Worried about what I ate - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 08-18-2013, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

It seems that I get mild food poisoning once in every pregnancy.  This time,...I had some some elk sticks (dried elk) we bought on vacation.  We didn't have it refrigerated, because it's dried and we were on vacation, but when we got home, we stuck the remainder in the fridge.  Yesterday (about 2 weeks after we bought them), I threw them in the car to take with us on a long drive.  I was sitting with the kids in the back and took them out, but when I grabbed one of the sticks, it felt "slimy".  I asked my husband to see if he thought it was ok.  Now, dh ALWAYS thinks everything is ok and nothing ever spoils, but this time he was like "ewww...throw that out!" after he smelled the sticks.  Unfortunately, for whatever stupid reason (pg brain?), I licked my fingers with some of the "slime" right before he said that (gross I know).  I'm not concerned about food poisoning...but I am concerned about listeria.  I've been reading that listeria is pretty common in the environment...how much do you need to typically eat to get infected?  I've read that incubation is anywhere between 3 and 70 days and even a very mild infection in the mother is a serious threat to the baby.  Anyone have any experience with this? I'm pretty healthy but from what I've read most of the listeria cases are in healthy pregnant women.  Anything to to except worry about what I may have done to the baby?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 08-19-2013, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I would call your dr and see what they say. But the damage is already done. Listeria is still pretty rare to get. Hopefully its nothing.

Tags
Pregnancy , Pregnancy Questions

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page