of it you start to recognize carbs as useless, almost tasteless filler. My hubby was insulin resistant and morbidly obese from a normal balanced whole foods diet, and my energy levels would always tank an hour or 2 after eating. Keeping carbs under 100g/day and filling the void with nutrient dense energy rich foods fixed us right up.

#3 of 3 Old 07-10-2013, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

As per the Birth Professionals forum guidelines:

"This forum is not intended to be an "Ask the Experts" forum for members to submit their questions to the trained professionals who frequent the forum. Questions and posts unrelated to being a birth professional should be submitted to the appropriate forum (I'm Pregnant, Birth and Beyond, Health and Healing, Fertility, etc)"

I'm going to move your thread to the I'm Pregnant forum.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  

Tags
Midwives

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page