HELP! How do I prevent gaining more weight during pregnancy? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 09-22-2013, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinxy View Post

You say you are intending for the rest of your pregnancy to exercise and eat in a healthy way. Why isn't that enough? The weight number that results from your efforts will be whatever the healthy pregnancy weight gain was for you. That is why I say this sounds to me like it is more about control. My pregnancy has taught me so much more than I already thought I knew about knowing when to relinquish control. You do not get to pick your final weight. So how about giving yourself permission to let go of that stress, making the those healthy choices that you describe from here on out, and letting the end result be whatever it will be?

I agree with this. In the long run it's best for you and the baby to give your best shot to taking care of your body and let the weight chips fall where they may. It's not worth stressing yourself out about whether you will or won't get the figure you want 3 months after the baby is born. You have so many more important things going on between now and then. If it is really going to bother you that much I think it would be better to push the wedding back to give yourself more time to get back in shape, or find a dress style that is forgiving of a few extra pounds. (There's a thread somewhere on here with pictures of pregnant brides in different stages of pregnancy. Might have some stylistic ideas.)

JenVose likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 48 Old 09-22-2013, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

There are no guarantees after pregnancy though. You could end up exactly the weight you started at by 2 weeks postpartum but have a completely different body. Who you were before is not who you're going to be. If its that important that you look a certain way at your wedding, postpone it another 3-6 months because its going to take some time before you get your 'final figure'. 

Burning fat during pregnancy is also a no-no because it releases ketones. Those urine tests they do at the doctors office? They test for ketones and many doctors will be quite concerned if it comes up positive. Its a little inconclusive (needs follow up) but spilling large amounts of ketones has been linked to low IQ and learning disabilities in some studies.

Sphinxy likes this.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#33 of 48 Old 09-23-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WifeofAnt View Post

There are no guarantees after pregnancy though. You could end up exactly the weight you started at by 2 weeks postpartum but have a completely different body. Who you were before is not who you're going to be.

Yes! My DW has a PhD in exercise science, and I can't count the number of times friends or coworkers have said how "great" that will be for me when I want to "get my body back." It really makes me want to scream, "Um, it's my body now! And whatever it looks like after birth, it will still be my body!" I got pregnant knowing that things would change in my life and my body. And now that I'm almost at 38 weeks gestation and I've felt all the shifts in my bones and organs, the idea that things would just magically go right back where the used to be just sounds absurd. Things will change, things are supposed to change, so I find it easier to just accept that and see what happens.
Katie8681 likes this.

My wife (30) and I (32) have been legally married since 2006. We are proud queer mamas to baby W, born 10/10/2013.
#34 of 48 Old 09-23-2013, 11:26 AM

I'm hearing you on being afraid to gain too much weight, as I am only 4 weeks 1 day along and the past few days all I want to do is eat! I feel like I've gained 10 lbs already, okay I haven't, but if I continue much longer like this then I'm scared how big I might get. And being over weight is probably pretty bad for the baby and pregnancy like being under weight is bad.

I just want to gain an appropriate amount and for it to be a gradual thing, not all quickly like right now eating everything whenever I want. I'm sure it's made me feel sick today eating too much. My plan is cut down on sugary foods and carbohydrates I think, and try to choose protein like eggs when I'm hungry for a snack instead of bread or cookies etc. It didn't work today though, so I'll try again tomorrow!!

Good luck to you!

rainbow1284.gifpos.gifsticky.gif yikes.gif 
#35 of 48 Old 09-23-2013, 11:56 AM

Winter2013 - everyone is different but I would say it is unlikely that you would continue with the same appetite throughout your pregnancy. Big things are happening in your body right now, like building a brain and other viral organs, and it all takes energy! Babies have growth spurts in utero just like they do after birth, and you might be in one now. My weight gain was not gradual so much as it was spurts - some appts I would register no gain (or very little) and others I would have a big jump. The practitioners were never surprised or concerned so I just went with it. I think you are right on with your protien-based snacks plan - if you get "morning" sickness you might find yourself back in carbo-land, but whenever you can stomach it protien will probably fill you up and sustain you longer. Good luck!!!
JenVose likes this.

