Low amniotic fluid - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 10-31-2013, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There is a medical term for having less than normal amount of water, right? Is there any way to make more? What risks are there during birth? Is this caused specifically by something? I know I can research on the net myself, but I thoroughly enjoy mothering's responses!! Is there reason to go to the hospital or is it still safe enough to stay home?
#2 of 2 Old 10-31-2013, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's called oligohydramnios if your fluid measures less than 5 centimeters. From my understanding lowish fluids are fairly common in the last few weeks of pregnancy, and may not be too big of a deal. These are fluid levels below 10 but above 5. True oligohydramnios is extremely serious, however, as it can indicate that your baby has a kidney problem or that your placenta is failing. A woman with oligohydramnios should not have a homebirth, and should be under the care of a perinatalogist.
If you have slightly low fluids, I suggest long baths everyday and drinking a ton of water. Also rest as much as possible.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page