How Soon Did You Know? Could I Be Pregnant? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-02-2013, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My husband and I had unprotected sex on August 27-31 (some days twice a day.) Those days were my ovulation days, also. I have been experiencing some cramping, dizziness, and headaches as well as some breast soreness and an occasional 'tingly' feeling. I have read that a lot of women know within days that they are pregnant since they are so in tune with their bodies. Do you think I could be? I am not on any form of birth control. 

I have this feeling that I am but I'm scared that this is just wishful thinking. We just started "trying" this month... 

#2 of 5 Old 09-02-2013, 11:01 AM

Not to sound like a magic 8 ball, but chances are good!

><> Mom to superhero.gif (6) hearts.gif (4) energy.gif (2) and baby.gif (born March!)
#3 of 5 Old 09-03-2013, 08:55 AM

I don't think it's a measure of how in tune with your body you are - some implantations happen sooner than others, some bodies show more symptoms than others. Did you do any tracking to know which of those days was your actual ovulation? I haven't heard of anyone getting strong positive symptoms less than 4 days after ovulation, but who knows, maybe you are a fast implanter! I had my first symptoms on the fifth day after I ovulated.

My wife (30) and I (32) have been legally married since 2006. We are proud queer mamas to baby W, born 10/10/2013.
#4 of 5 Old 09-03-2013, 10:48 AM

Progesterone floods the body after ovulation to help the uterus be more hospitable for a blastocyst to implant, whether we are going to get pregnant or not, so we all get tender breasts to a degree and other sensations that feel like pregnancy. 

However, there have been two times in my life where the sensations were remarkably strong to the point where I was convinced I was pregnant. I had also had a lot of sex during the previous ovulation. So I developed this theory that the more sex you have while you're ovulating, the more progesterone the body produces to help along the pregnancy.

Just some random musings...

#5 of 5 Old 09-05-2013, 03:16 PM

Personally, I try to “ignore” that two week wait and anything I feel one way or another. When we were TTC #1, I recall that just two months before we got that BFP, I had an odd metallic taste in my mouth starting about four days after ovulation – nothing tasted right, I had an increased sense of smell, my boobs were incredibly tender, I was definitely hormonal. I was certain I was pregnant! I spent my days scouring every pregnancy/pre-pregnancy/TTC website I knew. I kept entering all my symptoms on Countdown to Pregnancy and watching the percentiles go up for the number of women who’d reported similar symptoms in the month they became pregnant. I couldn’t wait to test … I finally made myself wait until 10 DPO to take my first test. I just knew that whether or not I actually saw that second line, I was pregnant. I was convinced that if the second line wasn’t there, it was only because I had tested too early, not because I was not pregnant. I was so anxious to share my news with anyone and everyone I told my mother I was testing and I’d let her know because if it was positive I was telling my brothers that night (my youngest brother’s graduation happened to be the day I was testing). So I took the test that morning … and was utterly devastated when AF came that same evening (funny thing, that … when I was TTC #1, it seemed the surest way to get AF was to take a pregnancy test – I started each time, usually finished peeing in the cup and wiped only to find a bit of blood).

Fast forward a couple of months, and I was taking things a day at a time. I began having cramps just as I’d expect for my period, but a few days early, and I told DH that I was sorry, but it looked like we were definitely out that month. As I didn’t want a summer baby, I was beginning to get antsy, as our window was getting closer and closer, but I was trying so hard not to worry. I ignored the fact that it was getting harder and harder to brush my teeth in the mornings. I even threw up a couple of times while brushing my teeth, but I never had a second thought about it, until the morning came when I expected AF. Then it all began to sink in. I only had one test and I hadn’t taken it first thing that morning. But we needed some other items in town, so I decided to take it. There wasn’t a second line, but it seemed like there might have been a few faint spots where the second line should be. It definitely wasn’t what I considered a negative. We bought the tests and when the morning came and I still hadn’t started AF I was convinced almost before I saw the test. Sure enough, just putting that anxiety aside worked for us!

#2 (my current pregnancy), was unplanned, but we know exactly when we “did the deed” that led to conception. The very day afterward, I told DH, “Well, if we weren’t really trying for #2, that was kinda dumb.” He asked if I thought I was pregnant, and I told him that again, I just wasn’t going to think about it, as either way I had two weeks of worrying about something  or getting myself excited about the possibility when it wasn’t going to affect the outcome either way. But the day before my period was due, I got antsy to know so I went out and bought pregnancy tests in case I needed them the next day. I bought two, because I knew I probably wouldn’t be able to wait overnight, and well, since I had two, I might as well take one as soon as I was home even though I knew it could be inconclusive without being a first-morning test. Imagine my surprise when there was no question at all, no faintness to the line – just a regular positive test! I never even bothered to take that second test at all!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page