Seeking professional advice on Group B strep - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-28-2013, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

During my last pregnancy, I tested positive for Group B strep, and went forward with a OOH birth center birth without IV antibiotics, which worked very well for me (41 weeks, no AROM until I was pushing, baby born less than 15 min later, perfect APGAR at birth and 5 min).

Before the GBS test, I will be making sure to get plenty of probiotics in my diet, etc.

I would also like to take a home test or "off-the-record" test for GBS before the one that I am given at the clinic. Although I know these results will be earlier than are truly useful, I would like to know if that test comes back positive or not. I would like to use Hibiclens for the "official" test, which I know gives me a very good chance of passing the test, however, would not actually preclude the presence of GBS.

If I am able to get an earlier result, my plan is to basically use the Hibiclens protocol to ensure a negative result on the "official" test, but if my earlier result was negative, to simply continue with a probiotic-rich diet, etc., until birth. However, if the earlier test were positive, I am trying to decide whether or not I am comfortable with using only Hibiclens in a hospital setting, and whether I would even use it to "pass" the test. If I did make that decision, I would use Hibiclens during labor as well, knowing that I had been GBS positive during my pregnancy. Because I'm not certain how comfortable I am with the Hibiclens, I would prefer to have some idea of my status, rather than just assuming that I am positive again with this pregnancy and continuing Hibiclens when I have no "real" data either way.

Is there an option in the US for testing that would not necessarily be accessible to a primary care provider? It would be nice if it were a semi-professional option, so that if testing is negative and I do happen to go into labor before results were available from my GBS test, I could bring in my own personal testing results in order to avoid IV antibiotics during labor.

Thanks for any advice that you may be able to provide!

#2 of 4 Old 08-29-2013, 12:36 PM

I have to move this thread to "I'm Pregnant," as per the forum guidelines:

Quote:
This forum is not intended to be an "Ask the Experts" forum for members to submit their questions to the trained professionals who frequent the forum. Questions and posts unrelated to being a birth professional should be submitted to the appropriate forum (I'm Pregnant, Birth and Beyond, Health and Healing, Fertility, etc).

I hope you get good advice there!

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#3 of 4 Old 09-02-2013, 05:18 AM

I found this article on GBS helpful:  http://evidencebasedbirth.com/groupbstrep/  It is pretty extensive and I felt better educated about the actual risks and how it is handled in different parts of the world after reading it.  My bias is to refuse the anti-biotics, because I think the initial bacterial exposure that infants receive is really important, and I don't want to throw that balance off without cause.  *But* if something happened that made me higher risk (like my water breaking in before labor has started, or the baby coming early) then I would accept them.  If I knew I were positive and I did not have the anti-biotics, I would definitely want my baby watched very closely.  GBS+ babies get sick very quickly and prompt treatment is vital.  This author is generally pro-alternatives and natural birth, and she seems to come down on the side of the anti-biotics in this article, so that did make me take it more seriously than I might have. 

cyclamen likes this.
#4 of 4 Old 09-02-2013, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

So, I have child with severe gluten and mild dairy intolerance.  I've read extensively about that possibly being related to bacterial balance and I'm very interested in doing what I can to support healthy gut flora in my kids.  I have reservations about the overuse of abx but in my opinion GBS+ is not one of those situations.  

I was told that IV abx are different from oral abx and do not affect the gut as much.  This seems to be true to me.  I had GBS in my previous pregnancy and was expecting to receive abx during labor.  Didn't get a chance to, but had a manual placenta removal afterwards so I got a bag of abx to prevent uterine infection.  I took probiotic supplements and had no gut problems or issues with thrush afterwards.  I think that taking probiotics a couple hours after you get your abx in labor and continuing to supplement yourself and the baby after the birth is a good thing to do if you are worried about bacterial balance.  GBS is not a problem so much of the time, but when newborns develop complications because of it, severe issues can happen incredibly fast.  Instead of one or two bags of abx during labor and some skin to skin time afterwards, it's thinking your baby is fine, then NICU time, tubes, wires, stress, illness and possibly long term issues or death.  Preventative medicine is where it's at, in my opinion.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page