Nitrous and Labor - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-19-2013, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After seeing this used in Call the Midwife, I had to find out more about. I found some articles that advocate for its comeback, but it looks like it would just be wishful thinking. I'm thinking of asking the CNM at my appointment tomorrow if they've added it. Has anyone had an OB to recently add nitrous or used it in labor?

><> Mom to superhero.gif (6) hearts.gif (4) energy.gif (2) and baby.gif (born March!)
#2 of 6 Old 08-19-2013, 09:18 AM

From what I have seen about nitrous oxide, it is still in quite common practice in some countries, but has simply fallen out of favor in the US. I suppose it would entirely depend on the “environment” in your area as to whether practitioners are open to the idea or using it – I have seen nothing to indicate that it’s usage is contraindicated in any way. If interested, I would certainly ask! Best of luck!

#3 of 6 Old 08-19-2013, 12:37 PM

Nitrous oxide can have very serious neurological side effects for people with an MTHFR genetic variation. About 30% of the population has one or another variation of MTHFR. I'm not sure if nitrous affects people with all different forms (homozygous, heterozygous, etc etc) or not, and I know it doesn't affect every person every time it's used, but it's enough of a concern that I mark it on all of my son's and my own medical forms. I wouldn't go for this unless you have tested negative for MTHFR (a simple lab test that a doc's office can do, but they have to test for a couple different versions of it). 

34 yo mom of boy #1 (Spring 2009), baby #2 is here! (Jan 2014)

2nd generation co-sleeper and extended breastfeeder, grateful to my mom for

letting me witness homebirth as a little girl and giving me confidence in my ability to birth normally.

#4 of 6 Old 08-19-2013, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

It is very rare in the US. I don't think there are more than a handful of hospitals that offer it to laboring women and it's not one of the meds midwives here can get for births at home. There's a lot of resistance from anesthesiologists to incorporating it into the system, which makes sense when you consider that being on hand to give laboring women epidurals is a "bread and butter" type payoff for many of them. Nitrous does not require the presence of an anesthesiologist to administer.

abiyhayil likes this.

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

#5 of 6 Old 08-23-2013, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

This is the first time seeing MTHFR but wow that opens up a whole heck of a lot. Have you had the genetic test?

><> Mom to superhero.gif (6) hearts.gif (4) energy.gif (2) and baby.gif (born March!)
#6 of 6 Old 09-09-2013, 07:52 PM

Yes, I got it done through a regular doctor's office on advice from a holistic health counselor. I can't remember what made her think I might have it, but lo and behold I was homozygous for it. I think in my case it's the explanation for my difficulty absorbing B vitamins and my chronic anemia symptoms when I don't take an activated form of B6. 

34 yo mom of boy #1 (Spring 2009), baby #2 is here! (Jan 2014)

2nd generation co-sleeper and extended breastfeeder, grateful to my mom for

letting me witness homebirth as a little girl and giving me confidence in my ability to birth normally.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page