Is my home making pregnancy nausea worse? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-01-2013, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm about 12 weeks pregnant and have had nausea/vomiting since about week 6. My husband and I left for a 17 day vacation to the UK when I was almost 9 weeks. The entire time we were on vacation I was fine. I sometimes felt a little bit nauseous when I didn't eat prompty but having a snack right away would always solve the problem. Then, on the flight back three days ago, I vomited on the plane,  felt awful the entire way home and then was sick again about 4 seconds after we walked in the door. I chalked it up to travel but then today I vomited again.

Since I wasn't sick AT ALL in the UK I'm wondering -- is there something in my environment that is making me sicker? We live in NYC. We have pets, but we stayed with people who have pets, and we visited both cities and countryside while in the UK.

Any thoughts? Could I be responding to something in my environment that is making "morning" sickness worse?

Strawberry lover, dog-person, New Yorker. wool.gif (Who doesn't love a jump-roping sheep?)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 08-01-2013, 06:30 AM

When I was pregnant with my first, certain scents of air fresheners began to make me miserably ill. It was like having hyperemesis gravidium, but only when I was around something with those scents. Scent sensitivity runs pretty prevalently in my mother's family, but I had never been previously affected. By eliminating those, I still had a good run of morning sickness and several other known triggers, but it was definitely far more manageable. Bad news ... even after that pregnancy, when the other triggers went away, I am still sensitive to the scents which caused me the most trouble in pregnancy. I would think there could definitely be an environmental trigger in the home. For me, it was quite noticeable what the trigger was, but I suppose you could have the same reaction without the source being quite so clearly noticeable to you.

#3 of 8 Old 08-04-2013, 11:37 AM

When I was pregnant with my son, I had some intense nausea caused by food smells. I couldn't handle cooking or even being in the house when food was being prepared. At about 9 weeks, my DH and I left for two months in Peru. I was dreading the flight because I knew that the smell of airplane food would make me vomit. But the day of the trip, i had no nausea. The plane ride was fine, I ate the gross lasagna they served, and didn't have any nausea in Peru or for the rest if my pregnancy. It could have been a total coincidence- or like you proposed, something in my home environment could have been to blame. I honestly had never even considered that! ( I thought that somehow it was physiological...)

~may all beings be free from suffering~
#4 of 8 Old 08-04-2013, 01:54 PM

Just to throw out another idea, maybe you were too "busy" to be sick. You were traveling and trying to have a fun time, perhaps too preoccupied to be bothered by certain smells.

#5 of 8 Old 08-04-2013, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Maybe you have mold issues.  That can cause nausea in some, at least from what I've been reading, since I think I might have mold.  Can you try staying out for a day and see if it makes a difference? 

KistheMum likes this.
#6 of 8 Old 08-05-2013, 06:03 PM

I wonder if it's in part because you didn't have to prepare any of your own food while traveling? And it wasn't the same things you were used to?

I've noticed that preparing food triggers my nausea. I just want someone else to make me meals. Making them myself causes me to dread eating it and gives me plenty of time to work up the nausea even worse. Going out? I can eat anything.

#7 of 8 Old 08-12-2013, 11:53 AM

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to share that I have had the same experience in 2 different pregnancies in 2 different houses - going away on a trip makes MS disappear like magic. . My theory is being away from home relieves a lot of daily life stress, which makes MS better. 

Mom to 4 amazing people - 17ds, 14ds, 12ds, and 10dd and a new one due 3-19-14.

#8 of 8 Old 08-18-2013, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Glad to know I'm not the only one Jess! :)

Strawberry lover, dog-person, New Yorker. wool.gif (Who doesn't love a jump-roping sheep?)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page