Baby Hammock? - Mothering Forums
I'm Pregnant > Baby Hammock?
tratliff928's Avatar tratliff928 01:54 PM 07-13-2013

We are starting to prepare for baby #2 who is due in December, and are getting very few things, mainly cloth diaper and a good ring sling and woven wrap. But, since ds is almost 3, I would like to get something for the new baby to sleep in during the day. Ds loved his swing and wouldn't sleep anywhere else except on my chest for 6 months, but I recently discovered baby hammocks and would love to give one a try, instead of a swing. The three I really like are the Hushamok, Amby Air, and Happy Hangup. Has anyone used one and had good luck. I really like how the Hushamok and Amby have stands that could allow a little swinging motion, as well as rocking, but the Happy Hangup is just so beautiful and can be used for longer it seems. If we get one, my plan would be to install hooks in the ceiling in the bedroom in living room so that the hammock could be transported if needed, and only really use the stand when travelling. Does that sound reasonable? The insane price tag is making me super nervous, but I am also a little scared to buy a used one. Since we are not buying much else for the baby, maybe the price tag will be justifiable. Any mamas out there used any of these and have input? Pros and Cons? I think my favorite is the Happy Hangup because it looks like baby would outgrow the Hushamok and Amby quickly. Also, the Hushamok appears really flat, is it like that with baby in it, or is it more cocoon like. The Amby looks tacky to me, but I really don't care about looks, so much as functionality. I know there was a recall, which was why they added the mesh sides (I think). It looks like the Amby might be great for reflux but doesn't look as sturdy as the Hushamok. The Happy Hangup is just so beautiful, and useful. I saw a video with a mom who had a rope attached to it pulling it as she worked, and it amazed me. Sorry this is so long, I just hate to spend this much money and hate the product we buy.

gorgorita's Avatar gorgorita 11:32 PM 07-19-2013
I so wanted one when i had my 2nd kid but did not get it cause i wasnt sure i could justify the price. I wasnt sure if we have another kid or not and just like you were not really buying anything for the second. Well, 3 years later and i am pg again and still not sure it worth it. I think they look cool but totally overpriced. I also think they are not a necessity and quite expensive and if ou get one it will be a splurge we pregos like to do due to hormones. Sorry if this is not the answer you were hoping to get
Up