Need help on how to tell son... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-15-2013, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I am pregnant with baby #2 for me and it will be baby #5 for my boyfriend/fiancé. He has 4 with his ex-wife. I am needing help on how to tell my 8 year old son that he is going to be a big brother. I want to tell him soon but am worried about telling him as well as my late husbands family. I will have to tell them because my son goes to see them once a week. How do I tell them without them getting upset and no longer seeing my son?
#2 of 6 Old 12-15-2013, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Why would they stop seeing him?  I guess I don't understand the dynamic there.  Obviously, it is best to simply announce your exciting news and emphasize how happy you are.  You say he was your 'late' husband, I presume they don't expect you to remain in mourning forever. 

#3 of 6 Old 12-15-2013, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

My late husband committed suicide in 09. My son is from a previously failed relationship. My late husband and I never had children of our own even though he was the only dad my son knew. I am worried that my late husbands father won't take the news so well.
#4 of 6 Old 12-15-2013, 05:22 PM

I think the only thing you can do is to tell him- if you are worried about a reaction, maybe take him out for coffee or let him know somehow out of earshot for your son so he can process. .  It is so hard when someone commits suicide- it throws a whole extra layer into the emotions.  Even if your FIL doesn't take it well, you aren't responsible for his grief, and he can't expect you not to go on living your life.  

#5 of 6 Old 12-15-2013, 05:25 PM

The above said, it looks like you are very early in this pregnancy, there isn't necessarily a huge rush to shout from the rooftops (unless you want to.)

#6 of 6 Old 12-15-2013, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I hit 5 weeks tomorrow. In fact the only one to know other than y'all is my fiancé and our spin instructor. Lol! And I only told her because she is 2 months ahead of us in her pregnancy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page