When the baby drops... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-30-2013, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm currently 20 weeks pregnant. My baby has felt very low my entire pregnancy. When I had my ultrasound last week, the tech told me that the baby is currently head down, and pressed right up against my cervix. I know that doesn't mean she will stay there, and I know she's not necessarily still head down, but I can feel her bumping up against my cervix all the time. This is my sixth pregnancy, and I don't remember any of my other babies feeling so low so early.

I'm wondering what this will mean later in my pregnancy when the baby drops. If she's already pressed right up against the cervix, how can she go lower? I've been reading online about when the baby drops, but all I can find is that the baby will move lower into the pelvis, which I already know. What I want to know is, does the cervix move lower to give the baby more room? Or what?

Michelle, wife to DH, and momma to DD16, DS15, DS12, DS10, DD9, DD7, DS5, and baby girl born Christmas Eve 2013!
#2 of 6 Old 07-31-2013, 09:19 AM

Generally, the baby becomes too large to maintain such a low position in the pelvis and will move up. If the position is causing problems for you, I might discuss with my practitioner whether or not there was any reason to be concerned (like perhaps, a weakened pelvis that might spread and allow baby to stay in this super-low position).

I actually had the exact same issue with my very first pregnancy. I found it cleared up around 24 to 25 weeks or so, but by that time it was ridiculous as I sometimes had so much pelvic pain and pressure that I had trouble walking, but wasn't even really showing yet! I was overweight to begin with, and I swear it looked like I carried her "all over" even when I could feel her banging my cervix! My mom and some life-long friends told me after the US where I was told she was a girl, "I wouldn't bet on it!" because of the old wives tale about carrying low and they'd never seen anyone carry THAT low before.

But, by around 20 weeks, the midwives were assuring me that there was no way she could stay that low much longer, and sure enough, about a month later I got my reprieve.

Funny thing is, I carried so low at the beginning that even after baby had "dropped," as confirmed by my midwives, I still had people arguing with me that she was too high, she hadn't dropped yet! Including nurses when I was visiting my husband's grandfather in the hospital.

#3 of 6 Old 07-31-2013, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I can't answer your anatomical question, but the previous poster's experience sounds a lot like mine! I've carried way low the whole pregnancy, and now at 40wks, have no idea how to tell if she's dropped because I've always had a flat part between my boobs and top of uterus.

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#4 of 6 Old 07-31-2013, 04:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Around 7mo
40wks

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#5 of 6 Old 07-31-2013, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

So, the answer is that the baby will move up and then move down again?

Michelle, wife to DH, and momma to DD16, DS15, DS12, DS10, DD9, DD7, DS5, and baby girl born Christmas Eve 2013!
#6 of 6 Old 07-31-2013, 06:49 PM

Yes, the baby will move up and then back down again, barring any complicating factors. Right now, the baby is still small enough to fit snugly into the pelvis, but as it grows, unless you have problems that would cause your pelvic bones to separate, there won't be enough room for this so the baby will not be able to sit low enough in the pelvis to actually get to the cervix. Then, as your body prepares for delivery and baby engages, just the head will be down low in the pelvis toward the cervix, if baby is in correct position.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page