Gestational diabetes? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 40 Old 07-29-2013, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there.

I go in to the doctor on Friday for my glucose screening. I was overweight before pregnancy (not grossly but I could do better after baby is born), if that's a big indicator. However, I have gained maybe 12 lbs. during the entirety of my 5.5 months of pregnancy.

What are the warning signs? Symptoms? Anything you've encountered?

Also, any ways to lower your glucose count? My test is in the mid-afternoon, if that helps!

Thank you in advance!
#2 of 40 Old 07-29-2013, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just because you are overweight doesn't mean you will have it. I would eat normally so you can get a good idea of where you are at. Even women who are thin can get GD.

Good luck! Keeping my fingers crossed that you pass with flying colors!!
JenVose likes this.

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#3 of 40 Old 07-29-2013, 07:17 PM

I don't think you should be concerned about your weight at all. I have GD and I was 102 lbs prepregnancy (I'm 5'2").

From my experience, it's also entirely possible that you wouldn't have any warning signs or symptoms yet. I was tested at 28 weeks, but my normal everyday blood sugars didn't start showing any problems until 31 weeks.

I agree with dalia that you should just eat normally. The screen isn't the real test anyway.

Good luck with your screening!

*** *5* * *8* * *12* * *16 * * *20* * * 24 * * * 28 * * * 32 * * * 36 * * stillheart.gif 40
#4 of 40 Old 07-30-2013, 04:26 AM

I wouldn't eat anything high in carbs or sugar right before the test - they're going to give you a large dose of sugar at the test so I wouldn't add to that. Focus on protein and vegetables if you need a per-test snack. If you fail the screening you'll get a fasting glucose test which can provide a diagnosis of GD. I failed the screen, but passed the test. The one benefit, I suppose, of failing the screen is that I became much more aware of maintaining a healthy (low sugar/refined carbs) diet and e exercising throughout the rest of my pregnancy.
JenVose likes this.

Mother to a wonderful little girl, born Sept/2011 via h20homebirth.gif and enjoyingbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif

Currently belly.gif(EDD: February 2014)

#5 of 40 Old 07-30-2013, 05:00 PM

Eat a lot of fat and no carbs before the test. Like a big piece off cheese or something. Also, if you can, go for a walk while you wait for the blood draw. Good luck!

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
#6 of 40 Old 07-31-2013, 08:15 AM

All I know is what I did. Scrambled eggs at 6am, and for two hours after that just lots of water to hydrate mtself for the blood draw, no other food or drink. Glucose drink at 8am, followed by no food or drink (not even water) until my blood draw at 9am. Not sure exactly what my numbers were but they said I passed easily. Good luck!

My wife (30) and I (32) have been legally married since 2006. We are proud queer mamas to baby W, born 10/10/2013.
#7 of 40 Old 08-03-2013, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, everyone! I went in for my test yesterday. Before I went I ate an egg-and-cheese-only omelette, drank a great deal of water and unsweetened tea... I find out Monday if everything went well. That drink made me crash hard!
#8 of 40 Old 08-06-2013, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

I feel like a complete failure! I got the call this morning telling me my test rated me at a whopping *168*!!! Now I'm heading back for another test.

My saving grace is that I realized I idiotically ate a sandwich the night before the test...

So, now I head in for the 3-hour test sometime this week. Does anyone have any experience with this?
#9 of 40 Old 08-06-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricalaskan View Post

I feel like a complete failure! I got the call this morning telling me my test rated me at a whopping *168*!!! Now I'm heading back for another test.

My saving grace is that I realized I idiotically ate a sandwich the night before the test...

So, now I head in for the 3-hour test sometime this week. Does anyone have any experience with this?

You are not a failure. <3 In the grand scheme of things 168 is not that high and I bet you will be one of those who can control with diet alone if you even have GD. I can't remember what mine was last time (I knew I would have it this time so no need for the test, I just started taking my BS and got on insulin very early) but I'm pretty sure it was something like 275!!!

