disinfecting with isopropyl alcohol? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-27-2014, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Mamas,

I'm early in my second trimester and for a number of weeks now have been cleaning a toddler potty 2-3 times per day with isopropyl alcohol.  My usual practice has been to use vinegar or hydrogen peroxide, but my spray bottles broke, I ran out of vinegar, ran out of peroxide, forgot to carry vinegar upstairs from the kitchen, etc.  I resorted to the alcohol because I have often seen it on lists of good less-toxic-than-some cleaning solutions, though I avoided it completely during my last pregnancy.  Today I saw it on several lists of substances that are not safe for pregnancy.  Does anyone have any experience with this?

I'm not sure exactly how many times I have used it, but more than 2 or 3, and it wasn't just swabs, but pours from the bottle resulting in a strong smell. I have tried to breathe the freshest air possible and to get away from the fumes as quickly as I could, but I definitely have had significant exposure. I would be so grateful for any comments or reliable links.

Thank you all so much!

toddler.giffamilybed1.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF  waterbirth.jpg. Can't wait to homeschool.gif.

gd.gifsigncirc1.gifwhale.gif
#2 of 4 Old 01-31-2014, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Do any moms have some experience or advice to share?

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#3 of 4 Old 01-31-2014, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I can only say we used it extensively in the hospital (not in spray form, mind you) but on swabs and also in the hand foam (used 200+ times daily).  There were no warnings or hesitations put forward in relation to pregnant women and they are pretty on-top of that stuff.  None of my co-workers had any issues with their pregnancies.

#4 of 4 Old 01-31-2014, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
If you're concerned about it, hot, soapy water is a perfectly acceptable cleaner. It is what is used on most equipment in hospitals. We only use alcohol for swabbing IV ports and one or two other procedures, and the hand rub as the PP mentioned.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page