So what is the real scoop on caffeine? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-29-2013, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Not just the so-and-so's talking points but like how much is really too much and what happens if you were to drink too much? I am not looking to push the limits of safety, more just curious.

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

#2 of 10 Old 11-29-2013, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know your question is more serious than this, but I just keep thinking about too much caffeine in one day feeling like this: :energy 

But anyway, I think it's a miscarriage risk in the first trimester at more than 400mg a day (about 100mg in a normal 8oz coffee). After that, the only thing I've seen is that babies are born stimulated if you had coffee recently. 

I skipped it until 20 wks, then no more than one a day. Sometimes none for days. 

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#3 of 10 Old 11-29-2013, 07:03 PM

For me, while pregnant, when I have more than one cup it runs my heart rate sky high - like 150 and up.  So I am not drinking coffee at all right now.  Tea and hot chocolate is the extent for me!

#4 of 10 Old 11-30-2013, 05:33 AM

I think it's only a risk in excessive amounts, and mostly in the first trimester.

I was a crazy coffee drinker (about 2-3 double shot lattes a day) before I found out was pregnant, and went cold turkey once I fell pregnant, and since about 20ish weeks I started having a coffee every week or so, just because I miss the taste! It doesn't do anything for me really now though!

Charlotte Savannah Rose born July 2010   

Annabelle Maree born March 2014

Will be baby wearing!  
#5 of 10 Old 11-30-2013, 06:23 AM

I just stay away from caffeine. prior to getting pregnant i would drink apx 2 cups of coffee a day. it took a good couple weeks for my body to adjust to the NO caffeine reutine :) hope that helps. I do know its safe to drink apx 1 cup of coffee or caffeinated drink  per day.

#6 of 10 Old 11-30-2013, 06:49 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

My friend's high-risk OB says not to drink more than 4 cups of coffee a day.  Caffeine is really a pretty minor risk.  I avoided it completely in the first trimester of my first pregnancy, but now I have a toddler and first trimester insomnia and a full time job, so I drink coffee or tea depending on the day.  If you read the new guidelines, the no more than 4 cups of coffee a day is what all the research supports.  Since most of us are 1-2 cup a day drinkers, there's no risk.

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#7 of 10 Old 11-30-2013, 07:57 AM

I seem to recall that excessive caffeine intake was also linked to low birth weight, but you'd have to research that as I'm not positive if the source was reliable or not.

Personally I go with one cup of coffee or black tea per day during pregnancy. I know that the risk of miscarriage is higher with caffeine consumption and coincidentally I couldn't stomach coffee during the first trimester as it really upset my stomach.

#8 of 10 Old 11-30-2013, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I can never stomach coffee in the first 10 weeks or so either. I think my intake is in the higher end of safe. Thanks for the responses. It just kinda always bugs me when doctors or advocacy groups tell something is bad for you or your baby but then don't tell you the reasons or are just really vague.

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

#9 of 10 Old 12-06-2013, 08:55 AM

yeah, i skip it in the first tri out of paranoia really...i'm drinking one cup a day, i have noticed my uterus gets really irritable if have more than two cups of coffee and am doing anything at all. so I have no more than one cup on work days and two cups on days that i know i'm not really doing anything physical and want a very special treat.

#10 of 10 Old 12-18-2013, 11:56 PM

Great book that covers this and other myths backed by data! Emily Oster - Expecting Better. I was too sick for almost 6 months to drink coffee but then was able to more. I didn't go over 1 cup per day though and now at 36 weeks am weening off again to relax things for birth. This country is too fearful for many things which is why I love that book - it talks about these things with actual studies done to back it up. 

Oddly enough, a half or 3/4 cup of coffee for me would actually help with the morning sickness from month 6-7.5 (yep, sick the whole time so far). 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page