Exercise during 1st Trimester....Kickbox & Step Class ok? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-04-2013, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone still doing their normal gym routine of classes like Kickoboxing or Step? Those are both higher cardio which I know pregnant women aren't supposed to get their heart rate above *** number and all....but I figure that if they do 10 reps of a move maybe (since I'll be more out of breathe anyway....having my blood supply increases and being more tired from the physical demands of making a human) I can just do whatever I can do that day....like maybe 5 reps. Maybe even take a break in between one rep that they all do.

It makes me sad to think that at some point I'll have to stop going to Kickbox class because I love it so much and it's so inspiring to me to stay physically active and fit but I HAVE to keep exercising this pregnancy (baby #2) because I tend to gain more lbs than I should during the first trimester (16 lbs last pregnancy) and I want to break that habit and do the opposite this time. I gained 64 lbs last time around and I really want to only gain around 40 or so because it's taking me a year and a half to lose it and I don't want to do that again!

Any advice, suggestions, tips, experiences?

Oh and don't worry....I'm planning to discuss it all with my OB and get her approval before doing Kickboxing or any other exercise routine. :love

Leanne wash.gif 34, SAHM married 15 yrs to Josh geek.gif, 37.  brokenheart.gif 8/08, brokenheart.gif 7/10, babyboy.gif born 2/18/12 and brokenheart.gif 4/14. photosmile3.gif 
#2 of 11 Old 09-04-2013, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Congratulations on your pregnancy!  Normally anything you were doing before is fine to continue.  I was told not to get heartrate above 160.  Your doctor can give you more info for sure.  Healthy exercise is great during pregnancy.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#3 of 11 Old 09-05-2013, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

The new recommendation is to forget about heart rate (because it's SO variable by person) and just focus on a pace at which you can still carry on a comfortable conversation. 

You absolutely DO NOT have to give up kickboxing (assuming it's not a contact variety).  There are tons of ways to modify the moves (lower kicks, elevated pushups, etc.) as your body changes.  A lot of the moves you do in most kickboxing classes (squats, lunges, etc) are wonderful for pregnant women and can help open the pelvis and preserve pelvic floor strength (which helps with labor and reduces incontinence after).  And I did tons of step ups throughout my pregnancy when I couldn't do jumps anymore, so step classes sound awesome.  Keep going if you can! 

I mentioned this on another post, but I found the website crossfitmom.com super helpful in figuring out what's safe and what's not and the blog http://www.sistasofstrength.com/ has wonderful pregnancy workouts that show how to work various moves into every trimester. 

pepperedmoth likes this.

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#4 of 11 Old 09-06-2013, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Working out is great for you throughout your pregnancy. That old wives tale about not getting your heart rate above "x" number has been totally discredited for decades. ACOG hasn't endorsed it since the early 90s and issued a formal retraction more than a decade ago. It drives me crazy that an ancient piece of misinformation is still making the rounds. The worst part is I'm constantly hearing doctors tell it to their patients. They should know better.

I'm continuing crossfit for as long as it feels okay, hopefully all through the pregnancy. I'll just modify as needed.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#5 of 11 Old 09-06-2013, 09:15 AM

Working out is great for you throughout your pregnancy. That old wives tale about not getting your heart rate above "x" number has been totally discredited for decades. ACOG hasn't endorsed it since the early 90s and issued a formal retraction more than a decade ago. It drives me crazy that an ancient piece of misinformation is still making the rounds. The worst part is I'm constantly hearing doctors tell it to their patients. They should know better.

I'm continuing crossfit for as long as it feels okay, hopefully all through the pregnancy. I'll just modify as needed.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#6 of 11 Old 09-13-2013, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyTiger View Post
I mentioned this on another post, but I found the website crossfitmom.com super helpful in figuring out what's safe and what's not and the blog http://www.sistasofstrength.com/ has wonderful pregnancy workouts that show how to work various moves into every trimester. 

Thanks for the link recommendations! I'm totally gonna check them out!

Leanne wash.gif 34, SAHM married 15 yrs to Josh geek.gif, 37.  brokenheart.gif 8/08, brokenheart.gif 7/10, babyboy.gif born 2/18/12 and brokenheart.gif 4/14. photosmile3.gif 
#7 of 11 Old 09-14-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyTiger View Post

You absolutely DO NOT have to give up kickboxing (assuming it's not a contact variety).  There are tons of ways to modify the moves (lower kicks, elevated pushups, etc.) as your body changes.  A lot of the moves you do in most kickboxing classes (squats, lunges, etc) are wonderful for pregnant women and can help open the pelvis and preserve pelvic floor strength (which helps with labor and reduces incontinence after).  And I did tons of step ups throughout my pregnancy when I couldn't do jumps anymore, so step classes sound awesome.  Keep going if you can! 

I totally agree.  I did Tae Bo during both of my previous pregnancies, but just modified it a bit for my comfort.  I just did the moves a little slower, maybe kicked a bit lower as my belly grew, and made sure that I stayed centered so I wouldn't lose my balance.

Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

#8 of 11 Old 09-16-2013, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

What about lifting during pregnancy? I have been body building for a few months now- like since June or so.  I really want to continue but am scared to do something to my baby.

Loving wife hug2.gif and Mama to hippie.gifBella (11), joy.gifArydona (6), guitar.gifKai (5) and Trin candle.gif born sleeping on 12/21/13 makebabe.gif ttc our next bundle of joy! ....intactlact.gif,hang.gif  homeschool.gif  
#9 of 11 Old 09-23-2013, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by granolamommie View Post

What about lifting during pregnancy? I have been body building for a few months now- like since June or so.  I really want to continue but am scared to do something to my baby.

I just saw an article and photo of a female body builder that was still lifting weights (she had the bar on her shoulders doing a squat in the photo...whatever that's called) and she was like 8 months pregnant. It was a huge amount on the bar too...like 100 lbs or something. I wish I could remember where I saw it I would post the link here. I would just google it.

#10 of 11 Old 09-23-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:

I have heard that weightlifting is fine to continue if it is something you have already been doing, but that pregnant women shouldn't start a new strenuous weight lifting program.  I'll have to dig out my Expecting Fitness book again to see, but I think you are supposed to adjust the weight to protect your softer joints.  But that's an old book now, so I don't know what they currently recommend.

Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

#11 of 11 Old 09-25-2013, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

You can absolutely continue lifting if your body is used to it.  The recommendation is to avoid heavy deadlifts or moves that require you to "bear down", placing excessive pressure on the pelvic floor.  I continued doing 70 pound deadlifts with a kettle bell throughout my pregnancy and continued doing 90 pound squats (the pic the PP referenced could have been me, funnily) until around 38 weeks when it was just too hot in August to keep doing much of anything.  My daughter was super strong and alert.  I don't know if lifting had anything to do with it, but I of course think it did.  :)

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page