Herbal ears drops and pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-10-2013, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Today I woke up with, what I'm sure is an ear infection. I had some herbal ears drops that a naturopath gave me last year. So, I started taking them today. Then it dawned on me, I have no idea what is in the drops and if they could have any adverse on the baby. They filled a small bottle for me that does not have the ingredients. It seem so silly to ask, but can a couple of drops in the ear make it to the baby (I'm 23 weeks)?

The office is closed for veteran's day tomorrow otherwise I'd call. Thanks!

Proud mom of Dylan born 10/10/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2013, 06:56 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

I don't think there's any way a small amount of topical drops could get to the baby.  Ear drops generally don't even make it through the ear drum unless it's ruptured, and herbal drops in particular are unlikely to have anything in them that would absorb into the bloodstream (and even if they did it would be a tiny amount).  I wouldn't worry at all. 

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

It seems unlikely they would get far enough into your system or that you used enough of it to affect the baby.

Not sure what your drops would have but generally it is mullein flower and garlic and they are safe for small children, so I wouldn't be overly concerned about it.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you guys. I didn't think twice about it at the beginning and when I was reading about ear infections, it kinda dawned on me. My ear is killing me this morning so I'll continue using the drops. Thank you!

Proud mom of Dylan born 10/10/09

User Tag List