weight gain question... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-13-2013, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
cww

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm starting to get a little bit worried about weight gain (not because I actually think there is any real issue, but because the birth center kicks you out if you gain over 40 lbs).  

I am 6'2" and normally around 155lbs, which is at the bottom of the "normal" BMI index.  With my last pregnancy, I can't really remember details about weight gain, but I do remember having one period in the early third trimester where I suddenly put on much more weight.  With that pregnancy I never quite reached the 40 pound limit (and was able to birth in the birth center luckily), but I was getting close to it.  

This time around, I gained nothing for the first trimester, and then suddenly started gaining 3 pounds per week for a month, then that rate has been slowing gradually, but the last time I was checked at 28 weeks I had still been gaining at just under 2 pounds per week for the prior month.  I did have giardia for the whole first trimester, so that may have kept me from gaining early on, and so maybe my swift gain in the 2nd trimester was just catching up for that.  Basically, if I gain no more than a pound per week from here on out, I will be fine.  But given the swift rates of gain these last few months, I'm worried I might gain more than that.  (Since I didn't gain more than a pound per week around this time with my last pregnancy, I'm hoping that the same thing will happen this time around, but since my weight gain in the second trimester has been swifter with this pregnancy, I'm not sure how predictive pregnancy number 1 is...)

(I'm not actually worried health-wise, as I think this 40 pound limit is ridiculous for someone who is 6'2" and was very skinny to begin with, especially since even if I gain 40 pounds I will still technically have a "normal" BMI for a non-pregnant person.  I'm still in all my old non-maternity clothes - I just bought stretchy long tunics as shirts so there is room for my belly - and still look like my normal skinny self except for the obvious bumb. Ug -  I HATE these arbitrarily applied birth-center policies!)  My midwife is very non-interventionist, and hasn't said anything about my weight, but she can't override the birth center policies, so if I really go over this limit, I'm pretty sure she will be legally required to notify someone...

Anyway, I was hoping to hear from others of you out there who gained swiftly in the second trimester (maybe to make up for slow/no first trimester gain) - did it slow down to around a pound per week in the third trimester?  

I'm not willing to change what I am eating or to take any particular action to try to change the weight gain, since I think what I am doing now diet/exercise-wise is healthy (and hasn't changed much the whole pregnancy), but I guess I'm just looking for encouragement...

Thanks for taking the time to read my post!

DD born at 40w2d on 1/19/2011

EDD for number 2 on 2/28/2014

#2 of 8 Old 12-13-2013, 11:09 AM

Sorry I'm no help with that weight gain pattern but I totally agree with you that their policy is crazy. Are weigh-ins mandatory at that birth center? My midwives office does not track weight gain, they just ask for your pre-pregnancy weight at the start (they need it for their records in case you birth in the hospital or need to transfer).

For the record I'm 6' tall, started my first pregnancy at 170 lbs (so pretty average as far as BMI goes) and gained 55 lbs this time (I actually didn't weigh myself at the end so it could have been a bit more). DD was average weight when born (7 lb 12 oz) and I lost all the weight I gained plus an extra 5 lbs after.

"They" say that an "average" weight gain in the second and third trimester is a pound per week so it is not outside the realm of possibility.

#3 of 8 Old 12-13-2013, 02:33 PM

Those rules are insane! How does gaining an extra five lbs risk you out of a birth center? My best advice would be to follow a gestational diabetes diet. It's very safe and you most likely won't gain a ton if you are on it. I didn't gain a pound in my last trimester with DD2 and she was over 9 lbs and totally healthy. I think the reason it helps is that you tend not to get too puffy. Something about the carb/protein balance
#4 of 8 Old 12-13-2013, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter
cww

Thanks for your encouragement, Ola_ and lucylucy.  It always helps me to feel better to hear from other supportive moms, especially when I feel caught in some part of this larger health system which doesn't seem to take individual circumstances into account.  The good news is that I talked to my midwife and the paper I have with this 40 lb policy is apparently not correct, as the limit is actually 50 lbs.  So that is a bit of a relief, since I don't think I will be over that (fingers crossed!). (Even so, I don't see why these sort of things should be an issue in a birth center anyway, since it's just one floor down from L&D!) 

#5 of 8 Old 12-15-2013, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I'm glad you'll get that extra wiggle room in there, as crazy as that blanket policy is. My weight gain has been almost identical to yours. Nothing in the first tri and then 2-3 pounds a week since then. I'm at 26 weeks and have already gained 24 pounds! I started at the bottom of a normal BMI too although I'm only 5'4". Really hoping this 2-3 pounds a week doesn't continue through the rest of the pregnancy! It is encouraging to see the post about not gaining in the last trimester, though I'd be happy with a pound a week. Just wanted to commemorate with you!

belly.gifGoing to be a mama! stork-girl.gif March '14
#6 of 8 Old 12-15-2013, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
cww

Thanks, newlypregnant.  Yes, these "one size fits all" policies really drive me nuts.  This particular birth center is really the only game in town if you don't want either a home or hospital birth, and they have really strict policies - I think the vast majority of people get risked out.  I'm right at 29 weeks now (and maybe up by 27-30 lbs), and I think the weight gain has been gradually slowing, I'm just not sure by how much!  If it is any consolation, I gained pretty close to 40 lbs last time, and it didn't cause any other problems and I didn't have any trouble losing it afterward (I think after about 6 months at most I was back to "normal").  Here is hoping that both of us have our weight gain slow down to the more "average" pound per week soon. :)

#7 of 8 Old 12-15-2013, 12:50 PM

I hate these policies, too.

I was denied by the freestanding birth center because I have a high bmi. They cited a bunch of statistics, none of which apply to me. I have low blood pressure, low blood sugar, a diet rich in fruits and vegetables and healthy fats (I work in the produce industry) and had an exceptionally healthy first pregnancy, gained an appropriate amount of weight for my size and had a fast, easy labor.

Despite that, a simple numbers policy means I have to go back to the hospital and deal with all of that.

I'm 34 weeks now and have not gained a single pound. I passed my GTT, and am doing well.

I'll probably put on 10-15 lbs over the next six weeks or so.

Someone who starts out on the other end of the spectrum (I'm also pushing 6 feet tall -- not as tall as you, but still...) should have more leeway with weight gain.
#8 of 8 Old 12-15-2013, 02:22 PM

WOW - i have no real help for you OP - but had to chime in and tell you that with my last pregnancy - the scale in my MW office only went up to 200 lbs - so i had to weigh in at home and tell her the number!  - i am 5'6"  and started the pregnancy at 235 , by the time i realized i was pregnant - i was 245 - by the time i got up the courage to tell my DH i was 255.  then it was Christmas.....by the time of my first official weigh in i was 275 and i weighed 297 when i finally had my son - (smoothly and easily) - at home!

Maybe you could write something up to appeal - just in case you do go a few pounds over - if you were underweight to start with that a gain of 45-6-7  lbs is not dangerous - BP normal, sugar normal etc....and just know who to submit it to prior to labor.

Its December so im back up to 275 again - if you find out who the policy makers are at the BC - id be happy to sit on them for you ! :thumb

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page