Natural headache remedies - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-25-2013, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've had migraines most of my life and unfortunately have to rely on prescription medication when I get one. Since I've been pregnant, I'm almost 11 weeks, they have reduced a little, but I've still been getting them. I of course can't take my prescription and my OB said it's okay to take Tylenol (up to 4,000mg a day) which I don't want to do if I can avoid it. I've taken it occasionally when it got really bad and natural remedies didn't work, but I really hate taking it at all. I've tried peppermint and lavender essential oils on my temples and neck, ice packs, heat, tumeric, etc., but haven't found anything very effective.

If anyone has recommendations, I would greatly appreciate to hear them. Thank you in advance :) 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2013, 11:23 PM

Not something to take but my son who had a migraine almost every day in June has had fabulous luck with chiropractic care. He has only had one full blown and it was the week after he started going a dd one that he thought was going to start but didn't. And I will be the first to admit I was skeptical...
Old 10-28-2013, 11:27 AM

The only thing that has worked for me is drinking a lot of water (hydration helps with headaches) and i use one of those bean bag things you heat up and put it on my head, neck or over my eyes.  Usually helps me.  Have you tried going to a chiropractor?

Old 11-04-2013, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Caffeine helps me.  So far in this pregnancy (I'm 14 weeks) my stomach won't tolerate coffee in the first few hours I'm awake, but later I can have 1/2 to 1 cup at a time.  It's like magic when I get a headache or especially if I'm able to drink it when I feel like I'm just STARTING to get a headache.

Chiropractic adjustment helps me, too, when I feel any tension in my neck, shoulders, or back.  Seek out a chiropractor who is experienced in treating pregnant women and has a special table for it.

Massage may help, too, either professional or just taking 15 minutes to lie down and relax and have your loved one rub you gently.

Medical marijuana is legal in California, so you might want to look into the research on marijuana in pregnancy and see if it helps you--unless you already know that it doesn't help your headaches, the smell makes you nauseous, it always makes you paranoid, or some other problem.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

Old 11-04-2013, 03:40 PM

I will second chiropractic care and hydration, as those always helped me. I know you have tried some EOs, but i would also recommend eucalyptus. For me the key was always catching it early and doing something about it right away. 

also, making sure i was getting enough sleep (when possible) seemed to help.

good luck mama.

User Tag List