Depression caused by pregnancy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-30-2013, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel weird even writing this- I know this should be a time of excitement and joy, but I feel like I'm sinking. I'm 7 weeks pregnant, with what will be my second child (I've also had three miscarriages.) I have intense nausea all day and night, along with fatigue, which I know is contributing to my feelings of depression- but beyond that, I just feel so low and desperate. I'm doubting whether I can do this, whether I even want another child- just feeling like I'm going down with the ship and I don't know how to stay afloat for those who need me (mainly DS, who's three.) I cry on and off all day, and just feel completely overwhelmed by daily tasks. I haven't told anyone other than DH and family that I'm pregnant, because i can't muster any joy or excitement- all I want to do is cry when I think about it. I'm taking prenatal vitamins and am doing everything I can think of to help the nausea- I've never suffered from depression before, but that's the best way I can describe how I'm feeling.

I don't know what I'm looking for really- advice? Commiseration? I'm just so scared that I'm not going to make it through this-it feels like the hopelessness and despair are just going to crush me....

~may all beings be free from suffering~
#2 of 4 Old 10-30-2013, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Do you have any resources at home that you can lean on?  A church or community-based counseling service for example?  It sounds like you really really need support, and maybe talking to your DH (if you think he'll be supportive) can get you motivated to reach out to someone for help.  If you can afford it, getting help with your son during the day or even for just a few hours a week can help you move through some of the difficulties of being pregnant with a toddler. 

What you're describing though sounds very normal to me, though perhaps somewhat more extreme.  But I had a few weeks (or maybe longer) in the first trimester when I was seriously overwhelmed with what we had done even though we had actively tried to get pregnant and were in the "perfect" place to have a baby.  I was depressed and anxious and sick all rolled into one.  It got so much better by the 2nd trimester that I attributed it mostly to hormones.  But that doesn't make the feelings any less real.  I hope you can find some peace soon.  

(And on the nausea thing: I've heard people have a lot of success with B vitamins and some have had great success on high protein diets.  Does your doctor have anything to recommend?   And finally, I had to switch to a prenatal without iron the thought of even taking my prenatal made me wretch.  The iron was making me so nauseous.  So playing around with prenatals can really help)

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#3 of 4 Old 10-30-2013, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks LilyTiger for your kind reply. I'm doing my best to take things one day at a time, or one hour at a time when it's really bad. I know intellectually that hormones are causing these feelings, but it's hard to recognize that when they're so overpowering. DH is leaving the country for three weeks tomorrow- so I'm going to be single handedly running our business and caring for DS while he's gone. It's scary to imagine, considering I have a hard time even doing a load of laundry these days. I know that we'll be fine and that eventually I won't feel horrible and life will get back to normal...but there are times when I'm so low I can't really recognize that. I'm going to make an appt with my doctor to make sure everything's ok- hoping that will help lift my spirits. Thanks again for responding LilyTiger.

~may all beings be free from suffering~
#4 of 4 Old 10-30-2013, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Please get help if you feel like you need it. What we call postpartum depression can also occur prenatally.

Postpartum Support International has information on their website (and a number you can call):

http://postpartum.net/Get-the-Facts/Depression-During-Pregnancy-Postpartum.aspx

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page