Eating Your Placenta Experiences? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-09-2013, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm on baby #4 and have never eaten my placenta.  I was wonder if some moms who have in some births and not in others saw a difference.  My midwife said she definitely sees a difference with less incidence of PPD, less bleeding, and better milk supply.  I have never had an issue with any of these things, except bleeding but I think that is normal for me and why should I try and change that?

I have read that some moms have had reactions to eating their placenta or more so to the herbs mixed with them.  I would encapsulate mine, I couldn't cook or drink it.  Also how much of the nutritional properties remain after cooking/dehydrating anyway? Not all mammals eat their placentas I read.  Most do it to clean up their birth site and to prevent the smell of the birth attracting predators.  So I'm on the fence about whether nature/God really intended us to eat it.  

So placenta eaters was it worth it? What differences did you feel? I don't want to spend $175 on placenta pills unless I'm really going to notice a difference.  

supermod.gif who isbelly.gifwith #4  has jumpers.gif . Believe in homeschool.gif,bfinfant.gif,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIF,h20homebirth.gif,goorganic.jpg,saynovax.gif

#2 of 10 Old 08-09-2013, 06:41 PM

I'm encapsulating mine, but it's my first pregnancy so I can't give you much input. My midwife thinks it's a great idea and would probably want to educate me more if I hadn't been on board already, so I'm guessing she thinks it helps a lot. My opinion is that it seems harmless (don't know anything about herbs, I wasn't adding any), so anything that could potentially make my early days of mothering easier is worth a try.

I'm also doing it myself, so I won't be losing money and don't have that to consider...of course I would have wasted my time. It's not a complicated process, just a bit time consuming when you have a new baby. There's lots of blogs and youtube videos if you're interested in doing it yourself, but I understand you might rather pay someone to do it.

I'm also curious about those who have eaten it vs. not.

#3 of 10 Old 08-09-2013, 09:10 PM

I had my placenta encapsulated and it was amazing! I felt so good while I was taking it. This was my only birth so it's impossible to know how I would have felt without it, of course. But I definitely feel it was worth it. If I were to give birth again, I would save a weeks worth of the placenta pills to have just in case I started to feel bad later on. In my case, I took them until they were gone. It took about for weeks I believe. Around week 6, I started to have some anxiety/insomnia issues, and I wished I'd saved some of the amazing placenta to help me move through it.

Congratulations and best of luck to you!!

Queer parent on the adventure of a lifetime raising my sweet little guy, born at home in September 2012, with the love of my life by my side!
#4 of 10 Old 08-10-2013, 06:48 AM

i had my husband cut it up into one inch cubes, wrap them in siran wrap, and freeze them. I put them in smoothies. I couldn't taste it at all and I recuperrated much more quickly. It was fantastic.

#5 of 10 Old 08-10-2013, 02:10 PM

I didn't with my first or second but encapsulated it with my 3rd.  I could tell a difference, no ppd and my pp bleeding stopped much sooner.  It also helped my supply not to dip every month when my cycle came back, which baby appreciated.

Christi

Wife to one Amazing man, Mom to 3 Wonderful children with #4 due in Feb

#6 of 10 Old 08-12-2013, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've only had one birth so far, and I did freeze and then consume my placenta in smoothies. Having nothing to compare it to, I can't say how effective it was, but it definitely was a positive experience. If you do smoothie it, though, just be sure you cut out all the stringy or really tough pieces before you freeze it. Sucking them up a straw is pretty yucky, and it was the only time I was conscious of what I was drinking.

Maker-mama, joyously loving my boy, Winter Rhys, born 12/2011, and our twins, Wren and Forest, born 4/2014.
#7 of 10 Old 08-14-2013, 09:02 PM

I also cut mine up in cubes and froze them for smoothies. They lasted about 5 or 6 weeks. Didn't really taste anything, other than that my smoothies seemed more 'robust'. It's really not as gross as it seems. No other birth to compare to, but postpartum was pretty much a breeze for me. Had a c-section, and recovered quickly- no baby blues, good energy. I will be freezing it again this time around :)

#8 of 10 Old 08-16-2013, 06:58 PM

I dehydrated then encapsulated mine with my second . I had more stress, anxiety and ppd around 2 months then again around 4 months post then I had with my first . The situation was different though . I had a 2 going on 3 year old and my husbands father was given 2 weeks to live the day I gave birth . So he being an only child wasn't around much in the first 2 /3 months . Plus the depressing factor of a fifty something in my circle passing on blah blah blah .....I will not encapsulate this one. May try the smoothie ? I just don't want to have one more big thing to do that in my experience may not have the desired effect .
#9 of 10 Old 09-17-2013, 08:47 AM

Bumping this thread to jump in and say that I am planning on encapsulating the placenta with this birth. I am delivering at a birth cetner and at my appointment yesterday they gave me a form regarding the placenta...do I want to take it home, dispose of it at the center, etc. I hadn't even thought about encapsulating yet (this was my first appointment...hadn't been thinking that far ahead yet). But now I am excited over the idea. I want to get a placenta print to frame as well.  Yay placenta!

:joy

stork-boy.gif expected April 2014; mama to two boys 7/1/99 and 5/9/04.
#10 of 10 Old 09-22-2013, 07:26 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

I also had mine cut into cubes and put in smoothies. My milk came in about 12 hours PP and DS only lost 4oz and shot right back up. I didn't have any depression (which I am prone to, and we had some very stressful situations going on around the time of his birth), and at times when I would start to feel really emotional for no apparent reason my wonderful DH would make me a smoothie and I would seriously feel emotionally stable within seconds. It was great. I will definitely do the same with our next baby. I didn't with my daughter and things were good, although my milk took longer to come in. Very different circumstances, though.

girl reading.gif absolutely in love with boy modifiedartist.gif.  DD loveeyes.gif (11/06) and DS luxlove.gif (08/11), and someone new in July stork-suprise.gif!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page