Group B Strep in Urine at 16 weeks - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-13-2013, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My midwife called about a week or so ago and told me I had group B strep in my urine.  I believe I tested positive for my DD but for the swab towards the end of pregnancy.  I've been prescribed a category B antibiotic (not a penicillin because I'm allergic) because I think she wants to get rid of it so I don't have IVs if I don't want them for labor.  I've never taken anything while pregnant and told her I was hesitant about it.  When I looked the medicine up it hadn't been studied enough so there was still some concern about it.  Oh - I also came down with the stomach flu probably 8-12 hours before I peed at the OB/midwife's office so I'm wondering if that would have something to do with it if my immune system was already being taxed.  I know the two are unrelated but I sometimes think some things in our bodies affect other things too.  I haven't taken the meds yet and go back next week for my 20 week visit and I believe they will test again.  Any thoughts, opinions, or advice?  I really don't want to take anything since so many things are "thought to be safe" and then years later you see TV commercials about some drugs that created more problems than first anticipated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2013, 06:30 PM

Just had my baby and I was GBS pos the whole time (cultured in urine). We tried a couple rounds of abx and it didn't go away. Midwife says when it is in urine, it means you are Frey heavily colonized. Many more risk factors then just showing up in the swab. There are a number of natural things you can do to help, in my case, none of them lowered the counts, at wll. Things like garlic, cranberry, echinacea, vit c and. bioflavonoid supplements, etc.

We ended up doing one round of oral abx at 38 weeks and then the abx in labor. While I don't like using abx and never usually do, I had no problem doing it to lower risks for my baby. I also did huge quantities of probiotics before and after baby was born.

Wife to my Denali-climbing DH
Mom to DD born Jan. 08 and DS born Oct. 09, and "baby sister" due Oct 2013!
House mom to ten boys, ages 8-11 at a group home! Yes, I must be nuts!
Old 11-14-2013, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

Ok thanks. Any links or websites about group b risk to baby now? I couldn't find anything when I looked.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

GBS is very very common, something like 1/3 of women carry it, there's basically no risk to baby until the waters have broken.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:16 AM

Be honest with your midwife though and make sure she knows you have not taken the antibiotic yet.

http://americanpregnancy.org/pregnancycomplications/groupbstrepinfection.html

This site had a lot of info.  One thing it says is that even if you take the antibiotics earlier in pregnancy, it does not get rid of the group b completely and you still need antibiotics in labor. This surprised me.

I used to work as a nurse in a nursery/nicu.  We took care of several babies whose mothers were group b positive but for some reason or another did not get the antibiotics.  One baby in particular was on IV antibiotics for 3 weeks.  The baby ended up fine but I felt so bad for the mother.  She missed out on almost the whole first month with her baby. 

Old 11-14-2013, 09:57 AM

I will look and get the information my midwife emailed- found it- if you PM me an email address, I can send you the links my midwife sent me.  And yes, the risk to the baby isn't until your water is broken BUT when it's in your urine (and then often causes a urinary tract infection), then there are some slight risks of pre-term contractions, etc.  It's not a huge big deal, my midwife just was good about asking me about those kind of warning signs (which I had none).  

Wife to my Denali-climbing DH
Mom to DD born Jan. 08 and DS born Oct. 09, and "baby sister" due Oct 2013!
House mom to ten boys, ages 8-11 at a group home! Yes, I must be nuts!
Old 11-14-2013, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks gals! I PMed my email.

User Tag List