Thoughts on drinking/smoking weed while 2-3 months preg. - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 106 Old 01-27-2014, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
You equivocate "growing on the earth for thousands of years" to "being safely tested". I don't.

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

#92 of 106 Old 01-27-2014, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I'd rather smoke mj than take zofran for sure! I can't imagine I'd take zofran and since I'm too worried about testing positive for mj in blood id hair do nothing. They may be able to limit our choices with threats of immoral apprehension but it had been clearly established that the state can't force a pregnant woman to undergo medical treatment. So doing nothing is always an option, and is the one I choose 99% of the time.
#93 of 106 Old 01-27-2014, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just because someone says, "I did it, my baby is fine!" doesn't mean it's "safe", or just because you did it during one pregnancy, you can do it during another with the same results.

Nothing truly has been proven safe to do while pregnant. I panicked when I had to take antibiotics at 13 weeks. I panicked when I had a sip of champagne for new years.

I'd say, better play is safe than sorry. ANYTHING can happen, to anyone and any baby at any time.

If you're too selfish to not put something, that is potentially harmful, into your body, perhaps you should rethink your choices.

Yeah, I can see the medical benefits of pot, I get it. Does the BABY need to be subjected to your self medicating?

Nope.

Are there other alternatives, other than perscription drugs as well?

Always.

Do they always work?

No, but you should probably find a truly healthy way to combat certain ailments when there's another life growing inside of you.

#94 of 106 Old 01-27-2014, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I don't equivocate a manufactured drug as "being safely tested" to necessarily mean anything. 
My point is that if MJ is off limits because of the unknown risks, how is Zofran acceptable? Just because a group of scientists who may or may not have all the necessary research to 100% ensure the safety of its use say it's acceptable?
Do we really know just how harmful anything is to our unborn child?

I'm saying, how dare we judge each other. MJ or Zofran, who knows which is safe, which is harmful, and how can we judge one another on following our intuition? I prefer mj, you prefer zofran. We're both preferring something external to ease the unpleasant aspects of pregnancy. Are either absolutely necessary? Are either 100% guaranteed to cause 0 harm to our fetus during development, or with health complications later in life?

I'm saying, live and let live. Judge and be judged. None of us has the answer. We're just doing the best we can with the information we've sought out, and how we've made sense of it. I don't think any of us have the intention to harm our children. Regardless if others deem our choices as unacceptable. 

Viola P likes this.

#95 of 106 Old 01-27-2014, 10:17 AM

I agree with pp, it's all about personal choice.

happyday8598 likes this.
#96 of 106 Old 01-27-2014, 10:23 AM

So I wasn't too familiar about the risks of Zophran so i looked it up. HOLY CRAP it's scary:

"The serious side effects of this medication include blurred vision or temporary vision loss (lasting from only a few minutes to several hours), slow heart rate, trouble breathing, anxiety, agitation, shivering, feeling like you might pass out, and urinating less than usual or not at all. Stop taking Zofran and call your doctor at once if you have any of these side effects.

This medicine may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert."

And

"Ondansetron has been assigned to pregnancy category B by the FDA. Animal studies failed to reveal evidence of fetal damage. There are no controlled data in human pregnancy. Case reports have described two women who have received ondansetron during pregnancy for life-threatening hyperemesis gravidarum. No abnormalities were noted in the offspring of these two women. Ondansetron is only recommended for use during pregnancy when benefit outweighs risk."

I honestly don't understand how anyone who would be willing to take this while pregnant could simultaneously feel that mj consumption during pregnancy is too risky. Personally I would never take something like Zofran while pregnant. I would prefer to smoke weed, and since they can't compel a blood test during 1T and i refuse all bloodwork while pregnant, if i had morning sickness that was that bad and it came down to Zofran or mj, i would feel more comfortable with mj for sure. As it stands i never really had morning sickness with either pregnancy.

That's why it's all personal choice. I would definitely feel more comfortable exposing my baby to the risks associated with mj as opposed to Zofran. In reality i thankfully haven't had to make that choice.

happyday8598 likes this.
#97 of 106 Old 01-27-2014, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeItSnape View Post

Just because someone says, "I did it, my baby is fine!" doesn't mean it's "safe", or just because you did it during one pregnancy, you can do it during another with the same results.

Nothing truly has been proven safe to do while pregnant. I panicked when I had to take antibiotics at 13 weeks. I panicked when I had a sip of champagne for new years.

I'd say, better play is safe than sorry. ANYTHING can happen, to anyone and any baby at any time.

If you're too selfish to not put something, that is potentially harmful, into your body, perhaps you should rethink your choices.

Yeah, I can see the medical benefits of pot, I get it. Does the BABY need to be subjected to your self medicating?

Nope.

Are there other alternatives, other than perscription drugs as well?

Always.

Do they always work?

No, but you should probably find a truly healthy way to combat certain ailments when there's another life growing inside of you.

Do you drive or are a passenger in a car while you are pregnant?  It's so risky!  You're clearly too selfish to have a baby and should really rethink your life and priorities. 

