Fluconozale in 3rd trimester for yeast infection? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-12-2013, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So my midwife prescribed me this class c medication.. I completely trust her judgement but not gonna lie, googling fluconozale has scared the crap out of me. Looks like it can cause birth defects (primarily if taken in large doses in the 1st trimester)... I know that right now my recurring yeast infection is bad for me and the baby but i dont want to risk any harm to baby! I am 32 weeks pregnant and had 2 miscarriages prior to this pregnancy and so it really makes me paranoid to do anything that could harm the baby!

Has anyone taken this medication in the 3rd trimester? Was ur baby ok?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2013, 10:46 AM

I would let her know you are scared of taking it and ask her if she has any alternative ideas.  Monistat, Gyne-lotrimin, or Yeast Arrest (boric acid suppositories) are all safe in pregnancy.  

Old 11-15-2013, 04:49 AM

I get a lot of yeast infections, and I was told that although it's fairly safe in pregnancy (I never checked that because it wasn't prescribed) it is not effective. I was told that it just doesn't work.

If you're confident in your provider, and they think it's safe, necessary, and will work, I would go for it, and I wouldn't worry very much in the last trimester. Almost all Developement is done, and baby is mainly just getting bigger now.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:58 AM

I may be late in putting in my two cents here but I'll try anyway. Yeast infections are a fungal overgrowth and there are sooo many natural remedies for that. Have you tried googling at all? To name a few off the top of my head-coconut oil, raw honey, garlic, yogurt or kefir but only unsweetened, unflavored...I can't think of anymore at the moment. Kinda tired right now, but my current favorite is probiotic pills. Just shove one or two up there every night for a couple weeks. Works wonders

User Tag List