My wife (30) and I (32) have been legally married since 2006. We are proud queer mamas to baby W, born 10/10/2013.
#36 of 48 Old 09-23-2013, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Up until 7-8 weeks I was eating like if never eaten before in my life. I mean my mouth was a black hole. Then, I threw up a few times daily for the rest of the first trimester and much of the second! Ended up gaining 25lb total. I agree, weight gain in pregnancy is not usually regular.

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

#37 of 48 Old 09-24-2013, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinxy View Post

Winter2013 - everyone is different but I would say it is unlikely that you would continue with the same appetite throughout your pregnancy. Big things are happening in your body right now, like building a brain and other viral organs, and it all takes energy! Babies have growth spurts in utero just like they do after birth, and you might be in one now. My weight gain was not gradual so much as it was spurts - some appts I would register no gain (or very little) and others I would have a big jump. The practitioners were never surprised or concerned so I just went with it. I think you are right on with your protien-based snacks plan - if you get "morning" sickness you might find yourself back in carbo-land, but whenever you can stomach it protien will probably fill you up and sustain you longer. Good luck!!!

I completely agree!! I am in the third trimester with baby number 2 and the pregnancies were completely different.

With my first pregnancy, I gained about 10 pounds in the first trimester. I was hungry and I kept morning sickness at bay by eating simple carbs. Things slowed down after that but definitely picked up to 1/2-1 pound per week by the end of second trimester. Overall I believe I gained 40-45 pounds with that pregnancy. I lost the first 30 within a week of delivery, with exclusive breastfeeding, and the remaining 10-15 before I returned to work at 12 weeks (without any specific effort). That said, my body was completely different, especially during the three years I nursed. While the scale indicated the same weight, my clothing size and what I looked like were not the same. And not bad, either. Just different.

I am now 34 weeks with number 2 and have only gained 16 pounds so far. shrug.gif I am eating when I am hungry and expect to gain another 5-10 pounds before delivery. Your body knows how to do this. While it is easier said than done, try not to freak out and worry about the numbers. Try to go by how you feel. All this talk about food and weight has me hungry now!!

Off to make myself a snack :lurk

Sphinxy likes this.

Mama to Little Bean and Baby Bean partner to My Love and loving caretaker to cat.gif dog2.gif and chicken3.gif 

I am a treehugger.gif Mama whocd.gif femalesling.GIFwinner.jpgfamilybed1.gif

#38 of 48 Old 09-25-2013, 12:53 AM

OP, two things stand out in your post: one, there is a lot of focus on numbers and how many pounds you're gaining, which is probably what alarmed a lot of people. Two, and this might be blunt, you have very high expectations for the first 3 months after birth. Now, I've known a couple of angel babies that slept and ate so well from the get-go so you might be lucky. But for most new mothers, they'll be up to your head in diapers, feeding and putting a tiny baby to sleep.   I actually enjoyed the postpartum phase but it is such a huge transformation that in all likely hood, body shape will drop way down the priority list.  Babies also shake relationships to the core once they arrive. The arrival of a baby really rocks the relationship boat, mostly because of too many new changes with some sleep deprivation thrown in.  If at all possible, I'd delay the wedding until the baby is around 6-9 months, they're generally sweet and cooperative at that point, more likely  to say with other people, still not too mobile and "generally" better sleepers. 

If you're unsure about which workout regime to do, I'd second whoever said lots of low-level cardio (like slow long walks, taking the stairs) and strength training (try the Perfect-Pregnancy Workout, she uses a lot of body-weight exercises and she's 8 months pregnant while doing them!)

All that said, this pregnancy I've gained 30 pounds so far (which would have freaked me out the first time around) and I am not worried at all anymore. Like the others said, if you're following your body's rhythm with good habits, it'll know what to do. This time around, DP and I are discussing tactics to keep our relationship healthy once the new baby arrives. The weight I know will come off eventually.

