Pregnant & Nursing - Graduates thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-02-2013, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I figured I would start a thread for those of us who are nursing and pregnant. It's meant to be a graduates thread from the TTC & Nursing thread, but anyone pregnant and nursing, or people with questions about it, are welcome!

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2013, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

I caught the third postpartum egg after encouraging PPAF with night-weaning, extra food and Vitex. I didn't notice any deleterious effects from my Vitex use.

So far I'm five weeks pregnant, and I've had pretty painful nipples at latch-on a couple times, but it goes away quickly. My DS is 17 months and nursing 2x dying the week and about 4x during the weekend. I was excited about encouraging him to nurse more after my BFP, but he's way too busy to comfort nurse and he is totally into adult food.

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
Old 09-02-2013, 10:30 PM

Thanks RosieL!

DD is 17 months as well, and nurses 3-4 times per day. I've also been very sensitive at latch on - ouch! There was also about a week after my BFP that DD was super fussy - I wondered if perhaps my supply was dropping or the taste changed or something. She's ok now it seems.

I'm 6 weeks 3 days today. Yesterday evening I had one side of my throat sore and started feeling the aches of sickness coming. I started having a fever and tried going to bed early to sleep it off. I tossed and turned and tossed and turned and finally gave up trying to sleep at midnight and was up till 3am and honestly felt like I was dying! I started googling fever in early pregnancy (don't do that!!) but had no paracetomol in the house so I couldn't take anything to reduce the fever. Now I'm freaked out the fever will have effected my baby/pregnancy. I still don't feel great today and had a fever this morning. DH bought me some fever reducer and it kicked in around 11am and I think I've been fever free since then.

Sorry for the novel! I'm being paranoid after a loss in January which started at 6 weeks 4 days :(. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow!

T-lynn (25) married DH on 28/07/07 partners.gif DD Isla born 28/03/12 diaper.gif TTC #2

Old 09-04-2013, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry for the fever, discomfort and fear. :( I hope you find that it's just a bump in the happy road ahead. 

DS has start to nurse for longer periods, around 20 min, in the morning lately. I love it, except that we are starting our day much later than normal!

Old 09-07-2013, 05:09 AM

Do you think the longer nursing in the morning is a response to a possible change in supply?

Drs appointment went well! We are doing BETAs for 3 weeks in a row just to make sure, but I had an ultrasound and there was a heartbeat :) yay! Fingers crossed for a sticky baby! I'm 7 weeks exactly today. I think I might feel better after 10 weeks, maybe not till the usual 12 week hump though.

T-lynn (25) married DH on 28/07/07 partners.gif DD Isla born 28/03/12 diaper.gif TTC #2

Old 09-07-2013, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter

Sounds like everything is going the right direction!

I don't think my supply has dropped; I an hear him gulping down the milk. I've been nursing him laying in bed. Maybe the side-lying encourages a longer suckle. NAK right now, actually. smile.gif

Old 09-09-2013, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi Mamas! Great idea, RosieL. I popped in to see how you all were doing. I am hopeful that you all are able to nurse as long as you would like throughout your pregnancies.

I am 8 dpo and this is my 1st cycle after my chemical. I am continuing to nurse on demand....but I am wondering if it is hurting my chances of a sticky bean. But we will see. I would love to be able to nurse for a while longer, through a healthy pregnancy.

Glad you all are doing well!!! :-) Hope your betas come back great, Tantylynn! (Hugs)
Old 09-10-2013, 04:36 PM

I'm 18 weeks pregnant and nursing my almost 2 year old. I caught the first postpartum eggie. I'm pretty sure my supply is gone, but DD still nurses a couple times a day, particularly in the morning upon wake up. My nipples are getting super sensitive though and DD is not so gentle so that's been difficult. But, other than that pregnancy and nursing are going well.

Mother to a wonderful little girl, born Sept/2011 via h20homebirth.gif and enjoyingbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif

Currently belly.gif(EDD: February 2014)

Old 09-11-2013, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Fingers crossed for you, wengrin. :) 

Hi Sukhada! Congrats on catching the first egg!!! Has your DD always nursed in the morning? My DS is just starting to lengthen and lengthen his morning nursing, and it's pretty new. I have no idea what's up with supply. I thought it wouldn't be likely to dip until later (I'm only 6 weeks). You?