It was not stupid for you to eat a sandwich. I think it's reasonable to get an accurate reading on how you normally eat. :-)

Good luck!!

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#10 of 40 Old 08-06-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:

You are definitely not a failure. If you do turn out to have GD, it's just something your placenta does. It is not your fault. I got something in the 160s for my screen as well.

What you ate the night before should not have affected the test, so don't worry about that either.

I couldn't get through the 3-hour test myself. Consuming that much liquid on an empty stomach made me vomit, but I still have morning sickness.

*** *5* * *8* * *12* * *16 * * *20* * * 24 * * * 28 * * * 32 * * * 36 * * stillheart.gif 40
#11 of 40 Old 08-06-2013, 11:13 AM

Oh honey! I get 168 from eating a bagel! You are not a failure. It is impossible to prevent GD.

#12 of 40 Old 08-06-2013, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

I'm so sorry to be dramatic about this; I've otherwise had a pretty good pregnancy... had a stretch of migraines toward the end of my first trimester into the start of my second, but all in all it's been very good. I am just crossing my fingers that I am one of the supposed 2/3 of women who undergo this test who end up passing out successfully. I'm just disappointed. I really hope that I turn out okay. Everything on the Internet talks about how having gestational diabetes could lead to "this" or "that"... I was overweight before my pregnancy, which is the "risk factor" I see, but no "I know all" website out there says that GDM can be "prevented." It's hormonal and in the placenta. I think I have it scared into my head from my mom, who had it with my youngest sibling. She's been on my tail the whole pregnancy telling me that it was horrible, awful, worst thing ever, and that I ought to do "x," "y," and "z" to prevent it... So maybe I have fallacies in my head that are pointing me in a weird direction and I am getting worried about something that will work out in the end?

Anyway... I go in sometime this week. I had no instructions other than to fast from midnight on the day of my appointment and that I can drink water but nothing else should be consumed. Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Thank you, ladies, you're all being so awesome and supportive and it's making me feel a lot better. I texted my husband to tell him and I think he's more upset than I am, if one can imagine!

#13 of 40 Old 08-06-2013, 03:48 PM

I failed the screen. I bought a home blood monitor and started checking my raaction to foods. I started being much more careful about my consumption of sugar and carbohydrates and i realized they were negatively affected my blood sugar. I also consulted with a naturopath. After two or three weeks, I went back for the fasting test and passed. I found the test very difficult because I have a hard time fasting while pregnant. Plus, I don't like blood draws and this test can involve several - one baseline and them after the sugary drink - at intervals - 1 hour, 2 hour, and sometimes 3 hours. I was so sick and weak that I thought I wouldn't make it through. For many people (though certainly not all) GD can be managed through diet and exercise. If you end up with GD they'll send you to a dietician who'll talk to you about your diet and likely ask you to monitor your blood sugar levels. It's not your fault. It's just that some people need to be really careful about what they eat when pregnant or if their numbers are really high, need insulin to help their body manage blood sugar.

Mother to a wonderful little girl, born Sept/2011 via h20homebirth.gif and enjoyingbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif

Currently belly.gif(EDD: February 2014)

#14 of 40 Old 08-06-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:

I'm so sorry to be dramatic about this; I've otherwise had a pretty good pregnancy... had a stretch of migraines toward the end of my first trimester into the start of my second, but all in all it's been very good. I am just crossing my fingers that I am one of the supposed 2/3 of women who undergo this test who end up passing out successfully. I'm just disappointed. I really hope that I turn out okay. Everything on the Internet talks about how having gestational diabetes could lead to "this" or "that"... I was overweight before my pregnancy, which is the "risk factor" I see, but no "I know all" website out there says that GDM can be "prevented." It's hormonal and in the placenta. I think I have it scared into my head from my mom, who had it with my youngest sibling. She's been on my tail the whole pregnancy telling me that it was horrible, awful, worst thing ever, and that I ought to do "x," "y," and "z" to prevent it... So maybe I have fallacies in my head that are pointing me in a weird direction and I am getting worried about something that will work out in the end?