Yes, Zofran is risky, so are a lot of things in life - you must make risk benefit analyses *constantly*, pregnant or not.  And for a lot of women the choice to use Zofran  is a no brainer - it's either that or terminate a wanted pregnancy.  I personally don't take to heart garbage spewed by randos on the internet, but I've lived the nightmare of HG and your above screed is ignorant, unhelpful,  and just plain cruel.  You do not get to scold suffering women who make different choices about their own bodies and their own babies.

me, my man, and our boys (1/08 and 3/11)

#98 of 106 Old 01-27-2014, 12:16 PM

I recently had to make a cost/benefit analysis about a drug, and I don't think it is fair for us to judge anyone who is doing that.  If the person is an addict, and using "medicinal use" as an excuse to toke up, that is one thing, but if they have done their research, and are making a choice about how to treat a real condition, that is another, and who are we to judge?

In my case, I decided to use Robetussin.  It is a category C drug.  I was sick with a really nasty virus, and up all night coughing.  I wasn't getting any rest, and was peeing myself every time I had a coughing fit.  The doctor I saw, said it was totally fine but only use it if you really need to.  He left it at that.  I did some of my own reading, and decided that without some sleep, I was not going to be able to get well.  I'm in my third trimester, which lessens a lot of risks, so I took Robetussin for one night.  A good night's sleep was all I needed to turn the corner and start feeling better.  If I hadn't taken anything I might have gotten better, or I might have continued to get worse and worse, and ended up one of those pregnant women in the hospital with pneumonia.

Was it my first choice to take a category C drug?  No way!  Was I in a position where I decided that the benefits outweighed the risks?  Yep!  It is not for us to judge someone who is making an educated, informed choice.  If I had waltzed out of the doctor's office and downed a whole bottle of the stuff, I think that would be a different story.  Acting in ignorance or without consideration is selfish and troubling.  Making the best choice you can, is different, and I don't think any of us should judge someone for doing that.

BTW, I think it can go the other way too.  Like, "I'm so crunchy that I only use home remedies and never take my kids to an evil MD who will give them antibiotics, even when they are very very ill."  That is also a willfully ignorant choice.  It's all about risk/benefit analysis and educating yourself from reliable sources.

mareseatoats likes this.
#99 of 106 Old 01-27-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie8681 View Post

You equivocate "growing on the earth for thousands of years" to "being safely tested". I don't.

Exactly.

I'm a Master Gardener... a lot of things can grow organic, strong and "natural" but they can also kill you. Datura, foxglove, castor bean, yew berries and many others to name a few.

Medicating your developing baby for your own pleasure is truly selfish. irked.gif

Women with chronic illnesses are between the rock and the hard place a lot of time on issues of this nature. Go un-medicated and risk losing your health and your sanity or stay on the drugs and risk your baby's health? It's a choice I never had to make. My heart goes out to any of you in this place.hug2.gif
#100 of 106 Old 01-27-2014, 12:41 PM

I personally wouldn't have a problem with smoking mj occasionally while pregnant if it weren't for the legal issues. I especially think it can be therapeutic for stress relief with far less risks than other anti-anxiety meds like Ativan or Clonazepam.

It really is about personal choice and personal assessment of risks/benefits. During my first pregnancy i didn't take anything at all, even for vicious heartburn, and ds had a weird issue with his urethra despite that i was pure as a nun. This time i decided, screw it, i'm not going through 7 months of heartburn hell, and i started taking Zantac, pretty much one (75 mg) per day since 3T and a few times before that too, and this baby has zero risks.

For some, the benefits of mj will outweigh the risks, and that will be clear to them. For others, it won't. It's all about personal decisions.

#101 of 106 Old 01-28-2014, 04:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post

Exactly.

I'm a Master Gardener... a lot of things can grow organic, strong and "natural" but they can also kill you. Datura, foxglove, castor bean, yew berries and many others to name a few.

Medicating your developing baby for your own pleasure is truly selfish. irked.gif

Women with chronic illnesses are between the rock and the hard place a lot of time on issues of this nature. Go un-medicated and risk losing your health and your sanity or stay on the drugs and risk your baby's health? It's a choice I never had to make. My heart goes out to any of you in this place.hug2.gif

philomom, those herbs that you've listed have proven time and time again to be toxic. Of course we wouldn't go out and nibble on foxglove, bc we've already established how toxic it is (deadly even). MJ has *not* been proven time and time again to be toxic, but has been proven in other medicinal realms to act as just that... a medicine. 

I wish people would stop calling each other selfish for their actions while pregnant. Being pregnant is selfish! Calling each other selfish is only going to keep the defenses up amongst those contributing to this discussion, and will abruptly stop any logical conversation from happening. 

mattie426 likes this.

#102 of 106 Old 01-28-2014, 05:11 AM

Totally OT, but probably worth it to lighten the mood. Every time I read MJ, my brain says Michael Jackson. Reread this thread and insert Michael Jackson for marajuana, and it gets pretty silly. ;-)
#103 of 106 Old 01-28-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyday8598 View Post

philomom, those herbs that you've listed have proven time and time again to be toxic. Of course we wouldn't go out and nibble on foxglove, bc we've already established how toxic it is (deadly even). MJ has *not* been proven time and time again to be toxic, but has been proven in other medicinal realms to act as just that... a medicine. 

MJ is listed a toxic plant in my gardening textbooks.
#104 of 106 Old 01-28-2014, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
MJ is listed as an ingredient in my cookbooks.
#105 of 106 Old 01-28-2014, 03:52 PM

^^ and then there's this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-iU9QN0fEM

#106 of 106 Old 01-28-2014, 06:21 PM

Please don't do this, I didn't have time to read all the posts, but the first trimester is the most crucial for babies development.  If you are stressed, talk to your doctor about safe ways of coping while pregnant.  blessings.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page