Weightlifting during pregnancy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-29-2013, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'll be 5 weeks on Saturday and I'm wondering whether it's bad to keep lifting. I do barbells at the gym and while I know benching is a no-no because you're flat on your back, and I don't really feel comfortable deadlifting while pregnant (worried I'll throw out my back), I'm wondering whether it's ok to keep doing squats and the military press with just the bar, which is 45lbs and frankly not much weight for me compared to what I was doing pre-pregnancy. If I do short sets, i.e. 3 sets of 5 reps with a good break between sets, it doesn't raise my heart rate that much. I switched to the vertical press machine instead of benching, which has you comfortably seated and pressing the weight forward from your chest. Again, reduced weight from what I'm used to. I'm already overweight and I'd like to stay as fit as I can during pregnancy. Any thoughts? Other than being tubby I have no other health issues or risk factors.

angel.gif 6/07  angel.gif 5/13  angel.gif 9/13

Still trying for our rainbow1284.gif.

#2 of 7 Old 08-30-2013, 04:00 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Congrats! I would ask your doc. That being said, my doc said it was fine for me to keep lifting my daughter (25lbs) during pregnancy as long as I lifted correctly so I didn't hurt my back. I think if youre used to lifting more than 45 lbs then its probably fine. She said it was fine to keep exercising too just keep my heart rate under 140. Please do verify this with your doc though. Enjoy! I definitely was glad I kept a bit active during pregnancy this time.

Our little miracles are here!!joy.gif
energy.gif DD Born 7/15/11 biggrinbounce.gif DS Born 4/3/13
love.giflove.gif Keep growing healthy and strong, beautiful little fighter babies!!!

Auntie to Nell, Greta, Maggie, and Elsa!

Remembering our 3 losses

#3 of 7 Old 08-30-2013, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I do plan to ask my midwife but she's out of town right now and my first appointment isn't for a few weeks which is why I'm crowdsourcing the question in the meantime wink1.gif It's far less than what I was doing before and puts no strain on my back with proper form. Really it's barely anything to squat but easier (in my opinion) to have good form and balance with the bar than just a body weight squat.

#4 of 7 Old 08-30-2013, 06:41 AM

yeah both my midwives and an ob told me it was fine to keep lifting as long as i didn't push myself to hard, and that i was just continuing a pre-existing regimen.

#5 of 7 Old 09-03-2013, 11:48 AM

From everything I've read, not only is it fine, it's good for you and the baby. Until you get large and uncomfortable, there's no reason to reduce your weights, as long as you listen to your body and it feels okay. You can lay flat on your back through the first trimester. It's not until the second trimester that you have to worry about compressing the vena cava. Also, there's an ancient old myth floating around that a pregnant woman can't get her heart rate above 140. They believed that for like 10 minutes in the 1980s, but that's found to be totally incorrect.

A lot of my crossfit classes include strength training, and it's been great so far (I'm 8 weeks along).

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#6 of 7 Old 09-03-2013, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Check out crossfitmom.com for a wonderful weightlifting Q&A. 

I lifted until 38 weeks and did it because it felt amazing, not to prove anything.  Back squats (in my case, 90 pound squats - my regular squat is about 150#, so I definitely toned it down) felt so good on my hips and back.  My form was much better thanks to all the relaxin in my system.  I had a difficult labor, but pushing was super easy and such a relief, which I attribute in part to my strength at that time. 

The above website has some really helpful general guidelines for exercise during pregnancy.  My OB tried to tell me not to lift anything heavier than 25 pounds, which is ridiculous.   You can lift what you're comfortable lifting, but watch your form and make sure it feels comfortable at the time.  Don't strain yourself and avoid heavy deadlifts or lifts where you "bear down".  Otherwise, you're good to go!

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#7 of 7 Old 09-03-2013, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

That's great info, LilyTiger, thank you!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page