Anyway... I go in sometime this week. I had no instructions other than to fast from midnight on the day of my appointment and that I can drink water but nothing else should be consumed. Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Thank you, ladies, you're all being so awesome and supportive and it's making me feel a lot better. I texted my husband to tell him and I think he's more upset than I am, if one can imagine!

I so understand the mom thing. I love my mom dearly but she has a habit of totally freaking me out and pointing out worse case scenarios. She also says, "I'm really worried about you" which drives me bonkers! She tells me I eat too much fat and this and that which I know is not true. Like you said, it's hormonal.

Try not to stress. <3 I know it's easier said than done. Keep us updated and good luck!!

joy.gif

#15 of 40 Old 08-06-2013, 04:29 PM

I had GD with DS. I think it's a totally random thing. I don't think there is anything you can do to prevent it. I did not have GD with my first. I remember having to fast (no food or drink) after midnight the night before BOTH tests. I still failed. Not terribly so. I wasn't in the 200's, but close. If you have it, don't panic. LIke others said, it's not your fault. You adjust and in no time the baby will be here and it will all be over. Hopefully though your next test will be normal and you can move on. Good luck.

Newly married 10/2013 to DH superhero.gifSAHM to DD 2007  dust.gif and DS 2010  bouncy.gif  homeschool.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.gifhamster.jpg
#16 of 40 Old 08-06-2013, 04:34 PM

Ok, so there are bad things with GD, this is true. Your baby may get too big( unlikely if you control your blood sugar well) and have hypoglycemia (EASILY corrected) and your OB may be more likely to push interventions. But there are some benefits as well. You will eat better than 99% of the pregnant population. The GD diet is so healthy and it really makes you aware of what you eat. I didn't gain a pound after my diagnosis with my last pregnancy, although I had gained a ton before then. I didn't retain any water so I was much more comfortable. Best of all however, is now I know that I am at risk of developing diabetes, and I can stop it from happening. I had zero risk factors for GD, I was extremely thin, no family history etc. I could have a gone a long time without knowing my pancreas is subpar and probably done a lot of damage to my organs. Anyway, I know it sucks, but there are some hidden benefits.

#17 of 40 Old 08-06-2013, 04:34 PM

I inject insulin every night. It's not something that I LOVE doing (lol) but its not that bad. I have a pretty extreme case. I started on insulin at 12 weeks! The most important numbers are the fasting numbers, so if you can control those with diet then that's awesome. If not, it's not the end of the world either. <3

I wish my doc would recommend chocolate icing. HEAVEN!!!!!!! Lol

joy.gif

#18 of 40 Old 08-06-2013, 04:45 PM

I edited my first post. After reading it, I felt I was getting too far ahead of this thread! whistling.gif

The chocolate icing was definitely a treat for me that day I was hypoglycemic. By accident, I found out that eating semi-sweet chocolate chips and peanut butter never sent my sugar through the roof. That was my every other day, afternoon treat. My sugar never went over 100 with that combination. I never told my doctors about that!

I had no risk factors for GD either. I really think it's a total crap shoot.

My son ended up fine. He was 8 lbs 6 oz. Not too big at all. I only gained 36 lbs with him. And scottishmommy is right, you do eat VERY healthy. Definitely a bonus!

Newly married 10/2013 to DH superhero.gifSAHM to DD 2007  dust.gif and DS 2010  bouncy.gif  homeschool.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.gifhamster.jpg
#19 of 40 Old 08-06-2013, 04:54 PM

Oh girl, I eat chocolate every day. I know how to work it. And my numbers are pretty well controlled.

