Folic Acid relevant after conception? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-09-2013, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Maybe I heard this wrong before but I thought folic acid was important before conception and less important during pregnancy. I am 8.5 weeks pregnant nd my doctor wants me to take 4 mg/day. I have had a baby with a neural tube defect but I was surprised he would want me to start that much now? I was taking a good prenatal when I got pregnant and have been taking them when I can between nausea since.

Im pretty sure they have 800 mcg/dose.

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 10-09-2013, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
There was a study in Norway with findings regarding autism and maternal folic acid consumption during pregnancy. Perhaps that was his reasoning...just a thought. Maybe he suggests that to all of his patients.
#3 of 8 Old 10-09-2013, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I've read that folic acid continues to be very important during the first 3 months of pregnancy as that is when all the important organs are developing. Studies have shown that women who only start the folic acid after they find out they are pregnant still have a reduced risk of those defects, though its not reduced as much as when they take it before conception.

Me (32), married to DH (35)

3 years of TTC #1, M/C @ 6wks in May 2013 angel1.gif
Mom to Liliana born May 8 2014 bfinfant.gif
mdcblog5.gif www.babythehardway.com

#4 of 8 Old 10-13-2013, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Folic Acid is important through the first trimester.  I have had some losses and am on 4,000 mcg as well.

#5 of 8 Old 10-14-2013, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

If you have a family history of NTD you should be tested for MTHFR mutations. Its a relatively new discovery but it completely explains why folic acid doesn't work for some people. People with a MTHFR mutation can't break it down and use it very well. They use folate just as well as anyone else but it isn't found in most supplements because its cheaper and easier to add in folic acid. A lot of good folic acid does the 17% of Americans who can't use it!

http://blog.23andme.com/23andme-research/snpwatch/pregnancy-and-mthfr/

https://www.counsyl.com/diseases/mthfr-deficiency/

http://mthfr.net/prenatal-supplementation-optimizing-your-future-child/2012/01/20/

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#6 of 8 Old 10-14-2013, 02:12 PM

The reason for taking folic acid before conception is typically that a lot of pregnancies are unplanned and if you start taking it after you realize you're pregnant, it might be too late for it to have a benefit. It is still important up until the fetal neural tube is formed... and can't hurt after that. 

#7 of 8 Old 10-15-2013, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks for responses!

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

#8 of 8 Old 10-16-2013, 12:54 PM

The 4mg dose is standard for women who have a history of a neural tube defect. WifeofAnt--that's super interesting about MTHFR, I never knew that!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page