Epi-No - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-16-2013, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Everyone!

This is a question for women in the U.S. who have gotten a friend to ship this device to them. My doctor has highly recommended it, and given that tearing and episiotomies are #2 on the list of things I'm trying to avoid (C-section being #1), it sounds like something worth having. 

So, my question is how you managed to get the device sent to you seeing as how the companies abroad who sell it aren't able to ship it to the US. I have a few friends in Europe who might be able to help me, but we want to make sure that a) they don't get into trouble for sending it to me and b) that they fill out the customs form in a way that won't inspire US customs to rip open the package in transit and confiscate it. 

Any recommendations would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm not going to need to start using it until early March, but I'm trying to sort all of this out now so that we're not trying to order at the last minute. 

Thanks in advance! 

#2 of 9 Old 12-16-2013, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I'm curious. What is this device?

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#3 of 9 Old 12-16-2013, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Hi, pokeyAC! You can read all about it here: http://www.epino.de/en/epi-no.html

It essentially helps get the body used to the sensation of crowning, etc. in preparation for the actual thing, and it can also be used to retrain the muscles after you give birth. I'd never heard of it before my doctor mentioned it to me, but it apparently works wonders. He's recommended it to his patients for years, especially first-timers like myself, and he told me he's seen a marked difference in the women who do train with it in the last month of pregnancy (i.e. shorter labor times, decreased anxiety, and far less tearing). Aside from the cost and the hassle of getting someone to discretely ship it to me, it sounds pretty worthwhile! 

#4 of 9 Old 12-16-2013, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Interesting! I had not heard of this before. I hope you are able to get your hands on one and that it is worth the hassle! An intact perineum is a wonderful thing.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#5 of 9 Old 12-16-2013, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!! Me too :) I'm just hoping to figure out a way to get it shipped that won't get any of my friends in trouble! 

#6 of 9 Old 12-16-2013, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Why do you think you might get in trouble for sending it?  Because it's a medical device?  I don't fully understand what the concern is.

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#7 of 9 Old 12-16-2013, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

LilyTiger,

I'm the one trying to order the device, and a friend overseas will have to be the one to ship it. What I'm concerned about is the fact that the Epi-No is not FDA-approved; despite it being well-tested, highly-recommended, and perfectly safe, this means that companies aren't allowed to ship it to the U.S. I would imagine that this rule also technically applies to individuals, and so I'm trying to see what people who have successfully gotten it shipped to them have done. I'm curious to know, for instance, what their friends wrote on the customs form, etc., because the last thing I'd want to do is get one of my friends into trouble for shipping something like this. 

#8 of 9 Old 12-17-2013, 05:47 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I see.  I would definitely look into it, though I'm pretty sure the FDA only regulates companies.  They wouldn't go after your friend and they would have no jurisdiction to if your friend is in another country (and is not a U.S. citizen?).  I know people who send other people tons of remedies from overseas that are not FDA approved and no one bothered to check.  It would be worth it to give a call to customs (perhaps not from your own phone) asking about this. 

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#9 of 9 Old 12-17-2013, 07:50 AM

I have a non-FDA approved device I was able to purchase from a company in Canada. No questions asked.

I don't anticipate any trouble coming from it, but it's considerate of you to be concerned for your friends.

“Joy is a net of love in which you can catch souls.” -Mother Teresa

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page