Accidentally ate cold prosciutto!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-16-2013, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Ladies,

I feel like I find something new to panic about every day at this point (yesterday it was lavender), but today I did something more than a little stupid and could really use as much reassurance as possible. I essentially ate small piece and a half of cold prosciutto in a sandwich before remembering that that's one of the foods pregnant women are told to avoid b/c of the listeria risk. I feel like such and idiot! 

I have had several (we think autoimmune-related) miscarriages and this is the first pregnancy that's made it past the fourth week. I'm almost seven weeks along now, and so far everything is going just fine, except for the fact that I keep finding things to panic about on a daily basis. 

On the plus side, the brand was a very reputable one (Boar's Head), the prosciutto went straight from fridge, to table, to sandwich, and I only ate a small piece. That said, I've been given several intralipid infusions and am on blood-thinners right now, all in an attempt to keep my immune system calmed down. The doctor did say (and somewhat emphatically) that these wouldn't suppress my immune system in any way, but still . . . The crazy thing is that I even called my doctor's office and got reassurances from the nurse that I'm fine and I'm STILL freaking out. 

I guess I'm just looking for reassurances that I'm ok. I'm just terrified of accidentally doing anything that would harm this pregnancy :( 

#2 of 9 Old 08-16-2013, 10:02 AM

Don't worry. The risk of listeriosis from cold meats is so infinitesimally small that MDs in Britain don't even advise women to avoid those foods. 

ETA: To clarify: there is a (small) risk of listeriosis from ANY unheated food at ALL, not just cold deli meats. The risk from eating cold deli meats is a HAIR higher than the risk from eating, say, cantaloupe. 

Because it's ridiculous to prohibit pregnant women from eating any fresh food at all for nine months, we try to guess the most likely culprits. Unpasteurized soft cheeses and deli meats are AMONG the top offenders, but sprouts and cantaloupe are right up there too and no one freaks out about them. 

I, personally, think that the ADDED risk of (say) prosciutto above and beyond the risk we all ALREADY run by eating ANY fresh food is so so so so so so small that we all just shouldn't panic any more than we have to. 

Life's full of risks. We're all WAY more likely to miscarry from a traffic accident than from listeriosis, so . . . deep breaths all around, me as much as anyone else!

KistheMum, Asling and JenVose like this.
#3 of 9 Old 08-16-2013, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much, pepperedmoth!  That really makes me feel better -- I just kept finding all kinds of scary info on the interwebs and really started to freak myself out :P I really appreciate your reassurances!

#4 of 9 Old 08-16-2013, 06:24 PM

I ate some yesterday too. :) Pregnancy is hard - you can always find something to worry about!

Baby Boy 9/08 & Baby Girl 3/11

#5 of 9 Old 08-16-2013, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh, honey! I'm sorry you're freaking out. Please don't worry about it. The risk is so tiny. Don't worry!

Step away from the interwebs... It will only freak you out worse. <3

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#6 of 9 Old 08-19-2013, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much ladies smile.gif I really appreciate the kind words and assurances -- as well as the sage advice to steer clear of the interwebs!!

Update: oh my lord, iPhone autocorrect did a number on the original version of this comment! Lol!
dalia likes this.
#7 of 9 Old 08-20-2013, 03:55 AM

Eating one right now orngbiggrin.gif.

Here and in most of Europe most pregnant women eat them and quite frequently too. The only things you're told to avoid here are alcohol and raw meat. I think the risk is a lot higher from eating contaminated fresh produce that is not washed well.

pepperedmoth likes this.

Mama to my little Lily luxlove.gif (09/2010), and a sweet baby boy joy.gif (12/2012)

#8 of 9 Old 08-20-2013, 09:02 AM

I don't eat red meat, but I kept on accidentally eating prosciutto in Europe a couple of months ago. I accidentally ate prosciutto like 20 times! Big plates of it, wrapped around melon, on top of bread with cheese, the whole works. Oops.

But being serious, yes, the actual risk is very very low, on the order of 1/10,000. You should be fine.  

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#9 of 9 Old 08-20-2013, 09:02 AM

I don't eat red meat, but I kept on accidentally eating prosciutto when we were in Europe a couple of months ago. I accidentally ate prosciutto like 20 times! Big plates of it, wrapped around melon, on top of bread with cheese, the whole works. Oops.

But being serious, yes, the actual risk is very very low, on the order of 1/10,000. You should be fine.  

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page