Sickening Experience - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-22-2013, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had an appt. early this a.m and did not eat anything before leaving.  I did something that, thus far, I've avoided like the plague.  I stopped at McD and ordered a sausage burrito.  I know it's not ideal nutrition, but it seemed fairly balanced and my blood sugar was dropping.  Anyway, the first bite was hot.  The second bite was barely warm.  So first it was undercooked. Now, I'm worried about food poisoning.  Second, the real kicker is that when I stopped to look inside the tortilla, I saw spots of green mold.  I tossed the rest out.  I am utterly disgusted and angry at myself for being so stupid.  I am someone who steams my kale and chard, and drinks kefir every a.m.  Then this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2013, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Wow. That's gross! So sorry that happened to you. I went to McDonald's a few times when I was pregnant with #1. Don't feel bad about it. I learned, like you (but not so strikingly), that the food wasn't as good as I had imagined it would be. If you want something like a sausage muffin, it is pretty fast to make a good one at home using sausage patties, english muffin, cheese slice, etc. Toaster + microwave meal. Plus you don't have to cook an egg if that grosses you out. It's cheaper, too. I think you should indulge a little, if not to just prevent yourself from going to fast food places and getting disappointed. Just my 2 cents. Don't feel too bad about it. It's a funny story for later and your baby will probably be OK. If you start to feel ill, you can visit your doc. I read that antibiotics can help protect the baby from listeriosis.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you!  I'll just keep an eye out.  I can pretty much guarantee that eating out etc. is OVER for this pg. 

Old 07-23-2013, 12:34 PM

If it was me, I would have stopped at McDonald's before I skipped breakfast. Don't feel bad about that. In my case, it would be worse to allow my blood sugar to be that low (and I'd be highly likely to throw up). It's possible to get something decent, you can order just a side of eggs or sausage.

Also, sausage burritos are a mix. Every morning an employee will put cheese on a tortilla shell, scoop out the mix, fold the burrito, and they will be placed in a warmer. You shouldn't need to worry about it being undercooked, probably just underheated. As for the mold, I can't say that all locations make their burritos fresh every morning. Maybe yours really was old.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:51 AM

i'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience in mcdonalds... it's always safe and sanitary if you personally prepare your food. i remember a few years ago when i had a soy drink from a local vendor discovered a fly right after I drank the last drop. :(

Old 07-30-2013, 11:20 AM

Eating something bad can happen at home, too. Let's not beat ourselves up over our food choices. Make the best decision you can in the moment. Some days that might be McD's and some days that will be kale and kefir. If we close ourselves off to entire categories of choice (no eating out ever), were setting ourselves up for more stress.

I'm sorry you got scared by your food. That really sucks.

My wife (30) and I (32) have been legally married since 2006. We are proud queer mamas to baby W, born 10/10/2013.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinxy View Post

Eating something bad can happen at home, too. Let's not beat ourselves up over our food choices. Make the best decision you can in the moment. Some days that might be McD's and some days that will be kale and kefir. If we close ourselves off to entire categories of choice (no eating out ever), were setting ourselves up for more stress.

I'm sorry you got scared by your food. That really sucks.

This. We beat ourselves up for enough things during pregnancy. If you usually eat healthy, one less healthy meal won't make or break the pregnancy. Also, food poisoning can happen at home or in a restaurant. I got a terrible case of food poisoning at home from a jar of peanut butter in 2007, about three weeks before I got pregnant with my first son.  

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.

User Tag List