Strep Throat & Esophagitis - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-03-2013, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm incredibly overwhelmed right now. I still spit up blood every day from my esophagitis and experience varying degrees of pain in my esophagus from the inflammation. DH came home from Burning Man yesterday and didn't tell me he had a sore throat but didn't mind kissing me. Then we discover today at urgent care he is positive for Strep. I am fighting the urge to feel angry with him and trying to use logic to stop stressing out. But if I get Strep, not only will I be in a different kind of pain than a normal person, but antibiotics are HORRIBLE for esophagitis and will make it worse. I am so freaked out right now. Which I am aware will not help me prevent my body from getting it, it will only make it easier.

Does anyone know if I will be able to get intravenous antibiotics to avoid extra inflammation in my esophagus from oral antibiotics??

I need some words of encouragement..... :(

#2 of 7 Old 09-04-2013, 03:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Tonsillitis is not highly contagious. It is unlikely you will catch it from your partner.

If you do get it then whether you get IVABs or not will depend on your doctor and whether s/he is willing to admit you to hospital for a week.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 7 Old 09-04-2013, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

According to mayo clinic, Strep in particular is highly contagious. :( http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/strep-throat/DS00260/DSECTION=causes 

I'm seeing my GP today so I will get an idea of what she thinks I should do.

#4 of 7 Old 09-04-2013, 07:26 PM

Streptococcus can be easily transmitted if it is in your saliva but tonsillitis doesn't usually result in high enough concentrations of bacteria to transmit in disease-causing quantities. You may get some but your immune system will usually deal with it. The incubation period is 2-4 days so, regardless of what I say, you will know in the next day or so.

If you Google you will find lots of sources saying that it is contageous but, in practice, you don't usually see everyone in the family getting it as you do with a cold or gastro, for example.

#5 of 7 Old 09-04-2013, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Okay well thank you for your input. I saw my GP today and she said some people are more resistant to Strep than others, and that since I have never tested positive for it before, hopefully I'm one of those people. I'm also hoping my 3 year old is one of those people. Feels like a time bomb is ticking in our house! We've never had to put her on antibiotics before. Crossing all my fingers for both of us...

Also, my doctor said that I could come in daily for a week to get intravenous antibiotics, but she wouldn't recommend it because they only have high doses intravenously, and that wouldn't be necessary in this case (especially while pregnant) so she said I'd have to take the pills and hope for the best.

#6 of 7 Old 09-09-2013, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to let everyone know that I did NOT end up developing full blown Strep and I am incredibly grateful and relieved!! I had pain in my tonsils for three evenings in a row but by morning I always felt better. I feel like kissing the feet of my badass immune system, even while suppressed during pregnancy. :)

#7 of 7 Old 09-09-2013, 01:57 PM

That's great :-)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page