NTD - Neural Tube Defect - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-01-2013, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 17 week pregnant Fiance just got a call from the doctor saying that the blood test came back positive for NTD. I quizzed her with questions about any other information she knew, but she was at work and could only take in so much information without being overwhelmed. My next move was to research as much as I could about NTD and the test. Throughout my research I have become very confused about what to think and understand about what to expect. Some sites seemed like the chances for a false positive were slim, others made it sound common. It also seems that there are different types of tests? Quad, Tri, MSAFP, Marker screening.... I'm not sure if it is the test that gives the odds for a false screening or what? The worst part is we can't get an appointment for an ultrasound for two and a half weeks. I looked up Spina Bifida on google images and my heart dropped. Anencephaly seems is certain death. If anyone has any information about this situation, it would be greatly appreciative. My fiance wants to put it out of her thoughts, which might be the best thing. However, I need to know what's going on.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2013, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

:Hug I hope someone with experience can help answer your questions soon. The only advice I can really offer is calling the ultrasound place and begging for an earlier appointment. I did that when we were waiting for answers about potentially fatal birth defects with my son (everything turned 100% healthy for him. He had extra amniotic fluid, which was the concern.) and they got me in a little less than a week earlier at 6am. I can't believe they expect people to wait so long for such important news.

Girl absolutely in love with boy and our DD (11/06), DS1 (08/11) and DS2 (brand new!)
Old 11-03-2013, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

This thread might have info for you: http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1027170/devastated-positive-neural-tube-defect-test-update-page-2

Girl absolutely in love with boy and our DD (11/06), DS1 (08/11) and DS2 (brand new!)

User Tag List