Old 09-11-2013, 04:24 PM

My DD always liked to nurse in the morning, but moreso now that we've night weaned. I've always had difficulty with supply so I expected mine to go early and that that would likely not be a detterent to my little one. I think the whole supply thing is pretty individual, in terms of when you lose it or even if you lose it.

Mother to a wonderful little girl, born Sept/2011 via h20homebirth.gif and enjoyingbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif

Currently belly.gif(EDD: February 2014)

Old 09-12-2013, 05:25 AM

Thanks Wengrin! You're so sweet :) The BETA from 6 weeks 3 days was 79000 so nice and strong!! I haven't gotten the results for my repeat at 7 weeks 3 days, but I'm calling tomorrow so I'll let you all know!

Welcome Sukhada! Congrats on catching the first egg, that's awesome! I also have a morning nurser. She nurses throughout the day and before bed too, but the morning nurse is by far the longest. I was hoping that the nipple sensitivity will lessen over time, but maybe not? :( Ouch! All worth it though.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:28 PM

Awesome news Tantylynn!! You are a trooper continuing to nurse that much. I honestly would do the same thing but I fear that my age and my hormones, being run down and tired from co-sleeping, is what is inhibiting pregnancy for us. I feel like my DS is ready...it is more of a habit for him and a comfort thing. He can totally go all day without it if he is busy. He eats and drinks and carries on like a big boy.... Until he sees me lie down and then it is like Pavlov's dog....he is trained that snuggles and rest= nursies! Trying to see if we can break that this weekend. He is doing really well so far. The key is keeping him occupied and he doesn't even miss it.

I am 11 dpo today, took a dollar store test today while we were out. My kids were in the public restroom at the mall like "Mommy what are you DOING IN THERE!?!?" Uhhhh....3 more minutes guys. Be patient!! It was funny and a little pathetic at the same time. It was not FMU so I got a BFN. But having all the other bubbly abdomen, yellow cm, feeling very wet....thinking my period started. But nothing yet. I am taking Prometrium (progesterone) to help boost that hormone and help the LP. So not sure if that is causing the symptoms. That would be a cruel joke. But either way I am trying to be cautiously optimistic and hope for the best!

:-) baby dust, friends!!!
Old 09-20-2013, 09:43 PM

Can I join you ladies? I just got my BFP yesterday at 11dpo. I'm still nursing DD who is 19 months. I hope to nurse throughout pregnancy and then tandem nurse when LO arrives.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:55 PM

Congrats Michele!! I hope you have a happy and healthy pregnancy and nursing continues to go well! :-)
Old 09-25-2013, 07:51 AM

Thanks wengrin! Did you ever get a BFP?
Old 09-25-2013, 10:06 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Can I ask you mamas a question? Were your pregnancy symptoms when getting pregnant while nursing the same as when you got pregnant not nursing? I especially wonder if you got the same breast tenderness.

Thank you in advance!

Girl absolutely in love with boy and our DD (11/06), DS1 (08/11) and DS2 (brand new!)
Old 09-26-2013, 06:28 AM

Hi Michele! I did not get the BFP I had hoped for...I was late though and I swore I was seeing a faint line on the tests...but then I got a really heavy period. I actually wonder if it was another chemical pregnancy (I had one the month prior, but was 5 weeks so had he confirmed pregnancy test at the doctors but my betas were low and I miscarried. I weaned my DS a couple of weeks ago...just in case. He was ready...he only nursed before sleep (nap and bedtime) as a comfort. So when we did the transition he did much better than I!)

I wish I could have nursed a while longer...but approaching 40 I understand that progesterone is dropping anyway so my age was against me.

I do hope that everyone on this board has a happy and healthy 8 or so months and your nursling can continue as long as he/she wants! :-)

Mareseaoats- I wondered the same thing!! Good question....when I have gotten pregnant while not nursing the huge sore breasts was the first sign....I only have the chemical pregnancy to compare but my breasts were not swollen and sore....that could have very well been because it wasn't a viable pregnancy of course.

Good luck mamas!!
Old 09-27-2013, 02:05 PM

Mareseaoats - I always get sore breasts after I ovulate and it tapers off before AF if I'm not pregnant. That was my #1 clue I was pregnant while nursing. The soreness didn't go away. If anything, it intensified. I'm 4 weeks, 5 days and it is still very sore. To the point that sometimes I wonder if DD has taken up biting again when she latches on because it is so painful. This is just my experience and I'm early in my pregnancy so I have no idea how things will turn out.

User Tag List