If you had a fast labor, was the next birth also fast? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 50 Old 03-22-2014, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

13 hours for the first one.

4 hours for the second.

35 months apart.

Me (33), DH (35) and DD1 (3) conceived naturally after 6 months. After TTC#2 for 15 months, finally got a pos.gif on my second cycle of Clomid, DD2 born Sept, 2013. Can I convince my DH it's a great idea to have another one?
#32 of 50 Old 03-22-2014, 10:34 AM

First: 20+ hours of labor, including 4 pushing (badly positioned baby, probably encouraged to push too soon)
Second: less than one hour, unplanned unassisted birth

3.3 years apart.

Both babies born at home, third one will be, too. I will let you know how this one goes!!!

I have read in a few places that first births are hard, second births are easy, and third births are unpredictable.

Expat mama to my 7-year-old Halloween boy and my cheeky preschooler, who came before the midwife in January 2010... Gestating a new bean, debuting spring 2014!
#33 of 50 Old 03-24-2014, 08:30 AM

Well, with years apart for some of you ladies I feel like mine may go quicker this time. My first was born 6 years ago and my labor was about 12 hours. I guess we'll see.

~*Have more than you show, speak less than you know*~

#34 of 50 Old 03-31-2014, 08:56 AM

#1 - 3 hours, 8 min

#2 - 47 minutes

#3  - 1 hour 40 min (would have been shorter had I not had severe polyhydramnios)

#4 - 1 minute? 

With #'s 1, 2 and 4 I started active labor when I was heading into transition. So I made it to 6-7 cm without being in active labor. I was 5 cm for more than a week with my first and forth. With my last baby, I made it to 6 cm, but was not in active labor at all. And then BAM! I went from 6 cm, -2 station with a swollen cervix to birth in about one minute. He just shot out. I didn't see it coming. We figured within the hour from the time she checked me, but not a couple minutes after getting off the phone with my mom telling her I was getting impatient and waiting for labor to start. It was a crazy birth. I didn't "labor" at all.

It will be interesting to see how #5 goes. I'll be planning another homebirth.

Aeona - married to super hot nerd Toby . . . mama to Grace (9) Evangeline (7) Duncan 11.14.08 angel2.gif  and rainbow1284.gif Henry (4) born at home. Expecting again December 7th! baby.gif 
#35 of 50 Old 03-31-2014, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespertina View Post

He just shot out. I didn't see it coming.

My #3 was just like that. SHOT OUT crazy

#36 of 50 Old 03-31-2014, 01:43 PM

#1 was 14 hours
16 mos later, #2 was 3 hours
21 mos later, #3 was about 12 hrs

Eta: I was also concerned that #3 was going to be as fast and as intense as #2 had been. I spent a lot of time at the end of the pregnancy meditating on how I wanted it to go, picturing and imagining it would go like #1. All three were natural births, no interventions, 1st was in hospital, 2nd and 3rd were homebirths, 2 different midwives.
The 3rd did go much more like my first: steady, relaxed, "textbook", although there were still unique differences in timing of contractions, length of pushing, etc.

#2 was my biggest baby, and was double-compound presentation (one arm and one elbow came out ahead of/with the head).
Who knows, maybe if I had had a "normal" (for me) longer steadier labor it would have been unbearable, so the short (although terribly intense and almost unbearable) labor was perhaps a blessing, since she was presenting like that.
I'm due with #4 in Sept, and I'm trying not to be fearful!
To sum up, my experience has shown differences, based each circumstance.
newmama8824 and lactatinggirl like this.
#37 of 50 Old 04-02-2014, 04:36 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Yes.

#1 was induced, 26 hours total, 3 hours pushing.

#2 was spontaneous, woke up at 4:45 a.m. in labor, left at 5:45 for hospital midwives (had to wait for my mom to get down to watch #1), got there and then pushed baby out in 8 minutes.  2 hour labor total.  Dh even missed catching him!

#3 was born at home because riding to the hospital at 10 cm with #2 was so miserable I never wanted to do it again.  3 hours total labor, don't remember how long to push, but the extra hour was because she had a nuchal hand.

#4 was born at home and was about 3 hours total.

If we have another, I would have another home birth or go to the hospital that is only 7 minutes away, even though there are no midwives there, just because I think it would be that quick again.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
#38 of 50 Old 04-10-2014, 01:58 PM

#1 - 1.5 hours
#2 - 6 hours
#3 - 1 hour
#4 - 6 hours

#39 of 50 Old 05-03-2014, 09:01 AM

#1 thirteen hours

#2 five and a half hours

#3 six and a half hours

#4 water broke earlier and active labor to baby was three to four hours

#5 water broke earlier and active labor to baby was two hours and forty five minutes.

with the first three, my water broke during the pushing stage; having my water break first was a great indicator for me, lol

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#40 of 50 Old 05-03-2014, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
My first was 38 hours with an op baby and an impatient care provider trying to get me to have an unnecessary c-section (horrible experience). My second was 11.5 hours, the first 7 hours were early labour and so pretty easy (wasn't even sure it was the real thing because it was so different and less painful than with the op baby), and it was all not too bad except the last 20 minutes or so which were pretty intense. The second seemed so fast compared with the first!
#41 of 50 Old 05-03-2014, 02:31 PM

4 hrs including the hour between the first and second contractions, then, stupid nurse insisted on a cs so I will never know how much longer from 8cm it would have been.