Mama to my little Lily luxlove.gif (09/2010), and a sweet baby boy joy.gif (12/2012)

#39 of 48 Old 09-26-2013, 07:40 AM

Winter2013 - For someone who feels like they are eating all the time, this is about the only time I'd tell you to watch the scale - only because it may not be rising nearly as rapidly as you think. With #1 I could barely eat, felt like I kept nothing down, and still gained around 35 pounds (much of it in the first half of pregnancy). With #2 I feel like I eat enough most days to feed myself and a teenage boy, and the scale has barely been creeping up. I've gained well under 10 pounds in the first half of my pregnancy with noticeable "loss" in other areas of my body and a growing bump. If your hunger is what your body needs, it will be used ... and if it's not, it won't, even if you're eating less. I have managed this pregnancy by watching the scales and since they're not rising drastically, then I don't worry about "eating too much"! I expect a gain of around 20 pounds or so during this pregnancy with current trends, possibly less.

Also, bear in mind that as the baby grows, it will put a serious cramp on your stomach and it may be impossible (or at least seem that way) to eat enough. Just something to think about the early weight gain - it may be our body's way of preparing for later.

#40 of 48 Old 09-26-2013, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sometimes it's the larger women who gain the least, because their metabolism goes up with the pregnancy and they gain pregnancy-related weight but lose other weight. If you don't have extra weight to lose, your body might very well be putting on what it needs. I'd be hesitant to be too careful about this. Eat well, continue to exercise reasonably (don't overdo it), and you should be fine. You'll put on weight but it sounds like you have a body type that will take it off very quickly after the birth. Just concentrate on your health and the baby's health.
#41 of 48 Old 09-26-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenVose View Post

Also, bear in mind that as the baby grows, it will put a serious cramp on your stomach and it may be impossible (or at least seem that way) to eat enough. Just something to think about the early weight gain - it may be our body's way of preparing for later.

I'm not sure if this is what JenVose was getting at, and I will try to avoid being too graphic, but I will say that right around 36 weeks the downward trend in baby's position made it essentially impossible for my body to digest my food as thoroughly as before. Not just cramping the stomach but obstructing the whole digestive tract at times, and the results when I go to the bathroom are undeniable. (The midwife says this is totally normal for where I'm at.) So I KNOW I am eating more but the pace of weight gain (or lack there of) has not changed. The amount of nutrients we are extracting from our food has gone down, so the volume of food has to go up to compensate.

#42 of 48 Old 09-26-2013, 11:53 AM

Sphinxy - Yes, the digestive issues, in part, as well as the fact that with the baby taking up so much space in the abdomen it essentially reduces the amount of room for your stomach, so it's a little like having a gastric bypass, not to mention that if baby is head down, as we hope for in the final stretch, there's no telling when a meal might be punctuated by a direct kick to the stomach. DD wasn't much of a kicker, but I do recall meals in those final days where I could feel her feet right around my stomach and just didn't trust the food to stay down. I've talked to other moms and heard their horror stories about throwing up out of the blue when a hard, swift kick came at just the wrong time and in the wrong place, and with this little one's current activity levels, I know that's probably in store for at least the last month or so of this pregnancy.

#43 of 48 Old 09-27-2013, 12:20 PM

Just wanted to chime in with my personal experience - I had my first baby in April and prior to the pregnancy was also very slim/petite (5'4 and 19.0 BMI). My weight gain was within the normal range.

Despite taking the recommended prenatal vitamins and having a mostly whole foods diet, my daughter was born with a minor birth defect that is thought to be related to nutrient deficiencies during pregnancy. Concern over my personal appearance became a very trivial issue once I was faced with a health problem in my baby. I have spent many days racked with guilt and regret wondering if my diet was the cause of her problems. I really wish I had focused more on nutrition while I was pregnant. Thankfully, her problem was corrected with surgery and she is doing very well now. I now see a nutritionist who specializes in traditional foods, to ensure that I am receiving the proper nutrients needed for nursing.

I agree with the majority of posters here that the best approach is to focus on high quality nutrient-dense foods and try not to stress about weight. The baby's health is the most important thing. I got back to my pre-pregnancy weight by 4 months and I think nursing and a whole foods diet were the biggest factors in the weight loss.
#44 of 48 Old 09-27-2013, 04:42 PM

Here's my best response for this:
I have three children, and I'm on my fourth pregnancy.  I have gained the most weight in the pregnancy that I started at the lowest weight and was the healthiest in.
My first two pregnancies, I had extra weight to begin with, and didn't make much effort to be fit or healthy at all. I only gained 12 with the first and 17 with the second.

