Anxiety, depression, and terrifying panic attack - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-14-2013, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey mamas,
I was on the lowest dose of lexapro before I got pregnant and it was a complete life saver. I weaned off during the first trimester and was hanging in there, but the past month has been stressful at home, and now, at 17 weeks, I'm looking for a new midwife when I thought I finally figured out my home birth plan, and everything is piling up on me.

Last night I woke up to pee and was dealing with what I thought was my normal insomnia, but it spiraled into racing mind and heart, and escalated into the scariest panic attack I've ever had. I'm still crying about it this morning (prob doesn't help that I've been awake since 3:30).

I eat well and take a prenatal as well as fish oil and vitamin c. I'm open to more supplements or diet changes. But am also feeling like the sooner I can manage this, the better I will be able to meet my needs and those of my family. I'm a total wreck right now.

I've left messages for my therapist and psych, but wanted to know if anyone else has decided that the effects of illness are more dangerous than the risk of medication? I am struggling with the decision but I know I cannot have another night like that. I was terrified in a way I never have been before.

Thanks for your support, wise mamas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2013, 02:15 PM

My sister made that decision.  She was on Wellbutrin the second and third trimesters in her pregnancy and now has a beautiful little boy.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I had anxiety attacks during my pregnancy with my son, but I never had to take medication (I sort of just dealt with them, and they weren't severe enough to call them full on panic attacks).  Have you tried Bach's Rescue Remedy drops or gum?  I liked the gum, because the chewing motion alone seemed to calm me down.

Also maybe therapy could help you avoid meds if that's what you're looking to do?  I was in therapy during the entire pregnancy and it was a lifesaver, most of my anxiety stemmed from ongoing issues I was having with my extended family at the time.

belly.gifSAHM to hearts.gifDD (5) and jog.gifDS (3).  Happily married to my high school sweetheart hug.gif
Old 10-17-2013, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your comments, ladies smile.gif. I am doing a whole lot better four days later.

I do have a therapist, who I have been seeing for about five years. She and I talked a lot on the phone the day after my panic attack. It was really helpful.

And after speaking with my doctor I did decide it would be best for me to go back on medication. At 17 weeks, I'm feeling good about having stayed off for the first trimester, and recognize that the stress hormones reaching the baby are creating their own risks for baby health and development.

I have been trying rescue remedy as well as aromatherapy and exercise to cope with anxiety, but I think I just crossed the line into territory that could be dangerous if I kept going. So I'm comfortable with the decision, and feeling a whole lot less upset already. AND sleeping better, which is making a huge difference.

User Tag List