45 minutes. My mom caught the baby.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherFamily View Post

My first was about 12 hours, posterior, on my back at the hospital. Just saying it maybe would have been faster at home.

With the others, I have lots of Braxton hicks towards the end, randomly. They dont change my cervix, though, and are just annoying. I don't have early labor. I go from random contractions over the last several weeks to transistion, basically.

My second was the worst...30 minutes from first real contraction to holding him.

My third calmed.down a bit. I woke up feeling "off", finally contractions started, and she was born 6 hours from when I woke up, four from when contractions started. That was my favorite labor. Never go hard, just happened.

My fourth was about an hour and a half.

My fifth labor was crazy. From first real contraction to holding her was less than 45 minutes.

That is me, my first at the hospital went sideways, but my second labor was crazy, but not like you have any choices at that point, lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSage View Post

#1 - 8 hrs, 2 hrs of it pushing
#2 - 3 hrs, 2 contractions worth of pushing. She came out so fast it took 2 people to catch her.
#3 - 45 min, 2 contractions worth of pushing.

All three started with a bang. Go from walking around feeling perfectly normal (for late pregnancy) to hard labor. It hit out of nowhere, really.

This. People keep asking me how I feel and I have no idea. I feel like I'm clueless but really I think I just go straight to transition!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea View Post

If we have another, I would have another home birth or go to the hospital that is only 7 minutes away, even though there are no midwives there, just because I think it would be that quick again.

We are trying to get to the birth center this time, but we will see.
#42 of 50 Old 05-03-2014, 04:34 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Yes. All three were broken waters and the first was longer and weird because of poor positioning. But #2 was two hours start to finish after my labor started and so was #3. And thank god because they were tough tough labors. 

#43 of 50 Old 05-09-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyMamaToBe View Post

First: 20+ hours of labor, including 4 pushing (badly positioned baby, probably encouraged to push too soon)
Second: less than one hour, unplanned unassisted birth

3.3 years apart.

Both babies born at home, third one will be, too. I will let you know how this one goes!!!

I have read in a few places that first births are hard, second births are easy, and third births are unpredictable.

Third labor started with barely noticeable contractions about 8 hours before baby was born... I thought I had a stomach thing. Serious labor lasted about 3 hours.

Expat mama to my 7-year-old Halloween boy and my cheeky preschooler, who came before the midwife in January 2010... Gestating a new bean, debuting spring 2014!
#44 of 50 Old 05-15-2014, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

first labour:  8.5 hours

second labour:  2 hours

third labour:  2 hours 10 mins

Momma to K ('01), E ('03) and A ('07)
Acting as a Gestational Surrogate for my cousin, EDD Jan 17th
#45 of 50 Old 05-19-2014, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

1st labor:  9 hours (induced by AROM), 8 lb 3 oz baby

2nd labor: 2 hours, 10 lb baby

3rd labor: 2 hours, 9 lb 9 oz baby

4th labor: 24 minutes, 9 lb 8 oz baby

5th labor: ~ 1 hour 20 min (he was posterior, things picked up once he turned over), 10 lb 6 oz baby

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#46 of 50 Old 05-19-2014, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

1st- 2 hours labor, 2 hours pushing, 10.5 lb baby

2nd- 6 hours, 10 lb baby

3rd- 6 hours, 9.5 lb baby

The labors got easier each time, too.

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#47 of 50 Old 05-19-2014, 08:39 PM

These are so interesting to read!

I had a pretty fast first labour - 6hrs from first real contraction to babe in arms. However, my midwife broke my water unintentionally during a cervical check when I was at 5cm. So I'm sure THAT sped things up. It was honestly too fast for me. It got so intense so fast. And being my first time, I jut didn't handle it well. I felt so out if control.

So for the second time around, I was absolutely expecting a faster labour. But it didn't happen! Labour was almost 21 hrs long! But I actually enjoyed labour more. I was able to manage much better because things progressed at a slower, steadier rate.

I believe there were many factors that contributed to my second labour being longer:
*no artificial rupture of membranes
*baby was posterior until the very end
*i was only 38+5 (as opposed to 40+1 for my first labour)
#48 of 50 Old 05-20-2014, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm really curious about this too! My only labor was 5.5 hours and he came out posterior. I imagine it would have been even faster if he had not been posterior! It was crazy intense.

#49 of 50 Old 05-20-2014, 03:07 PM

#1 - 28 hours

#2- 5.5 hours

#3- 4 hours

#4- 1-2 hours

Mom to 5 wonderful kids (9, 6, 4, 2 and 0), 1 adopted through foster care.

#50 of 50 Old 05-21-2014, 02:45 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Baby # 1 60 hours ( not kidding- super long early labor followed by vaginal birth with tons of pit & epidural)
Baby #2 -2 hours from 1st real contraction to holding baby (AROM at 39 weeks due to suspected IUGR , which he did not have!)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page