With my third, I started very fit and healthy, continued to work out (running, training with a personal trainer, stairmaster, spin class..) and ate much, much healthier than before... and I gained 40 lbs.

I think many of the women are spot on here when they tell you that your body will sort of 'take over'. If you need the extra weight, your body will find ways to store it.  So you may find yourself ending up needing to go to extremes in order to keep your weight gain as low as you want to, and that's where you could fall into a dangerous trap.

I'd say, get a calorie and exercise recommendation from your doc, and follow it.  If you gain more than you wanted to while following those guidelines, then so be it.  Your body clearly needed it.  If those guidelines keep you at the range you're hoping for, then fantastic.  Either way, if you're maintaining healthy and active habits, you won't have a hard time getting it off.

mamazee and Tiffa like this.
#45 of 48 Old 09-29-2013, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieP View Post

My first two pregnancies, I had extra weight to begin with, and didn't make much effort to be fit or healthy at all. I only gained 12 with the first and 17 with the second.

I am starting this pregnancy overweight and that's the main reason I don't want to gain much during the pregnancy. I think it's likely to lose the fatty weight and it be replaced with 'baby' weight, so I'm hoping that happens to me.

It's been hard this past week because I have felt very hungry and don't deprive myself when I am, I just try to make healthier choices of the food I am eating. I weighed myself and have gained 1lb in a week, which is okay considering I have had increased appetite.

rainbow1284.gifpos.gifsticky.gif yikes.gif 
#46 of 48 Old 09-30-2013, 02:24 AM

I'd like to echo again what the others have mentioned that the actual weight you gain does not necessarily indicate how fast you'll lose it afterwards. I have a friend of mine, we're the same age and pretty healthy, but she's quite skinny (bordering on underweight).  Whereas I gained 30 pounds, she gained more than 40 (that honestly did not show much) and it took me longer - around 6 months - to go back to my pre-pregnancy weight (and shape), which she was back to her original weight within a month - without even trying!

Mama to my little Lily luxlove.gif (09/2010), and a sweet baby boy joy.gif (12/2012)

#47 of 48 Old 09-30-2013, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I am a little taller, 5'6", and weighed 105LBS pre-pregnancy. I now weigh 130 at 8 months pregnant. So that's 25 pounds and I still have a month and a half to go. But I LOOK TINY!> I have gained a little weight on my thighs, but mostly it is pretty much all baby and maybe a little boob. People can't believe I am due so soon because I look so small. And in the right hoodie I still don't even look pregnant.

You gain a lot of weight in pregnancy that isn't even fat. You've got the baby, the placenta, the amniotic fluid, increase in blood volume, etc. Trust me, you'll be fine. I even made a goal at the beginning of the pregnancy to put on a little fluff, so that when my belly started growing it would be a little more comfortable, and help with stretching. So far no stretch marks on the belly (I do have some on butt and boobs, darn it).

I would also like to point out that that baby is going to take whatever nutrients it needs, one way or the other. This means if you aren't getting enough nutrition then he/she will take it directly from your body. Meaning you will be left in much poorer health after baby has stolen all your nutrient stores. Don't worry about weight. Just try to be healthy.

#48 of 48 Old 10-05-2013, 10:32 PM

I do not see the point in weighing yourself during pregnancy at all.  Eat healthy foods with protein and fresh fruits and veggies- I eat three meals and two snacks- and have treats sometimes too.  You will gain whatever your body needs to grow and sustain a healthy pregnancy and postpartum time for you and baby.  

I have gained between 18 and 35 pounds depending on the baby.  But I'll add that during pregnancy and right after the baby is born and maybe for the first week after I look rather thin for me, more than I do a month or two after the birth.  I seem to put on more weight then as I'm nursing healthy sized babies and my body needs to have some extra fat during that time.  Since you are small to begin with, your body may need some extra while you are nursing, which is healthy.  Keep in mind that you may be softer and more womanly looking/curvy than you are used to looking, and if that's the case I hope you can see the beauty in that : )

Blessings on your pregnancy.

Tiffa likes this.

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

Tags
Pregnancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page