This is the only place in the universe where you can have chocolate as far as I know. TAKING FULL ADVANTAGE!!!!

joy.gif

#20 of 40 Old 08-06-2013, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

You ladies are all awesome. I think I am going to bite the bullet and go in tomorrow morning and just get it over with. I was very mopey today and wandered around like I'd received much worse news than I actually did. I am still really worried because of possible health ramifications for my baby girl... but I am so glad you all pointed out the negatives AND the positives alike. I even read many of your responses out loud to my very helpful husband and he pointed out that the fact that eating healthily certainly would not be a bad thing was something to possibly look forward to. I think he even wants to do it with me so I don't feel all alone. Aww.

It's almost 7 here; I ate a small bowl of leftover noodles to hold me over for the fast, which I've started now so that I can get into the doctor's office between 12-14 hours from now and have a good reading on my fasting levels. I plan on packing half a peanut butter sandwich so that I have something to eat immediately after the test; I get very woozy if I do not eat every couple of hours so I better hang on! LOL!

Thank you so, so, so much for your encouragement, you ladies are saving my sanity along with my husband!

#21 of 40 Old 08-06-2013, 08:09 PM

You are very welcome. And your baby is gonna be just fine. <3 My early onset GD was totally uncontrolled for the first six months of my last pregnancy, my son was pushing 11lbs, and has always been healthy as a horse. All the really scary stuff is mainly for those whose GD had gone uncontrolled. You are taking steps to control things and it honestly doesn't seem like a really bad case anyway. You're gonna be fine and always remember you get a prize at the end of all this (a cute little baby)!!

Good luck and keep us updated!!!

joy.gif

#22 of 40 Old 08-07-2013, 06:50 AM

Good luck! Another thing to keep in mind is that a lot of research for GD includes type 1 diabetics and full on type 2s. GD is much milder and does not present the kind of health risks to the baby as more severe forms of diabetes. Really, the only risk factors you are looking at are LGA and hypoglycemia. Hypoglycemia is easily controlled. My DD's was extremely low, but a little formula fixed it right away ( she couldn't latch right away so we had to give her formula). After that she was just fine and breastfeed like a champ:-) She was big 9.9 but I pushed her out easily without any tears.

#23 of 40 Old 08-07-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishmommy View Post

Good luck! Another thing to keep in mind is that a lot of research for GD includes type 1 diabetics and full on type 2s. GD is much milder and does not present the kind of health risks to the baby as more severe forms of diabetes. Really, the only risk factors you are looking at are LGA and hypoglycemia. Hypoglycemia is easily controlled. My DD's was extremely low, but a little formula fixed it right away ( she couldn't latch right away so we had to give her formula). After that she was just fine and breastfeed like a champ:-) She was big 9.9 but I pushed her out easily without any tears.

Very good point. Also, if you don't have diabetes otherwise, remember that GD is only temporary.

#24 of 40 Old 08-07-2013, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

I did it! I made it through my 3-hour test! I got there at 8, and left at noon. I feel like a pincushion, but it was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. There was a point in time where I thought that the mixture was going to come up, but luckily it was just a brief flash and I was all right. I had Pinterest to keep me occupied, so that was great!

My blood draws get sent out-of-state in about an hour, and I ought to find out tomorrow what the verdict is.

I know I keep saying this, but I just want to reiterate how thankful I am that you ladies stepped in and are so encouraging! It really helped, a lot. I haven't been part of this community for long, but I am so glad that I joined and found a home with such positive, empowering ladies!!!
#25 of 40 Old 08-07-2013, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

PS joy.gif
#26 of 40 Old 08-07-2013, 02:19 PM

Yay!!! Good luck. :-)

joy.gif

#27 of 40 Old 08-08-2013, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

AHHH!!!! I just got the phone call...

I PASSED!

Thank you ladies for your encouragement and your information! I really, really, truly appreciate it. I am just so glad right now!

#28 of 40 Old 08-08-2013, 02:29 PM

YAAAAAAY!!!!!! WHOOO HOOO!!!!

Congrats. ;-)

joy.gif

#29 of 40 Old 08-08-2013, 02:43 PM

Congratulations!

#30 of 40 Old 08-08-2013, 03:57 PM

Oh, that's awesome! Thank goodness!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page